Author Topic: Calling all parents::Travel system or infant stroller  (Read 8377 times)

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Calling all parents::Travel system or infant stroller
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:46:26 PM »
I am expecting my first child and I am due in February. I haven't bought any baby items yet but I have done some research up until this point. I am really confused about buying a travel system versus buying the car seat plus a separate stroller. Me and DH go for long walks everyday(1+ hours) and would really like to have a jogging stroller as well.

The travel systems I have looked at (Graco, Chicco and Britax) are expensive and run into the high 200's -500's range. I am looking at buying a convertible car seat like this one:Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Coda and then get a separate jogging stroller. I am thinking of carrying the baby around at all other times when I do not have the stroller with me.

Is this a viable plan? Is there anything I am missing here?

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Calling all parents::Travel system or infant stroller
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply IowaStache. I didn't even know that jogging travel systems existed :(. I have so much to learn. It is so overwhelming to be a new parent. My friends have given me suggestions but it is all tailored to their situation.

This is the same with the convertible car seat.  Great in theory, but if you think you're going to have a second kid you're going to need an infant seat for them.  So you give them the MR65 only to go out and buy a stage 2-4 seat for the first one. 

I thought the car seat was one item which you had to buy new. At least that is what I have been reading on all the blogs.

Also, if I'm allowed to share previous employer I can tell you when everything goes on sale.

Can I PM you?

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
Travel system with stroller, base, and infant car seat. After he/she outgrows the infant car seat you will still use the stroller for a long time. But the bigger toddler seat will be needed

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:25:05 AM »
I liked having a baby car seat that was removable (such as comes w/ a travel system). My kids didn't do well when they were asleep and I had to take them out of the car seat (such as with a convertible seat). They would wake up and be crying messes for a significant amount of time. So, I would recommend an infant car seat until they outgrow it, with a stroller that allows you to just clip the seat into place. I guess these are called travel systems now - my oldest is 12 so it has been a while since I purchased such things.

As for the jog stroller - check for a used one. The baby will fit into a jog stroller. without car seat, starting around 4-6 months. I did find that the jog stroller was large and didn't fit in the trunk of my car as well as the regular stroller.

Ultimately, I did end up with a lot of strollers. Mostly purchased used: original stroller that would hold infant car seat and also as they got bigger (baby shower gift), single jogger (purchased used), umbrella stroller ($15 or something - very cheap), then double jogger when baby #2 came along (purchased new for about $100 on black Friday). Used the heck out of the joggers because I tended to take very long walks and older kid could pop in and out of the double as he liked. Eventually, as older stopped using the stroller all together the double jogger went, then the regular stroller, single jogger, then the umbrella stroller. Strollers last a long time and will make it though more than one kid, or can be sold or resold.

As far as car seats go the infant seat was reused for baby 2. Both kids then had convertible seats until they were large enough for belt-positioning boosters, and now no car seats at all for my giant children.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:47 AM »
I have four kids. I did just what you plan, op. Convertible carseat from birth. Jogging stroller and baby carriers. Look for a stroller with a flat recline that you can use with an infant.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
We bought a convertible car seat for DD1, and were gifted a nice stroller that would lay flat.  They were both a PITA.  Now that kids spend so many more years in some type of car seat/booster, and especially if you plan on more than one kid, it is much easier to get a succession of car seats that fit the age/size/ability of your child now.  The infant carrier type that you clip in and out with the baby inside were great for the first year - no waking baby each time, easier to get baby into (inside house, instead of leaning into car), can use as baby napper/seat inside, too.  Once the child outgrows this, regular car seat, followed by booster after 4 or so.  Next child can use previous stage seat.

For strollers, eventually we found we liked umbrella strollers best - small, lightweight, easy to open/close, easy to maneuver, fit in cars easily.  I've never used a jogging stroller, so maybe they are an improvement, but the bigger strollers with all the bells and whistles were hard to handle, especially on uneven ground.  In crowds, or even stores, they were much too big.

From a mom of 5.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
I took my babies regularly for 1-2 hour walks (I had organizes a 1-2x a week "strollercise" with a group of local moms). We didn't have a jogging stroller although I had an "all-terrain" stroller (bigger bulkier wheels). I later transitioned to a more compact mall stroller (a few more bells and whistles than umbrella strollers, which I also had lol). Jogging strollers move smoother but for walking on paved paths, a normal stroller worked just fine. I much preferred my more compact stroller and was glad to get rid of my all-terrain beast. Much easier to navigate indoors and much easier to pack in the car and in the house.

