Author Topic: Buying stock at years end ?  (Read 2083 times)

takara159

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Buying stock at years end ?
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
Good evening all,
This is probably a bone headed question but I can't think of a better place to turn for enlightenment, although after reading the question you'll probably think I deserve a face punch.

I recently received my Fiscal Year end bonus and plan to throw into my current portfolio. The question I have is does it make sense to buy the shares now or wait till the beginning of 2014.  I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that its best to wait till the new year to purchase to minimize taxes on your dividends or something like that. If I sound confused its probably because I am.  This questions isn't so much about timing the market but more getting clarification that I might not be crazy or if I am to get a good face punch.

Thanks in advance.

Emg03063

• Bristles
Re: Buying stock at years end ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
I imagine the advice to wait until the next year was to avoid paying tax on mutual fund distributions (which is valid).  If you're buying individual stocks, that's a non-issue, and you may find a small price dip (I.e. buying opportunity) at the very end of the year from people selling to harvest losses.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!