Author Topic: Buying bedding  (Read 6935 times)

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Buying bedding
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Hello all,

I need to buy some new bedding for the guest room. I'm thinking of going mustachian on the comforter/pillow set, but getting some nice quality sheets, since that's what you feel anyway. What's a nice threadcount for sheets? What's your opinion of light flannel?

Anyone know any good places to shop? I've been looking online, but you can't touch them that way or really see the colors properly, so I will probably have to visit some brick and mortar places. I am going to wait until Labor Day for the white sales.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Buying bedding
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
Honestly, my favorite sheets are Target's Threshold Percale sheets. They look a bit "wrinkly" (it's the type of fabric) but they are cool (hold very little heat, I hate being hot when I sleep), smooth, and never pill. One downside is that they are not "soft" like jersey or something else, but I have no problem with the texture. Feels great on summer nights. I love them and will buy them over and over. They are also on sale right now: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-percale-sheet-set/-/A-14678544

Target's jersey sheets are okay if you are looking for cheap but they pill easily.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
I'll second the recommendation for the Target Threshold percale sheets.  I've bought and been gifted a lot of different sheet sets over the years and these are my favorites.  I was a little unsure at first because they were stiff and made a lot of noise when I rolled over. After a few washes, they softened up and they are perfect.  Unlike all my other sheets, when I wash them they don't leave a lot of fuzz in the dryer.  So I'm thinking they hold up a lot longer than the ones that were constantly degrading to a pile of fuzz in my dryer trap.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
I think the target sheets are nice, if you like percale sheets.  Percale feels different than sateen sheets. That's really a matter of preference.  As for quality, my mom bought me some 1000 thread count fancy sheets for Christmas one year. They were really soft and comfy but they literally disintegrated within three,yrs.  I had holes in the pillow cases at each corner and all the edges were fraying.  That was with normal weekly washing and no bleaching.  Every time I washed them the lint trap was full.  The target sheets so far have left next to no lint in the dryer.

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
Thanks! I'll check out the percale.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »
Tuesday Morning has great buys on super nice quality sheets. Home Goods too.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
I try to be frugal but comfort is where I draw the line. I've tried thread counts from 100 to 1500 and sateen everything. I can tell you a 300 count Egyptian Cotton set is the best I've ever slept on. I got them online somewhere for like $80 I think. They've held up fantastic and it's all I'll ever buy now. You owe it to yourself to check out Egyptian Cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:58:04 PM »
Tuesday Morning has great buys on super nice quality sheets. Home Goods too.

dig through these two places, Tuesday carries some really expensive stuff at a steal, especially linens. If you see sheets or a duvet cover from Peacock Alley- incredibly nice stuff, incredibly expensive except here, snag 'em before someone else does. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
Do higher thread count sheets last longer than lower thread count sheets?  I am not picky and don't have a preference based on sensory differences, but we have some sheets that are close to threadbare or just feel thin/cheap-ish.  I want them to last longer.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
I love the company store sheets (and comfoters) but they are on the pricey side. Can wait for sales.
The 2nd best sheets I ever had were a Martha Stewart brand percale sheet from Kmart, that were actually 50/05/ cotton polyester, but they were soft and didn't wrinkle. I tried the Macys MS percale sheets and they wrinkled horribly.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »
I read in Consumer Reports and other places, that thread count often is meaningless because of the way they can count the threads, IDK.  But I have had some 1000 tc sheets, Egyptian cotton from unknown brands, packaged to look pricey that were inexpensive and crap. I've had Land's End sheets bought at least ten yrs ago on clearance, 200 tc percale, still going great.  Besides Peacock Alley, the next best I've ever had were Ralph Lauren found in a close out outlet super, super cheap, enough that I bought several sets, again 200 tc percale, Egyptian cotton and lasted from years before my son was born, until I got rid of them when I moved because I was so sick of the patterns, so that would've been close to 20 yrs!

I like Company Store, too.  Their comforters are oversized which is nice but duvet covers not from them are standard size so they lie funny.  Cuddledown is my overall favorite but only when things are on clearance. Sierra Trading Post occasionally has some Peacock Alley priced amazingly but they go quick. 

I love good bedding, so I watch clearance and coupons for my go to stores.  I love switching out duvet covers (all bought very inexpensively), it feels like a new room.  I have too many no matter how cheap I got them, so I have stopped.  I'm the same way with shower curtains, and I have stopped, lol. I try not to open the sale/clearance emails from my stores, but they always get opened eventually. It is no longer frugal when I have so many, so I open the email and yell "serenity NOW, serenity NOW", take a peek and quickly get outta there!

Consumer Reports link, I'm not a subscriber so I can't unlock the brands they recommend, maybe someone else can, but the buying guide is helpful:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/sheets/buying-guide.htm

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
These are the ones I got, just searched through my emails. Love them, very comfortable and I got them 2 years ago.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Egyptian-Cotton-500-Thread-Count-Extra-Deep-Pocket-Solid-Sheet-Set/5904477/product.html?TRACK=emailcusts&cid=212987&fp=f&fp=f

I also got some from smartbargains.com 4 years ago and they've held up great. They didn't have the color I wanted 2 years ago which is why I ordered from overstock.

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
I get good sheets and pillow covers. I get a cheap comforter and buy a high thread count duvet cover for it. Makes it easy to wash and then you only have to replace the duvet cover rather than the whole comforter. Good bedding is one place where I'll splurge.