Author Topic: Buying Subaru Legacy  (Read 8793 times)

Broadway2019

• Bristles
Buying Subaru Legacy
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
I went car shopping today and decided to get rid of my 2015 Subaru Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, which I owe $26k on, and downgrade to a 2014 Certified Subaru Legacy base model. The vehicle comes to $15k out the door and has 50,000 miles on it. Based on the KBB, I think this is a good deal.

By the way, I test drove the Toyota Camry and the Subaru Legacy. The Subaru feels much better and safer, plus it has AWD. In addition, the Subaru dealers are willing to give me more for my trade.

Thoughts?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: Buying Subaru Legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Without any other financial info, there's not much to say about whether this is a "good" deal. Personally, I think this is facepunch worthy. Also, this: AWD Fallacy

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »
I am getting rid of my Subaru Outback since I owe so much money. This would cut my debt by $11k. It seem even after looking at total cost ownership, the Subaru Legacy saves about $6k over a 5 year span and $9 over a 10 year span.

Is this the right way to calculate?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:36:19 AM by kwarden13 »

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
You get a great car for far less than $15K (and thus pay down your other debt faster).  I bought a 12-year old honda civic in 2005 for $1800, which I still drive.  Safe, good track record, easy to maintain, and it leaves a lot of money available for other things.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
Are you including tax, registration and fees in your calculations?

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »

Yes I am. So the car was $14,500 plus $299 dealer, and tag/title. No tax since I am trading in a more expensive vehicle.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
Depending on the trim, the Legacy can have worse gas mileage than the Outback. If you're willing to get a sedan, it makes sense to find one that is a lot more fuel efficient. Meaning not AWD and not 200+ HP.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
Depending on the trim, the Legacy can have worse gas mileage than the Outback. If you're willing to get a sedan, it makes sense to find one that is a lot more fuel efficient. Meaning not AWD and not 200+ HP.

Hi Marielle, gas mileage does not concern as much since it is close. I do not drive much and value having a better car. I know the folks on this forum are against AWD, however, given it's about the same price as a FWD w/ similar features/miles, I prefer the AWD. Also, the Subaru Legacy comes standard with many features. I test drove the SE Camry - one step one from the base model- and it just does not compare.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »

Yes I am. So the car was $14,500 plus $299 dealer, and tag/title. No tax since I am trading in a more expensive vehicle.
Good info, thanks. Have you compared insurance rates? I didn't realize it is 200+ HP.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

Good info, thanks. Have you compared insurance rates? I didn't realize it is 200+ HP.

My insurance goes up $75 for 6 months. However, my fiance and me are on separate policies and are going to try to get on one to save money.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
I am starting to second guess selling it. Are there any good calculators to figure out total cost of ownership?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to argue against you *selling* it - it's more that you are replacing it with another car you need to finance.

And I will firmly go against the herd in that we have a Subaru and absolutely love the AWD.

We had several horrible winters in a row and skidded around on unplowed roads (because Youngstown does not plow the downtown roads on a Sunday.) The Subaru has been marvelous.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
Before I bought my current car, the best car I ever owned was a 1990 Subaru Legacy sedan. That thing was a tank. It almost never needed repairs and it could handle absolutely anything. I got that car in 2002 and kept it until 2005, so if current models are similar then you can expect the car to last a minimum of 15 years. Probably longer if you drive it like a Mustachian (which means not very often.) There's a lot to be said for the reliability of a vehicle, even if it doesn't get the best fuel economy.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
Before I bought my current car, the best car I ever owned was a 1990 Subaru Legacy sedan. That thing was a tank. It almost never needed repairs and it could handle absolutely anything. I got that car in 2002 and kept it until 2005, so if current models are similar then you can expect the car to last a minimum of 15 years. Probably longer if you drive it like a Mustachian (which means not very often.) There's a lot to be said for the reliability of a vehicle, even if it doesn't get the best fuel economy.

I had a 1991 Legacy wagon. I bought it in 1999 and drove it for 8 years. It was a great great car. It was a Wyoming car so all highway miles and no rust. I only sold it because I found a great deal on a 2001 Outback that I have now been driving for almost 10 years. I just got new tires on the Outback so I'm going to keep driving it (occasionally).

