Author Topic: Buying an Engagement Ring  (Read 40063 times)

sublime9528

Buying an Engagement Ring
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Hey All,

I'm in the market for an engagement ring, and I'm already pretty overwhelmed by all the options out there for buying a good quality stone.  My soon-to-be fiancée wants a ring with a central diamond and some smaller ruby's around it, so those are the stones I've got to get.  I'm planning on proposing in the October-December range of this year.  Any advice on how to get good quality stones without paying crazy prices?  (I'm also happy to get any general mustachian engagement advice)  Thanks!

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
Re: Buying an Engagement Ring
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
commenting to follow discussion - similar boat, different stones

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
When I was in the market for an engagement ring, I went to a diamond wholesaler. They sold me the diamond, and the setting, band, and additional stones. It ended up being a lot cheaper than a mall jewelry store. I know, because after I left the wholesaler, I went to a mall store, and the wholesaler guy was already there selling them rings!

SondraRose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
Depending on your taste, you might check into a vintage ring or finding a goldsmith to make you a custom ring. 

Or see if there is a ring already in the family that could be resized or have the stones put into a new setting.

We had custom wedding rings made and they were much more affordable and meaningful to us than something from a jewelry store.  My sister-in-law gifted us her mother's engagement ring and we had the diamonds reset into a necklace and earrings for my wedding jewelry. 

avongil

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Buy bellow mile markers. .98 vs 1.01 ct.  They will be virtualy the same, yet quite a bit cheaper. Don't buy a flawless diamond, color is more important to the naked eye, go for a few very small inclusions.
Personaly, I think more than 1ct is too much for anyone on the planet. They get very gaudy after 1 ct. 

The whole diamond thing is so silly. I wish I could have convinced my wife to go CZ. We ended up spending 4700 on a band and diamond 5 years agon.  It's just frustrating, no one can really tell the diffrence between CZ and a diamond. It's all just a huge marketing scam.

Wess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi!

I'm way too stubble-y to be posting Mustachian advice, but I had to weigh in on this one: Seems to me, engagement rings are just one more thing The System Of Anti-Mustachians has decided you "need" to buy to give your life/engagement/marriage meaning. Probably you've already considered this and decided affirmatively (in which case--you do you!), but if you were my close friend I'd ask you whether what gives your marriage meaning has to be a thing, and if so, if that thing has to be a ring.

Google "engagement rings are a scam" or "the diamond invention" if you're interested--pretty twisted stuff.

Personally, I plan to decide with my future fiancee what we could have or do that is symbolic and meaningful for us without being as much of a capitulation (I'm leaning toward a ring-finger tattoo, for tradition's sake. Also more personalized, never needs to be taken in, and is much harder to misplace).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
Gemselect.com - I'm fairly sure that's where my engagement ring gem will come from (the BF is buying something, designing a ring around it, and the proposing at some point).

Assuming that she's into the idea of an engagement ring, one that you've designed (or the two of you together!) Is more meaningful in my opinion.

Also, have you discussed non-diamond options such as moissanite, or a white sapphire? She'll get something that looks just like diamond without the price tag - but still not super cheap. A good friend of mine worked at tiffany's for years and she can tell a cubic zirconia with the naked eye, but not moissanite.

Hopefully libraryjoy will post on this thread, she knows EVERYTHING about rings!

sublime9528

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
re: the diamonds are a scam issue, I couldn't agree more.  It's a racket.  Also, my girlfriend is generally pretty thrifty and not into buying frivolous stuff, but this is something she wont budge on.  I think she's also interested in a nice diamond precisely so that she can pass it down to our children and grandchildren and start a family tradition.  I'll bring up the moissanite idea, but I have a feeling I'll get the  "...but diamonds are more sparkly, and I can definitely see the difference" response. 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
If she likes rubies, would she consider a ruby engagement ring? She could start a new trend, and it would still become a family heirloom that could be passed down through the generations.

My father-in-law wore a heavy silver ring with an embedded amethyst as his wedding ring. Not everyone could have carried that off, but he wore it with aplomb.

Señora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
See if there are any diamonds in the family, if not, try to find some used.  Plenty of people have inherited diamonds that they aren't interested in owning. 

