Author Topic: Cable TV + internet too pricey!!!  (Read 8448 times)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
Cable TV + internet too pricey!!!
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »
Reviewing our bills and we pay $160/month for cable tv internet bundle.  The TV portion is $100 !!
Aargh!
That has to change. We have Comcast in NH.

What do other folks pay?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cable TV + internet too pricey!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
We pay $70 for Internet only for 50 mbps. They actually bundle in some non-HD cable (the best part is the HBO Go). I think it's pretty outrageous but Mr. FP is in charge of it, so I just let it go.

Whatever you are watching on TV is probably NOT worth $100 a month! Cancel the TV part and check out some DVDs from the library. (Or Netflix if you must.)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
We pay $35/month for internet, split Netflix with my parents so another $5 a month there.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
I pay $25/month for 25 mbps with Comcast in Atlanta.

Cable TV cost is $0 if you don't have it....

There's the answer OP.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
Our internet is $70. It's the lowest price option.

We do not pay for TV.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
It's been creeping up... we were on 7Mbps a couple of years ago and I upped it to 15.

$36 + tax, Canadian.

*Edit* that's internet only of course, ADSL. We have Netflix every so often until we're done with it. I consider it ok if, in a month, I watch at least one film. Just turned it back on a couple of days ago.. I should probably cancel it now, thanks for the reminder (ie I've paid $8 for the month, don't want it to auto renew!).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:27:21 PM by daverobev »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
$62 a month (includes tax) for 12Mb internet and an antenna for TV.  At some point it will go to 50Mb for the same price, but that is after the cable company does a monstrous cable plant upgrade to get the rural area in sync with the nearest city.  It's been ongoing for more than a year and I don't expect it to be done any time soon.

Even just getting local channels is a ridiculous $50 or more a month.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:50:29 AM »
We're at $63 a month for 3 Mbps (not a typo). That's from our only high-speed internet option, which is DSL.

We don't pay for full landline access to go with that, but we do have to pay a base charge for an "emergency line." For that we get incoming calls and 911 but no outgoing calls at all. That does mean we keep a landline phone around for incoming, though - cell reception is spotty in an underground house.

We can't get cable here for any price, but then we haven't owned a television in a decade, so the only loss was internet speed.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »
OTA TV and 1 Mib UNE DSL comes out to $23.95 a month.  The antenna for TV cost me about $200 worth of gear plus my time to install, but I was able to piggyback on the tower I already had put up for my amateur radio hobby...

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »
I am on a $29.99 for 12 months internet only promo with Comcast. I subscribe to Netflix. HD antenna gets me my network channels very clear. You need to negotiate with Comcast. Just be polite when speaking with them and not a jerk.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:08:10 AM »
I split Internet with housemates ($50/3), and I subscribe to Chrunchyroll at $6.95 per month. English-language TV shows I watch on Hulu without a subscription. I also get some movies sometimes through the library or Hoopla (online via the public library).

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:13:51 AM »
Internet only for $75/mo and Netflix + Hulu for a total of $95. Also have an OTA antenna for local sports. Don't miss cable at all

drawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
If you really must have cable for whatever reason, check out Sling TV - http://www.sling.com. It's basically $20 a month and you'll get pretty decent channels (TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, CNN, Disney, etc) across a range of supporting devices.

I've never tried their service and I don't have cable (basic internet and Netflix is enough for me) but this might be a good alternative if you want to save some cash and absolutely need cable in your household as a form of entertainment.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
Portugal here.

24 dollars for Internet fiber (300 Mbps) + 250 channels + landline phone (unlimited calls worldwide)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
I pay nothing for cable. I dropped the home phone and cable tv that were in the bundle and went w/ internet only. We watch netflix or free stuff online. My monthly bill went from $150 to $45. Internet also has no taxes. The bundle was always advertized as "$99" a month - but by the time box rental, taxes, misc fees were added it was $150. The internet cost is just the flat cost of the internet service.

I bought a flat tv antenna that attaches to the coaxial cable and sticks to the wall (I put it behind a picture). It was $30 at costco. I get about 25 channels in HDTV w/ it.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »
If you want to meet in the middle somewhere Hulu Plus, no commercial version, is a great way for me to catch most of the shows I like in less time.

I just posted on another thread that I use this on the iPad while cooking and it's a great way to multitask.

The missus is an HGTV junkie, so Sling works great for her and I get some ESPN I had been missing the past few years. We went from 160 to 82 this way. That's almost 1000 a year less and I get 95% of the current programming I am interested in.

sonya_k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, too. We have recently moved so have basic cable and "blast plus" (I can't recall the speed offhand), and pay $49.11 (yes, that is correct) as we have a "one year" price deal. Then, magically, although our services don't change, our price will double next summer. UGH!!! And it's even MORE expensive if I don't have the TV + internet package. I don't want the TV package whatsoever.