(My bf has a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4wd xcab. Awesome reliable truck, keeping it forever.)

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
I have a  2014 outback which I got 6 months ago. But I paid 3k in warranties and the like, because my previous 2 vehicles (2001 focus and 2004 matrix) proved to be maintenance horrors and I'm just not car savvy.

In my case I'd rather keep the outback which is working for me. I plan to drive it to the ground.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »

Hi Marielle, gas mileage does not concern as much since it is close. I do not drive much and value having a better car. I know the folks on this forum are against AWD, however, given it's about the same price as a FWD w/ similar features/miles, I prefer the AWD. Also, the Subaru Legacy comes standard with many features. I test drove the SE Camry - one step one from the base model- and it just does not compare.
Sounds straight out of marketing. Seems like you've made up your mind - enjoy.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
My opinion on AWD is that it is great for driving in snow but when it comes to ice it does not matter as ice does not discriminate. Now I say this and we do have a near 10 year old Honda CRV with AWD and it does drive well. Great car and very reliable.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
My opinion on AWD is that it is great for driving in snow but when it comes to ice it does not matter as ice does not discriminate. Now I say this and we do have a near 10 year old Honda CRV with AWD and it does drive well. Great car and very reliable.

Also great for hills. Our house in Maine had a driveway you had to drive UP to get out of. On an icy morning, you could only get out with AWD.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:58 AM »
So I went to look at the 2014 Subaru Legacy I had my eye on and it did not drive well so I did not purchase that one. Something felt off. Anyways, I test drove another 2014 Subaru Legacy and loved it, however, it had 88k miles on it and they were asking $14k. It had crash detection, leather, and nav though. It was actually $1k less than the other one, however, obviously more miles. Also, they give a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Wondering if buying a vehicle with that high of mileage would be a mistake? Also, am second guessing trading in my 2015 Subaru Outback Limited  w/ eyesight at all. I owe $26k, however, it has only 28k miles and could last me a really long time. I could just pay it off and keep it for another 10 years. I am worried buying the Legacy with high miles will not last as long and I will buy a new car sooner.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
I have a 2010 Legacy GT (~300 hp after a bit of tuning) with about 54k km (34k mi). I've had it since new, and will probably keep it for another 10 years.

For about two more months I live in a city where there can be snow on the ground 7 months of the year. With a good set of snow tires, the car handles almost as good on packed or powdered snow as on dry pavement. Ice? Yeah, nothing helps except sand and salt.

Very comfortable ride for long highway trips, capable and predictable handling around corners, surprisingly roomy rear seats and trunk space. I'm a satisfied owner.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
I am getting rid of my Subaru Outback since I owe so much money. This would cut my debt by $11k. It seem even after looking at total cost ownership, the Subaru Legacy saves about $6k over a 5 year span and $9 over a 10 year span.

Is this the right way to calculate?

I like your decision to cut debt very much.  I don't really like that you still have $15k of debt after.  Can you pay that off in 18 months or so?   

Buying a car that works for you, that you can afford and get into a "no loan" position quickly on, is ideal.  Doesn't matter about which car you choose, in the end, if it works for you.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
So I can pay my car off in 3 years or pay off the $15k car in 2 years realistically.

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A puzzle in progress...
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »
I do love my AWD for snow. I'd disagree that nothing is useful on ice; studs make a heck of a difference. But they're illegal in many parts of the US.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
I'm sorry, this has gone well into facepunch territory for this forum.

Two to three years to pay off your financed vehicle? Unless you are otherwise FI and are just using cheap financing to avoid selling off your sizable assets both cars are bad financial decisions.

Like Goldielocks I applaud your desire to cut your debt, but all signs here point to you needing to look at something other than an almost-new, dealer financed vehicle with all the bells and whistles. Understand that your greatest costs with a newish vehicle is going to be rapid depreciation.

Start looking for older cars with >70k miles on them. Shoot for an outcome where you can eliminate this debt by next year.  There are some great, safe Subarus out there (if you want to stick to that brand) for $6k-8k.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
I am trying to pay off more expensive debt. If I buy an $8k car and it only lasts 2-3 years, it does not make much sense. Also, I have not found many Subaru's in good condition for less than $10k that could last 7-10 years. I do not know how to fix cars so buying off craigslist does not appeal to me. I did a search and everything I saw was pretty expensive and sketchy.