One jewelry wholesaler to try is Rio Grande jewelry supply, they have a big online catalogue, although they make you sign up (e-mail address) to see prices.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Search the forum, multiple threads

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
If she likes rubies, would she consider a ruby engagement ring? She could start a new trend, and it would still become a family heirloom that could be passed down through the generations.

Rubies are generally considered too 'soft' (i.e. easy to break/scratch) for everyday wear.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
We did not have an engagement ring when we became engaged, we decided what we wanted to do about that after he proposed. We bought a stone on eBay, an orange sapphire from a seller we researched. Then we took it to a jeweler along with some pictures of what we wanted and had a custom ring made. I asked for 10ct white gold for cost reasons and also because it doesn't nick as easily as 14ct. The whole thing cost under $500. We are both rather sentimental and liked the idea of having a ring to hand down to future kids. Who knows if they will want it? I'm glad we didn't spend any more than that. Once we got married I switched to a plain stainless steel wedding band that cost $10 and I hardly wear the engagement ring anymore.

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
My husband and I went to a local jeweler and designed our rings together.  I decided 1 ring was enough for me to count as engagement/wedding band.  We had a great time working with the jeweler to decide on compatible designs and then picking out what stones we want to include.  We got both rings for less than a typical engagement ring at the mall and the best part was that no one else has a ring like mine and it's perfect for me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Diamonds are a scam. Go for moissanite.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
I paid about 300 for my girl's ring, and I went to Helzberg. They're pretty good about taking care of you as a customer. My other option was Zales, but they're too expensive and at least in my area have horrible customer service.

Lifestyle Deflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 10:40:13 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My opinion is that the whole jewelry industry is a scam, and I really don't want to spend multi-thousands on a ring. I do not understand jewelry and cannot fathom spending any money on it at all. But my otherwise perfect girlfriend wants one.

My thinking is I can probably find a really nice one used, for a fraction of the price of a new one. Any tips on finding used ones? And any way to *hide* the fact that it's used?

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »
I have a nice Tiffany's diamond ring and matching wedding band that my Mustachian wife has agreed to sell!  Platinum band and solitaire diamond.  0.55 carats.  Buy mine!  Great price!  :)

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
If you want new diamond, go to Blue Nile.  Best prices for diamonds.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
Try Blue Nile. You get more for your money and can select the diamond you'd like. My husband got me a .42 carat diamond on a white gold band for around $600 I think. On my small finger it looks big enough to me :) You can go bigger though and still get a good deal if you can afford it.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
    • Asset-Grinder Finance Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 01:11:12 AM »
Get the stone secondary market as u will save a tonne for stones above 10k. Then buy a new ring setting and get it set in there. This way it looks fresh and she will not tell the difference once it is all shined up. Diamonds are like a new overpriced car.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 01:55:22 AM »
There was an interesting article on wedding and engagement rings on Get Rich Slowly not so long ago:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2014/06/04/act-surprised-your-wedding-ring-is-a-terrible-investment/

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:19 AM »
Hey All,

I'm in the market for an engagement ring, and I'm already pretty overwhelmed by all the options out there for buying a good quality stone.  My soon-to-be fiancée wants a ring with a central diamond and some smaller ruby's around it, so those are the stones I've got to get.  I'm planning on proposing in the October-December range of this year.  Any advice on how to get good quality stones without paying crazy prices?  (I'm also happy to get any general mustachian engagement advice)  Thanks!

diamonds are for suckers.  you (and 90% of the western world) have been scammed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueReddit/comments/1jwd6j/diamonds_are_bullshit_de_beers_marketing_campaign/

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueReddit/comments/25pe0q/de_beers_myth_do_people_spend_a_months_salary_on/

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/14sd9w/what_supposedly_legitimate_things_do_you_think/c7fz60x

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »
It isn't just a "money/investment" issue. There's a huge emotional and symbolic component that goes into the engagement ring decision. I think it's something that the couple should discuss openly and honestly--their feelings and expectations. What is important to one partner may not matter to the other, and vice versa. If they can't come to a resolution of the ring issue that makes both feel happy, loved, and financially comfortable, it doesn't say much about the chances for the marriage.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 06:25:10 AM »
I used Blue Nile, which was WAY cheaper than anything comparable at a brick-and-mortar store, but I still spent more than my Mustachian self would now.  I did at least save a bit by going with an I color and a VS2 clarity, and an oval cut vs. a round.  Turns out ovals are just now becoming vogue so I guess I was a few years ahead of the curve.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »

Rubies are generally considered too 'soft' (i.e. easy to break/scratch) for everyday wear.