And yes, I was a fan of the travel system myself. mind you, we did have a car and use it a fair bit.

You can buy it used - if you can feel comfortable that it had never been in an accident and is not "expired" (I believe carseats nowadays expire in about 4-6 years). Strollers can be dirt-cheap on the resale market so I preferred to buy and resell as my needs changed rather than trying to make one single device fit years of needs.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
adding a separate issues, but we ended up with a stroller and a separate infant seat. We used a pram attachement to the stroller for the first 6 months ish.
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Deluxe-Pram-Black/dp/B00GODPB6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450210356&sr=8-1&keywords=deluxe+pram
Fits a baby jogger city (although confusingly not a jogging stroller).

I did some reading and believe there is some research backing up my unease about having your baby smushed into the car seat position for a long time. People have their baby in the car a long time, then take the seat out and the baby sleep in the seat. I don't see how that can be good for a developing back..  We like having the pram and it also doubles as a nice mobile crib around the house. And rocking it would put him to sleep. It helped that we got the stroller from one set of grandparents and the pram from the others

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
I don't know if this is an option, but my husband and I used, and still use, a baby carrier to take our son everywhere (he is almost a year now). We have even gone on 5 hour hikes (with 3000 ft elevation) carrying him. We never used a stroller and preferred the carrier (once we found the right one for us and our son!). I don't have the stroller to compare to, but our son loved being carried everywhere and he would nap as he pleased and woke up and looked around and enjoyed being outdoors with us - plus we had both our hands free, which I really found to be helpful. I especially liked how on cooler days, it would keep both us warm! Although on warm/hot days, you have the opposite problem...but it wasn't too big of a deal for us.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but maybe this can supplement a stroller or travel system (btw, I have no clue what that is!) for you :)

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
I have 9 month old twins so obviously my situation is different. I bought a travel system, but I had to because I couldn't carry two babies by myself. If I had one baby,  I might consider foregoing the whole travel system and  doing what someone else mentioned. I'd get a convertible carseat and a jogging stroller with seats that recline to flat (check out Baby Jogger X3). Id get a lillebaby carrier and carry my baby when grocery shopping etc. My boys are 21 pounds now and are growing out of their infant seats.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
We had a travel system (Evenflo, I believe) with a base for each car.  It was wonderful not having to wake up the baby to get them in or out of a car seat, especially in the winter when they are all bundled up.  The lay-flat stroller was nice once they outgrew the carrier.

Bought two convertible car seats (one for each car) and a booster seat when the younger was ready to move into a front-facing car seat (older one met requirements to move to a booster).  Always buy the car seats new.

We also had an umbrella stroller, which ended up being left at my mom's (she watched the kids one day a week and it beat lugging the big stroller over there).  I'm too tall to use it comfortably.  Regular stroller with space for the diaper bag underneath was very useful.

Could I probably have done it slightly cheaper?  Yes.  Was the extra expense of multiple car seats / strollers worth it in saved aggravation?  Absolutely.

FYI, Pack & Plays are the biggest waste of money ever.

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Thanks for all the replies fellow mustachians. I am leaning towards getting a jogger travel system, which includes an infant car seat and a jogging stroller. I am planning to have more kids in the future and I am thinking I might get more than one year of use out of the infant car seat.

I wish there was a handbook for this. Too many options is too confusing for a budget conscious shopper.

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
I don't know if this is an option, but my husband and I used, and still use, a baby carrier to take our son everywhere (he is almost a year now). We have even gone on 5 hour hikes (with 3000 ft elevation) carrying him. We never used a stroller and preferred the carrier (once we found the right one for us and our son!). I don't have the stroller to compare to, but our son loved being carried everywhere and he would nap as he pleased and woke up and looked around and enjoyed being outdoors with us - plus we had both our hands free, which I really found to be helpful. I especially liked how on cooler days, it would keep both us warm! Although on warm/hot days, you have the opposite problem...but it wasn't too big of a deal for us.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but maybe this can supplement a stroller or travel system (btw, I have no clue what that is!) for you :)

I was thinking of getting a baby carrier instead of a stroller. But I doubt if I could carry by baby everywhere especially when I go for long walks when the baby is more than a year old. Hoping to get many years of use out of the stroller.

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
We had a travel system (Evenflo, I believe) with a base for each car.  It was wonderful not having to wake up the baby to get them in or out of a car seat, especially in the winter when they are all bundled up.  The lay-flat stroller was nice once they outgrew the carrier.