I could pay cash but that means other more expensive debt would not get payed off. I figure at least Subaru's hold their value so whatever I buy will not depreciate as fast as I Ford, or some other luxury car.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
I am trying to pay off more expensive debt. If I buy an $8k car and it only lasts 2-3 years, it does not make much sense. Also, I have not found many Subaru's in good condition for less than $10k that could last 7-10 years. I do not know how to fix cars so buying off craigslist does not appeal to me. I did a search and everything I saw was pretty expensive and sketchy.

I could pay cash but that means other more expensive debt would not get payed off. I figure at least Subaru's hold their value so whatever I buy will not depreciate as fast as I Ford, or some other luxury car.
With all due respect, if your goal is to reduce more expensive debt you need to reconsider why you are trying to buy an almost-new and quite expensive vehicle. 
Let's address some earlier statments from above
1) unless you are driving >> 30,000 miles a year there is absolutely no reason why a good $8-10k subaru would last you only 2-3 years. Every mdoern Subaru should get you to 200k (this is true for almost every modern car).  With average US driving habits (12k-15k) a Forester with 100k miles should last at least 7 more years.
 I did a quick check of my zipcode and found 4 Subaru Foresters with <90,000 miles for under $9,000. 

2) 'holding their value' is relative. Like most cars, Subarus lose the most within the first 3 years. "Holding onto their value" is only relevant if you plan on trading it in before it gets towards the end of its life.

3) your mechanical aptitude isn't important when buying a car - having a decent mechanic is. Don't assume that buying from a dealer means the car will be mechanically better.  Find a competent mechanic who will do a thorough check of any vehicle regardless of where you buy it from.

look - I'm really not trying to be overly harsh here, but your posts read like someone who's been suckered in by the (very convincing) car-marketing machine. It's all designed to get you to spend way more than you need to on a vehicle.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »
The legacy is a fancy-pants car. Right now, you have no pants. You have some gasoline-soaked underwear that's ready to burst into flames.

"Holding value" is not something that needs to be taken into account if you buy vehicles in the only rational way there is. Reminder of what the rational vehicle purchase looks like:

0) You have no car
1) You identify a reasonable car for your means and usage. Hint: if you need years to pay it off, it is not reasonable.
2) You drive said reasonable car until it can no longer be effectively maintained
4) Go back to #1

AWD is a luxury. Almost everyone can do without. Unless you work as park ranger in Montana, you can't afford it.

NEPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
Admittedly I purchased a 2004 4cyl outback a little over a year ago (102k mi), and it is a great car. I have a mountain commute and the car rides better than Hondas and the snow performance is exceptional. Cost was about $3700 + tax, and some minor maintenance. The car came with heated leather, mirrors, sunroof, etc, stuff you have to pay out the ass for in newer cars.

If you're dead-set on an AWD vehicle, I'm going to recommend looking at older Outback/Legacy. There is a known head gasket issue up to 2008 ($1500 dealership repair for me), but the vehicles are cheaper to accommodate. (In my situation/region, a civic/accord was $6k+ vs $4000 for an outback the same year and mileage, and I don't have to stress over commuting in snow or heavy rain.) Just check for under body and quarter panel rust!!

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
Admittedly I purchased a 2004 4cyl outback a little over a year ago (102k mi), and it is a great car. I have a mountain commute and the car rides better than Hondas and the snow performance is exceptional. Cost was about $3700 + tax, and some minor maintenance. The car came with heated leather, mirrors, sunroof, etc, stuff you have to pay out the ass for in newer cars.

If you're dead-set on an AWD vehicle, I'm going to recommend looking at older Outback/Legacy. There is a known head gasket issue up to 2008 ($1500 dealership repair for me), but the vehicles are cheaper to accommodate. (In my situation/region, a civic/accord was $6k+ vs $4000 for an outback the same year and mileage, and I don't have to stress over commuting in snow or heavy rain.) Just check for under body and quarter panel rust!!

So I was quite surprised, I looked this morning for a used Outback and found a 2010 w/ less than 70k miles for $9k. I am going to look at it today. Also, I don't have to sacrifice space and will feel much safer. Thank you for the tip.