Wait, I was wrong. Garnets are too soft for everyday wear. Rubies are good.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »
re: the diamonds are a scam issue, I couldn't agree more.  It's a racket.  Also, my girlfriend is generally pretty thrifty and not into buying frivolous stuff, but this is something she wont budge on.  I think she's also interested in a nice diamond precisely so that she can pass it down to our children and grandchildren and start a family tradition.  I'll bring up the moissanite idea, but I have a feeling I'll get the  "...but diamonds are more sparkly, and I can definitely see the difference" response.

Similar for me (I think, I've just started looking into engagement rings and researching).

Will be some interesting conversations that's for sure.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Try James Allen too. You can actually see the stone youre purchasing. This allows you to buy the lowest clarity possible and know it won't look awful. Look for inclusions around the edge of the stone that can be hidden by the prong. Avoid inclusions in the table or center of the stone.

If you are buying a solitaire go for a J color and look for medium or strong flouresence. The flouresence makes the stone look whiter and lowers the price of the stone. If your SO wants yellow or rose gold setting instead of white you can even go to K color as the color of the metal will absorb into the stone.

That said, if you buy from blue nile top cash back has a 5% rebate up to $7500 in purchases that combined with your best reward spending card could save you several hundred dollars.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:45:32 AM by Jags4186 »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
The DeBeer's marketing campaign of, "How else can you make 3 months salary last forever" is considered by many to be the best marketing campaign ever. The rule of paying 3 months salary for a ring was created by the diamond industry.

I was in graduate school when I proposed and my wife let me off the hook. However, I still spent $600 on an Amethyst. This included an employee discount, so I think they run around $1000. She was a little bummed that she is the only one in her friend circle that didn't get a diamond ring. However, she gets more compliments on her ring than her friends because it's beautiful and different. All of her friends have the same 1 ct. princess cut ring.

If you have no way out, I agree with the others that going over 1 ct. is too much. I like the idea of going .98 ct. posted by someone else.

If you have no way to negotiate with your wife on large purchases you better be making a lot of money in the future. It's going to get expensive. Good luck.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
I like the advice about buying from Blue Nile OR the secondary market. That's where the savings are.

Some people a skeeved out about a "used" diamond (but I am not.) Still, it can be hard to find a good one in the shape you want, used. Craigslist always has engagement rings for sale but sometimes overprice. And It's  hard to know if there is an authentic GIA rating.

Blue Nile or--there is another online wholesale place, highly recommended--can't think of it--those are the places to go if you are shopping for stones to put together in a setting.

Stay away from Mall stores--mediocre quality, high prices.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
I used Blue Nile, which was WAY cheaper than anything comparable at a brick-and-mortar store, but I still spent more than my Mustachian self would now.  I did at least save a bit by going with an I color and a VS2 clarity, and an oval cut vs. a round.  Turns out ovals are just now becoming vogue so I guess I was a few years ahead of the curve.

oh yes, ovals are the trendy edge right now! I love them, actually, regardless of the trend. It's just that I am seeing them in so many pretty settings that set them off, they are great!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
If you are going with a diamond, another vote for blue nile.  You can get a quality stone and setting for a lot less than a brick and mortar retailer.  Or, put another way, for the same cash output, get a way nicer quality ring.  Plus, you'll get a reputable grader...  GIA is way more discerning than IGI, for instance.  So a very good cut VS2 as graded by IGI might be labeled only a good cut SI

See if she can't be talked into CZ.  Don't go for moissanite, IMO, they look gaudy compared to diamonds.  Even my untrained eye can point them out.  They often have a subtle yellow or greenish cast, and they are doubly refractive, so they look over-the top rainbow-y.  Pretty enough, but not diamond like.  A well cut CZ is far more comparable in optical qualities to a diamond.

FWIW, I asked for CZ, DH agreed, but at the end of the day he decided on his own to go with a real diamond and went with blue nile.  I am really fond of my ring as it is, but I would have been just as happy with a CZ. 

