Author Topic: Calling Dallas/Fort Worth Mustachians -- new to DFW  (Read 4947 times)

dfw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Calling Dallas/Fort Worth Mustachians -- new to DFW
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
I just moved from NYC to the Fort Worth area. So far, I am loving it and am excited to be in Texas. The one thing that threw me off initially was the fact that I need to drive everywhere (no public transportation really), but I have somewhat come around to that realization.

I learned to be a Mustachian in NYC and would love to continue that in DFW, but so far, I am coming up a bit short and would appreciate hearing any tips/tricks of living in DFW from locals.

Where do you shop for groceries? In NYC, there were several ethnic/local markets within a mile of me, and here in Fort Worth, I am seeing a lot of Central Market's, Tom Thumb's, and Kroger's but not a ton of Asian/ethnic grocery stores.

Where are the good thrift stores? I had my repertoire of NYC thrift stores on 23rd Street but haven't really found anything here suited for a young female professional. I came across Clothes Mentor but paying ~ $20 for a used blouse seems to defeat the purpose of going to a thrift store.

Also, what are some Mustachian things to do in Fort Worth/Dallas? (and additionally, where does one meet Mustachians in DFW?)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Calling Dallas/Fort Worth Mustachians -- new to DFW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Welcome to DFW!

For groceries, we have found that getting the Safeway app and using Tom Thumb is the best bang for your buck. We also have several Aldi's in the area which are also cheap, but they don't meet SO's quality standards. There are some Asian grocers in my neck of the woods (Richardson), but we don't utilize them really. Sprouts is also nice if you have one in the area. Wednesday is the best day to go, as they have their their sale items run from Weds-Weds, so you have twice as many items on sale.

We both work in education, so we are able to create get all of our clothing choices done at Target and Old Navy on the cheap, so I can't really help with the clothing side.

I don't have a good answer on the activities side, sadly. Ft. Worth can be fun for some days trips. The FW zoo is pretty impressive. The Perot museum is also nice, but not necessarily cheap. Clyde Warren Park is nice to walk around later in the year (when it stops be 105 degrees every day). During the summer, the wife and I tend to have friend over or go to others houses to hang out, go to movies during off peak times (or for free, thanks Alamo Drafthouse and your love of teachers), etc. It's just too hot to be outside much this time of year, imo. The Half-price Books on Northwest Highway is impressive and I could spend the day there personally (also has a little cafe attached).

It can be hard to stick to mustachianism down here since most DFW residents take pride in flaunting their wealth (it is a cultural tradition), but with the low COL and a good job, you can certainly build quite a stache.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »
For groceries ALDI is by far the best, and they are everywhere.

LDoon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »
I shop mainly at Sprouts (none in Fort Worth area at the moment) but also at Krogers for a lot of staples.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »
Welcome, we've been here for about 2 years and it's been okay thus far. For food, we go mostly to Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Costco. If you watch what you buy, you get fantastic quality at a great price at all these stores. As for cheap stuff to do, there is a ton of stuff, but as you mentioned, they all require driving. You can check out the Lifestyle section of Dallas News.com and find activities to take part in. There are lots of lakes and nature preserves as well as some state parks in the area, depending on how outdoorsy you are. However, that will have to wait until next month or so since we've been having this heat wave. It's been said the pastime of Dallas is shopping and boy is it true. Have fun!

Snownoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
Hi hi! Welcome

What part of the metroplex do you live in (I saw FW, but, as you know, FW is HUGE)? The TRE is a great way to get around, depending on where you need to go. I take it from downtown Fort Worth to Centerport then jump on the MAX bus to UTA in Arlington where I work. Since I'm a staff member on campus, I get the discounted rate of $40 a month. There are a lot of buses that stop at the train station. And they always seem packed.

Where to grocery shop will also depend on where you live. The Costco in Arlington, I had horrible luck with their produce and was always disappointed. The other Costcos may be better. I love Central Market (CM) and you can get great produce for great prices if you don't let the shiny blind you. Their meat and fish is also excellent, less expensive than Whole Foods, but still expensive (I produce my own meat, so I don't really keep up with meat prices). Perhaps Farm to Fork would be a good option there. CM is a monthly or once-every-other-week thing for me. There are a lot of asian markets in Arlington and a lot of Mexican meat markets, so it again depends on where in the metroplex you live.

Things to do? I don't know. Lol. I like to bike the Trinity, brew beer, cook meals with friends.

Migs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • That'll do, pig. That'll do.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:05:28 PM »
For food, we go mostly to Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Costco. If you watch what you buy, you get fantastic quality at a great price at all these stores.

+1 I agree - these stores are probably the most convenient. If you're looking for asian/ethnic groceries, you may have to drive out to Haltom City, Arlington, Carrollton, or Richardson. I'm sure there are other places, but those are the cities I know of in DFW that will probably have asian/ethnic groceries.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
Winco is really well priced for groceries as well.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
I just moved from NYC to the Fort Worth area. So far, I am loving it and am excited to be in Texas. The one thing that threw me off initially was the fact that I need to drive everywhere (no public transportation really), but I have somewhat come around to that realization.

I learned to be a Mustachian in NYC and would love to continue that in DFW, but so far, I am coming up a bit short and would appreciate hearing any tips/tricks of living in DFW from locals.

Where do you shop for groceries? In NYC, there were several ethnic/local markets within a mile of me, and here in Fort Worth, I am seeing a lot of Central Market's, Tom Thumb's, and Kroger's but not a ton of Asian/ethnic grocery stores.

Where are the good thrift stores? I had my repertoire of NYC thrift stores on 23rd Street but haven't really found anything here suited for a young female professional. I came across Clothes Mentor but paying ~ $20 for a used blouse seems to defeat the purpose of going to a thrift store.

Also, what are some Mustachian things to do in Fort Worth/Dallas? (and additionally, where does one meet Mustachians in DFW?)

Driving:  I thought using the tollways were efficient to get to my job everyday.  Well, $1200 for the 1Q and I stopped using them.  My commute increased by 15 minutes.  Not a big deal in my mind.  Everything is "30 minutes away" so get used to it.

Groceries:  Costco (twice a month)+ Walmart (essentials, weekly) combo here.

Thrift stores:  No idea.  Plato's Closet? 

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
Groceries: We live in Grand Prairie and there are multiple Asian and Mexican markets within 10 minutes of our house. We also go to Sprout's weekly and get stuff mid-week at the Tom Thumb that's less than 2 miles from home.

Thrift Stores: Do Ross and Marshall's count?

Stuff to do: Make friends and host game nights, BYOB

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
Buy a new Tahoe on credit and make sure your commute is at least 45 minutes each way. Go on ski trips to Colorado in the winter and beach trips to Destin/Seaside/Watercolor in the summer. Make the drive to Whole Foods. Send your kids to TCU/SMU/Baylor. Love football. This is the North Texas way.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
Buy a new Tahoe on credit and make sure your commute is at least 45 minutes each way. Go on ski trips to Colorado in the winter and beach trips to Destin/Seaside/Watercolor in the summer. Make the drive to Whole Foods. Send your kids to TCU/SMU/Baylor. Love football. This is the North Texas way.

Oh brother! Here I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!