Author Topic: Buying eye glasses online  (Read 7500 times)

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
Buying eye glasses online
« on: December 26, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
Anyone had any any experience with buying eye glasses online. Basic selling pint is price. Typically you'll pay 500 dollars/euros, online half that or less. This only came up because I was listening to podcast about the guys who started Warbly Parker

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:54:24 PM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: Buying Eye Glasses online
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
I use Zenni Optical. My husband has had several pairs of glasses from them, and while the absolute cheapest frames they offer are sometimes flimsy, he's been satisfied overall. I got a pair of polarized polycarbonate lens sunglasses with a rather strong prescription from them for half the price of similar sunglasses with the most basic plastic lenses from a local shop, and they are excellent.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
Re: Buying eye glasses online
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
Did a search via google and found a bunch of links will read and add them to here.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
I've purchased twice from Zenni Optical and been very pleased. I entered the Rx provided to me by my doctor, took the measurements they required, and ended up paying less than $75 for no-line bifocals with upgraded, thinner lenses. Both times the glasses came with a really nice case as well.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »
+3 fr Zenni Optical. I've been buying from them for years and I'm very happy with them.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
I just ordered a pair from Warby Parker, expected delivery this week.  The home try on was easy and convenient, and saved me the hassle of going somewhere to go eyeglasses shopping. 

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Another vote for Zenni. One caveat, frames almost always self destruct about a year in, just in time for new prescriptions haha. That's been my experience with plastic frames anyway.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:52:01 AM »
quick update asked on an expat board (I live in Germany) and someone suggusted catching a cheap flight to the UK and going Vision Express (I think) and getting glasses there, they're as cheap as the online people and fast usually 2 hours. Plus for me I can deal in English.

I figure if we both buy glasses the cost saving will mostly pay for the trip 😀

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 04:34:21 AM »
+5 Zenni.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 06:23:15 AM »
+6 for Zenni Optical. I've bought two pairs there. You can buy 10 pairs for the same price as through your doctor. Some are under $20 without all the options/upgrades unless prices have increased recently.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 08:29:29 AM »
Anyone had any any experience with buying eye glasses online. Basic selling pint is price. Typically you'll pay 500 dollars/euros, online half that or less. This only came up because I was listening to podcast about the guys who started Warbly Parker

Thanks

Yes - we have used Warby Parker.  It was a very good experience and saved us a ton of money on glasses for our son.  We posted a review about it.  Here is the link if you'd like to check it out:  http://need2save.com/2016/10/warby-parker-review/

Bottom line was it was not only WAY cheaper, but also very convenient, and for teenagers - letting them try on at home was a huge bonus when they don't like strangers watching them in a retail store.  We will def. use them again.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:11 AM »
Zenni has been great for me too.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Another vote for Zenni. One caveat, frames almost always self destruct about a year in, just in time for new prescriptions haha. That's been my experience with plastic frames anyway.

It happened to me, too... but a new frame was like $10.  I just bought a new frame and moved the lenses.

Zenni is fine.  No complaints.  They do take a long time to ship... just keep that in mind when you order.

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Another vote for Zenni, from which I ordered three pairs in 2010. My prescription hasn't changed, and I still wear two of these (the first broke within a month of receiving them) when I'm not using contacts.

khangaroo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »
I LOVE Warby Parker because of their home try-on and also because of their styles. I'm from Portland, OR so it fits our town very perfectly - a lot of my coworkers and friends wear Warby Parkers and how can you beat that $95 price with free lens replacement within a year?

I'm very satisfied with the quality of their frames, nice and sturdy. Definitely take advantage of their in-home trials, it's fantastic! Ever since I've gotten mine, I've been recommending it to everyone because I had such a great experience with them.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »
I've bought from Zenni, Warby Parker, and 39dollarglasses.com (possibly others that I've forgotten!) and only had one slightly bad experience, when my Zenni glasses were stolen from my building's mail room and Zenni basically said "tough luck" - admittedly it wasn't their fault but I've gotten better customer service from other online retailers in similar situations.

I'm not sure how well these places do with complicated prescriptions, and it definitely helps to already know what kinds of glasses you like to wear/like the look of on your face, but for me they've always been very good value for money. I don't think I've bought glasses from a brick-and-mortar optician in close to 10 years now and I'm wearing Warby Parkers right now.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:43 AM »

I'm not sure how well these places do with complicated prescriptions,

This is the one point that, oddly, never seems to come up. How do you order prescription glasses?

Did you go to the eye doctor and mail them the results for what?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 04:01:17 AM »

This is the one point that, oddly, never seems to come up. How do you order prescription glasses?

Here in the US, it's go to the eye doctor and then just type the results into an online form while ordering.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 04:16:04 AM »
Thanks that's what I figured, and I do have a recent prescription I can use.

Another question, finding the cost of the lens. When we ordered our last set the frames were free while the lenses cost over 400€. Looking at Vision Express UK it's the same, 39£ for glasses but up to 300£ for the best lenses,which puts it close to what I paid here.

So if you need high quality bi focals - light glare free etc. did you save any money?