I have pretty small fingers (ring is size 4 and make could be a hair smaller yet).  So my .65 carat stone is a nice size on my hand, and like others mentioned, a good price because of it's weird in-between size (since it seems diamond weight milestones are at quarters of carats, a 2/3rd carat is kind of unusual.) DH got what I think is a very nice quality stone (maybe a little nicer than needed...).  Specs are: H color, VS1 clarity, ideal cut, with excellent polish and symmetry.  He could have gone to I color, VS2 clarity, but I do appreciate the ideal cut.  You can even get CZs in an H or I color... I prefer them over colorless as colorless looks a bit "cold" somehow.  In an 18 kt white gold setting with .20 carats of pave diamonds on the band, it was just under $2800 otd.  (I only know because he had gotten a 4.5 and we sent it back to get sized down, and the customer service lady told me exactly home much to ensure the package for.)  But remember, gold prices were just starting to rise at the time, which was early 2007.

My only complaint about blue nile is that they don't have less than 18kt gold, or at least they didn't when DH proposed in 2007.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
The DeBeer's marketing campaign of, "How else can you make 3 months salary last forever" is considered by many to be the best marketing campaign ever. The rule of paying 3 months salary for a ring was created by the diamond industry.

I was in graduate school when I proposed and my wife let me off the hook. However, I still spent $600 on an Amethyst. This included an employee discount, so I think they run around $1000. She was a little bummed that she is the only one in her friend circle that didn't get a diamond ring. However, she gets more compliments on her ring than her friends because it's beautiful and different. All of her friends have the same 1 ct. princess cut ring.

If you have no way out, I agree with the others that going over 1 ct. is too much. I like the idea of going .98 ct. posted by someone else.

If you have no way to negotiate with your wife on large purchases you better be making a lot of money in the future. It's going to get expensive. Good luck.
Maybe if she deep-down would really like a diamond, you could buy her one for a major occasion, if your Stache has grown enough since grad. school days. I think that nonsense rule of "3 months salary" is insane and a commercial rip-off, as others have said. But a diamond is a beautiful stone, and I treasure mine. It was certainly a Mustachian diamond, but I would not have wanted a CZ or moissanite.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
You might look on Craigslist if you don't believe in bad juju (I don't).  We got my ring from a large retailer 4 years ago but now I wish my husband would've just found one on CL.  There are tons of people on there (unfortunately) that are looking to unload engagement rings for cheap.  I bet you could get a killer deal.  Maybe have the person meet you at the jewelry store where the ring was purchased and the jeweler could confirm it's authenticity, that way you won't get ripped off.  Make sure the warranties will transfer too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
diamonds are not more sparkly than moissanite

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
You wanna buy mine?  1.02 carat, no inclusions, highest color rating.  (I forget all the tech terms for this stuff).   I have all the certification paperwork.

Seriously - I'd rather put that money into investments. And my marriage is going strong after 11 years and I fully expect it to last til death do we part.  (in case you are superstitious about buying a used diamond).

And yes - diamond engagement rings are bullshit.  Point your fiance to all of the links others have posted that point out what a freaking racket it is.  If she still wants a ring, you can buy mine - PM me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:09:00 PM by Malaysia41 »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
Three months' salary??? When I was a teenager, they "suggested" 1 month's. Then they moved it up to 2. Talk about lifestyle inflation--and for what?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Buying an Engagement Ring
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »

Thought I'd weigh in:

Rubies are corundum, sapphires are corundum. They're the same but red sapphires are called rubies. Corundum is a 9 on the MOHs scale of hardness (if I recall correctly), and diamonds are a 10. Moissanite is 9.5.

Hardness matters depending on your lifestyle and how long she envisions wearing it. Long story short, I'd feel comfortable wearing a sapphire or ruby ring. If it's good enough for Princess Kate... ;)

Edited: sorry, just saw your later post! Yeah, garnets might be a bit soft.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
I work at a fine jewellery store, so PM me if you have any technical questions. If I don't know the answer, I could probably find out.