Bought two convertible car seats (one for each car) and a booster seat when the younger was ready to move into a front-facing car seat (older one met requirements to move to a booster).  Always buy the car seats new.

We also had an umbrella stroller, which ended up being left at my mom's (she watched the kids one day a week and it beat lugging the big stroller over there).  I'm too tall to use it comfortably.  Regular stroller with space for the diaper bag underneath was very useful.

Could I probably have done it slightly cheaper?  Yes.  Was the extra expense of multiple car seats / strollers worth it in saved aggravation?  Absolutely.

FYI, Pack & Plays are the biggest waste of money ever.

I might end up getting a convertible car seat in addition to the travel system since both me and my hubby drive to work and will end up alternating picking/dropping our baby at daycare. But I think I will wait to buy it till it gets really inconvenient to switch out the car seat frequently.

smella

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »

I thought the car seat was one item which you had to buy new. At least that is what I have been reading on all the blogs.

From what I understand, the concern with used car seats is whether or not it has been in a car accident.   My sister in law just gifted me her infant seat. Since I know the entire history of the seat, no worries.  Why would it become spontaneously unsafe after 2 years of gentle use?

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
Travel system all the way. The benefits of transferring a sleeping infant to/from stroller and car is worth it. If all you are doing is walking, you do not need a jogging stroller. Also keep in mind those are hard to maneuver - really just meant for jogging in a straight line. WE have the britax travel system and it handles everything from narrow mall aisles to the dirt roads of the zoo.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
A Britax travel system does sound great. If your budget is lower, then maybe a used jogging stroller :-). If you are just walking with it, then a cheap one is fine. (I had a BabyTrend with a swiveling or lockable front wheel. It did not jog well but was GREAT for walking, and with the wheel unlocked was very maneuverable. You would then also want a lightweight stroller for the car--maybe a used Snap N Go for the first few months if you get a baby bucket seat.

I "wore" my babies a lot, but there were times I just really, really didn't want to unstrap them from the car seat. But now that you are supposed to rear-face kids till age 2, you will definitely also need a convertible seat. Baby will get too TALL for the bucket way before 2!

canadian bacon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »
We got a BOB jogging stroller and bought the separate adaptor to attach our graco infant seat.   The infant seat licks right in.  Once the child is out of the infant seat, the adaptor has a little snack tray.  We really loved the BOB stoller and even took it hiking.   never needed another Stroller.  Looking at others we felt the need to buy a cheap portable/stroller but we honestly may have used the cheap one 2 times.  It is hard to go to a cheap stroller when the jogging stroller is SO nice.  Smooth, nice ride, Easy to push, maneuverable, high enough that our kids stayed put for the most part...  A little bulky but who cares.

Oh, we got one of the jogging strollers with the swivel front wheel that is lockable for a jog.  Found it annoying to walk with the front when locked so this was perfect.  BOB stoller resale is decent so we need to clean ours up and sell it in the spring

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:56 AM »
As a curious aside from a not-yet-parent, has anyone had issues with motion sickness in infants/toddlers, or does this only kick in on longer drives/ as they get older?

I also had a quick Google of umbrella strollers and jogging strollers - there didn't seem to be any difference. Can someone clarify for me?

bearandmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:11 AM »
True jogging strollers have a locked front wheel.  We hated that feature as a walker because turning corners is a PIA.  We found a stroller with big wheels that has non-locking front wheels and like that so much better.  Of course, there are safety reasons for having locked wheels on strollers that runners use.

Buy Buy Baby stores have their strollers available to test drive around the store. If you don't know the differences between these types, you can test drive there.

Also, consider whether you have a place to leave the stroller set up or whether it will be regularly folded/unfolded.  Not all strollers can be easily folded.  The jogging stroller we had didn't fold.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
As a curious aside from a not-yet-parent, has anyone had issues with motion sickness in infants/toddlers, or does this only kick in on longer drives/ as they get older?

I also had a quick Google of umbrella strollers and jogging strollers - there didn't seem to be any difference. Can someone clarify for me?