I can get basic computer glasses for 100€ here no problem, the issue is replacing the ones I wear all day. I got quoted 600€ for those!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:23:25 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 05:39:27 AM »
Go to Zenni optical, punch in your prescription, and get the cheapest lenses in whatever frames you like. Risk $20 to try it out and see how you like it.

Given how many of us have recommended it, it's a good bet versus paying $300 or $400 or whatever you're looking at paying. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »
Go on Zenni Optical and see how much your specific needs are. I just did it and it took me less than 5 minutes without even logging in. Bifocals are $17. If you want Photochromic (transitional) + Bifocals it's $49. Add another $5 for standard anti-reflective coating, or a little more ($15) for oil resistant and anti-reflective. Then add your frame, which can be as cheap as $10 and under. Less than $50 if you just need Bifocals + anti-reflective. Less than $100 to add Photochromic. This is assuming you don't have a really strong prescription, though, which is a little extra. You can also pay extra for thinner lenses of course too.

Edit: If you want no-line multi-focals it's $28 for the thickest lens, up to $99 to get the thinnest for extreme prescriptions.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:20:27 AM by marielle »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
Thanks that's what I figured, and I do have a recent prescription I can use.

Another question, finding the cost of the lens. When we ordered our last set the frames were free while the lenses cost over 400€. Looking at Vision Express UK it's the same, 39£ for glasses but up to 300£ for the best lenses,which puts it close to what I paid here.

So if you need high quality bi focals - light glare free etc. did you save any money?

I can get basic computer glasses for 100€ here no problem, the issue is replacing the ones I wear all day. I got quoted 600€ for those!

At non-internet shops, I normally pay about $350 for a pair of glasses with progressive bifocals and high index lenses.  (lots of Astigmatism + extremely near sighted + presbyopia).  My last Zenni pair with the same parameters was about $70.

I avoid anti glare coatings like the plague in all instances.  My experience is that the coating scratches terribly and effectively makes the lens unusable in a year or two.  But if you want them, I don't believe it adds an enormous amount to the Zenni pair.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:08:36 AM by Spork »

bortman

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:42 AM »
My wife has had several pairs from Zenni over the past ten years. She normally uses contact lenses, but removes them and wears glasses to read before bed. So, her experience is under pretty light use, but she's had no problems with durability in this scenario.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 07:35:45 AM »
How about buying glass eyes online?

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
At non-internet shops, I normally pay about $350 for a pair of glasses with progressive bifocals and high index lenses.  (lots of Astigmatism + extremely near sighted + presbyopia).  My last Zenni pair with the same parameters was about $70.

I avoid anti glare coatings like the plague in all instances.  My experience is that the coating scratches terribly and effectively makes the lens unusable in a year or two.  But if you want them, I don't believe it adds an enormous amount to the Zenni pair.

thanks,  I live in Germany so it's a bit different but for computer glasses I can get basic glasses for about 100€.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

My eyes are extremely near sighted.  My prescription from the optometrist is:

(SPH)   (CYL)   Axis
OD - Right      -7.75   -0.75   75
OS - Left        -8.50   -1.00   105

I need high index lenses or weight of the glasses becomes uncomfortable and they'll slide off all the time.  When the PD of lenses is off by even a couple millimeters, I notice it right away.  I've had problems with brick and mortar stores getting this wrong in the past.  The three pairs of glasses I've received from Zenni were all good (once I adjusted the frames properly).

financier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »
Semi-related: If you're like me and like the benefits of getting to try on glasses in a retail store, but don't want to pay a premium for that, consider:

- Warby Parker actually has stores now in some major US cities! I got my current pair of glasses from them, and it was a great experience. Prices are the same as online.

- Costco sells glasses at really great prices, close to online retailers. I got my previous pair from them.

Hope that helps!

Lake161

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
Just received our first order from EyeBuyDirect. Hubby is very pleased with the quality.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
My eyes are extremely near sighted.

Ditto.

I'm at -10.5 in my glasses (contacts aren't as strong, both at -9.5).  The wife is even higher (-11 or -12? And -10.5/-9.0 contacts, IIRC).

We use Zenni, and have had them perfect.

They charge us a premium for such a high prescription, so the total is closer to $40 than $20.

We don't bother with the extra special thinning costs. they're only thick at the edges, and it's not noticeable enough to care, IMO.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
Have not tried online sites but I worry about getting the pupilary distance correct. 

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
Have not tried online sites but I worry about getting the pupilary distance correct.

Zenni gives very explicit directions for measuring this, and supplies a paper tape to do so. I usually measure, then have my husband double-check the measurement -- both pairs I have ordered came out perfect.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »

I just get the measurement for this from my eye doctor when I get the glasses prescription from them.  Always worked perfectly.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
Not sure which website I bought mine but they were $50 and I like them better than the $250 pair I lost that my mom bought for me in High school.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
I'm about to buy some too, so this is a timely thread!  Looks like I'll be checking out Zenni.  I'll probably buy two pairs.

My parents are both optometrists and both my current pairs are from back when they each got a free pair a year from work (~8 years ago), but they're getting old/bent/neglected/sat on.