I would LOVE to change service into my name after the year is up, although that's unethical. I just don't like having our price DOUBLE just for the sake of Comcast's pocket. The only other option is fiber optic which is $115/month.

Thoughts, Mustachians?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »
Portugal here.

24 dollars for Internet fiber (300 Mbps) + 250 channels + landline phone (unlimited calls worldwide)

Wow! The US has expensive and slow internet compared to the rest of the industrialized world.

I'm going on Google Fiber for $3.50/month for 5Mbps. It's enough to stream and voice talk.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
Portugal here.

Wow! The US has expensive and slow internet compared to the rest of the industrialized world.

I'm going on Google Fiber for $3.50/month for 5Mbps. It's enough to stream and voice talk.

If you think our Internet is expensive you should see our health care costs....

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
Portugal here.

Wow, that must be nice.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »
I dont do cable I mostly just stream online and watch whatever I can get on antenna. I pay 49.95 for for 1gig up and down (yay fiber). I wish there was a cheaper option but I am so happy I dont have to play the call once a year and get a better price game.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
We have internet only via Comcast.  $25/mo for 3Mbps on a 12-month "special".  We'll likely be switching back to AT&T (same speed, very similar price) when the 12 months is up.  With AT&T DSL, I can play a game online while my wife watches Netflix with no issues.  With Comcast, if I'm in a game and my wife starts up a stream, I immediately can tell--I get an instant 3 second ping time!

bobertsen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
I'm paying an average of $55/mo for a 20/2 plan on Time Warner in Ohio. I have to call and threaten to cancel once a year to restore my promotional rate, otherwise they charge around $70 for the same package with no promos.

I installed an attic antenna for local channels and have Netflix and Hulu plans for my family's mindless zombie television fixes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
Haven't had cable for years, but we pay about 40$ a month for internet.

Bellatrix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
I pay $70/mo for internet.  I refuse to pay even more money for cable.  When I lived about 1.5 hours away, I only paid $30 for internet.  I miss those days. 

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
$65 a month dropping the boost off Comcast. I had it at $45 a month for a year, but the special expired, and they don't have any new ones right now.

Considering AT&T DSL after reading about it in this thread. $20 a month for what appears to be decent internet? Any idea how bad VPN is over DSL? Seems like a no brainer if the service is reliable enough. I had quest DSL before and it was reliable, and fast enough, though I didn't use it for work via VPN then.

http://www.att-services.net/att-high-speed-internet.html

ETA: Never mind, not available in Washington state yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:46:31 AM by Bearded Man »

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
Many of these internet prices seem like mystical unicorn pricing to me. I'm in Canada. We pay $60 a month, after taxes, for "up to" 5 Mbps with a 65gb bandwidth limit (although the limit appears to be unenforced, as we've exceeded it every month in the last year without penalty).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
Many of these internet prices seem like mystical unicorn pricing to me. I'm in Canada. We pay $60 a month, after taxes, for "up to" 5 Mbps with a 65gb bandwidth limit (although the limit appears to be unenforced, as we've exceeded it every month in the last year without penalty).

I'm in Canada.  We get 15 Mbps with a 300 Gb per month cap through TekSavvy for 40$ a month.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »
The costs are higher in certain states too. I live in CA and really don't have any options in my area other than Comcast. I live too far away for DSL to work well, it completely broke many years ago when they tried to upgrade my speed. I'm forced to pay $69.99/mo just for internet.

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »

I'm in Canada.  We get 15 Mbps with a 300 Gb per month cap through TekSavvy for 40$ a month.

Man! Maybe it's just my unfortunate province. I'm in a city that's serviced by only two ISPs. It's pretty well a duopoly and they charge whatever they want.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
Most of Canada is Rogers/Bell or Shaw/Bell.  There are several smaller resellers out there like TekSavvy though that will offer more competitive packages if you dig.  Where exactly in Canada are you?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
Our internet is $70. It's the lowest price option.

We do not pay for TV.

FIOS near baltimore, our internet and lowest cable option is $96/month. Just internet would be $65-70. It's that or Comcast for the same price. I plan to cancel but for just a $25 difference I'm waiting till the contract is up in a few months. Frankly if the wife really wanted it I'd keep cable, but she claim she'd be fine getting rid of it so we'll try.. If she want it back it's so little I'd be fine with getting it back. The expensive internet really kills it, if I could get $30 'net it would be a different story, then there would be real savings!