Neither of my kids had any sort of motion sickness.  In fact, until they were about 2, a car ride meant instant nap.  7.5 and 3.5 today, and neither has developed an issue with car sickness.  I have friends where one kid would get car sick but their others never had issues.  I guess it's up to the individual child.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »

Some babies/toddlers scream in the car, whether due to car sickness, general discomfort in the seat, or infant contrariness.  My kids both screamed regularly.  It sucks if you have a screamer.  If they are barfers, they may barf in the car seat, and everywhere else.  It is really totally unpredictable.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Another option for the walks is the ErgoBaby or something similar.  We bought ours new 6 years ago when our first came along.  We also got the infant insert so you can use it before they can hold their head up.  It is wonderful for getting our little ones to fall asleep.  It's also pretty small so it's easy to take with you.  It can work for kids up to 35-40 pounds.  Our almost three year old asks to be in it when her little brother comes out.

One downside is that you can't put a sleeping kid into it without waking them up (or take a sleeping kid out without waking them up--most likely).  It really shines in working for hikes and that type of thing where a stroller probably won't cut it due to bumpy terrain or narrow paths.

One thing that I didn't see brought up is that a lot of travel system strollers leave some performance lacking on snowy/icy sidewalks or rough terrain.  I don't know if that is a reality where you live, but we needed to replace a wheel on our travel stroller after clipping something rigid on a snowy walk once.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
Another option for the walks is the ErgoBaby or something similar.

That's what we did.  We got an infant carseat (free) from the hospital.  Otherwise, we would have done a convertible.  We have a stroller (Britax B-Agile, from craigslist) and a few different wearing options.  When DD was tiny, we used a woven wrap.  Now, my wife usually uses a ring sling, and I like the Ergo.  We use the stroller on long walks around the neighborhood, and wear her in virtually every other situation.  Much more convenient (maneuverable, light, etc.) and more fun, in my opinion.  There's a local babywearing group that was very helpful in terms of figuring out fit / wraps, and they have lots of stuff you can try (and even rent).

TheSecondLaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Too Zesty
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
We use everything to transport my son. We have a travel system that I have used jogging on a very smooth bike path. I wouldn't use it on side walks  for runs because the carrier bounces around too much with lumps and bumps in the road but for walks and the bike path its just fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/33396195?registryId=80542784289&listId=85eb2b1d-6c04-4b39-bba7-67f636336bf0&listType=BR&listItemId=9a283453-4560-41d6-a478-2f6637f4fa4b&selected=true

I would recommend a infant seat/carrier. As others have said if baby falls asleep in the car you don't have to wake him when the drive is over. My son is asleep right now in his carrier :D. One thing I wish I would have checked into was trying to find the stroller part of the travel system used then purchasing the car seat and base new. That might save you some money.

We also love to carry baby. I used the Moby for the first 3 mo then the Ergo from then on with the booster pillow and without. You can definitely find carriers used or borrow from a friend. Carrying baby also puts him to sleep. As bonus you burn off the baby weight because you are carrying some extra weight while walking. Yay!

If I had to eliminate some equipment I would skip the stroller altogether get an infant seat, use a carrier/wrap and leave the babe with my husband while I go for a run. Best of luck and congrats!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
Father of 6 young 'uns. Purchased or have been given them all. Settled on simple, light, cheap. We're pretty active. Took them on 4 mi walk last night :)

Travel:
- child seat stays in the car
- ultra lite folding stroller in the car, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Umbrella-Stroller-Sleep-Monsters/dp/B00PNXHICM/ref=sr_1_13_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1450293313&sr=1-13&keywords=lightweight+stroller. So light it can be handled with one hand.
- strap-on baby carrier, Infantino brand or other. Carried kids all over the place.

Home
- larger heavier (smoother-rolling) stroller for pre 6mo
- Gorilla Cart (wagon) + Bumbo + helmet age 6mo+

We had a jogging stroller but it never got used.

AND: Congratulations!!!!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
I know the travel systems are an expensive initial outlay, but I really got my money's worth.  I had 2 kids, 3.5 years apart, so we used that stroller for 6 years.  I walked 2-4 miles a day with the stroller, on either sidewalks or packed dirt.   It was still in great shape (we had a Graco).

It was also nice to have only one infant seat with a base in each car rather than have to buy seats for both cars.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »
There have been instances of young babies suffocating in car seats because they collapse in on themselves and aren't strong enough to lift their heads. I'm not in the US so I don't spend my life in and out of cars the way you guys are but I was fine with a car seat and a pram. The pram swaps out the baby bassinet for a seat when the child is big enough.  We got the smallest possible pram because we had a small car at the time and it's been excellent.  And we've been travelling for the last 3 months and my now 7 month old has had the bassinet as a bed for that whole time - much more useful than a travel cot at this age.