+1 to buying pre-owned
+1 to using family heirlooms, if possible
+1 to buying something other than a diamond (white sapphire, ruby, moissanite, even cz)

I looooove jewellery but do not support the idea that thousands of dollars should be paid for it. Check out loupetroop.com and rubylane.com for some neat vintage finds. I could recommend some specific etsy sellers if you gave me an idea of the style you're looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »

To reiterate, Moissanite is like a cheesy disco ball compared to a diamond.  If you want a diamond look w/o the diamond price tag, CZ is your best bet.  Just get a very well cut and polished high quality one with a tiny bit of warmth, and you will be good to go.  If you like moissanite as its own thing, that's fine, but it's no diamond, and the savings v. the cost of a diamond for what you get... it just doesn't make sense when there's a CZ alternative. 

Really though, it sounds like she's set on a diamond, so just don't get scammed with an unreal price on a low quality one.  A mustachian thing to do is to put your money on what you value, or in this case, on what she values.  It's one purchase, and if you do it right, she'll probably be happy in the jewelery area for life.  I definitely announced to DH after proposal that I'd never need another piece of jewelry for life after getting my "dream" ring.  I have a co-worker who did not get the ring she wanted (it's just a style thing, not a cost or size of stone thing...).  She wears it and loves it for it's sentimental value, but always feels guilty knowing it's not what she wanted.  Don't do that to her.  Btw, this coworker has a second sizable diamond ring that her DH knew she wanted years into the marriage.  She wears it on her right hand, and wishes it was her e-ring on her other hand.  Save yourself the trouble, just do it "right" according to what you both agree on, the first time around.

Yeah, yeah, we all know that diamonds are a scam, but so are many other things in life...  Good luck!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
Regarding fake diamonds - consider the effect 'fake' has on one's psyche.  Women who think they are carrying fake handbags are more likely lie and cheat. It is possible a similar effect occurs with fake jewelry.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/faking-it/

I still think the edict to buy diamond engagement rings is an elaborate farce played on the American population.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
I'll just add: don't spend too much.

It seems super important in the moment, but it's the marriage that matters in the long run (yeah, yeah, but I mean it!). We bought my ring set for 80% off at a jewelry store that was going out of business and, while it was super cheap, 6 years later I STILL wish we'd spent less. I don't have a real diamond (+1 on the CZ or moissanite) which should give you a sense of how cheap my rings were, but I seriously wish we'd only spent $50 (which is what my husband's titanium ring cost). I've actually been thinking about selling the set (not sure it's worth that much though) and getting that $50 band instead!

P.S. congrats!!

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
If you are near NYC send me a PM and I can send you to a long time friend of mine in the diamond district that will give you an honest deal. You cannot ask for more than that.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
My MIL gave DH a ring that was not a "traditional" wedding band, but has six small hearts in a row that form the front band. We ended up  using that as my wedding band. She told me right before our wedding that it made her feel like Princess Diana (since Kate wears her ring). Ask around, a family member might have something.  My DH spent $900 on a diamond engagement ring (I think regularly $1000 or something, opened a credit card to get a discount). Maybe a lot, but you do wear it the rest of your life (hopefully). Not many other purchases can you guarantee that.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »

I went out of my way to see a moissanite in person. I had to "play " with it in the store, in different lights (and they let me go outdoors with it) to see the full range of its performance.

My end conclusion: I like it for the rainbow effects, I think it's cool. I can see the yellow-greenish tinge. If I were really, seriously, into jewelry I'd probably get a moissy as one of several rings. It's just enough different form diamond that I'd be conflicted to choose it as an engagement ring stone.

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
Titanium rings are a wonderful thing. Hubby has a titanium band, I have a titanium band and a titanium engagement ring. The engagement ring has a teensy diamond in it (it amused me to say "look at the size of this rock" and see people squint then look at me funnily).

Titanium for me is the truly romantic choice, it doesn't wear down, doesn't bend out of shape, doesn't lose its shine and it'll last forever - just like our marriage.

And all of the rings cost about a days wages.

sublime9528

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »
Thanks for all the great replies!  It sounds like Blue Nile is a good place to check out, and from briefly perusing the site, it looks pretty good to me.  re: the moissonite, after doing some research and shopping, it looks to me like in order to get a high quality moissonite ring that looks like a diamond (or close enough), it isn't all that much cheaper in the end.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I'm not convinced its a super great deal.

As a budget I've allotted myself $5,000 max for an engagement ring and wedding ring, and blue nile seems to be able to accommodate that, especially going with J class and very slight inclusions (which she said was totally fine since you wouldn't notice it when on a rose gold setting anyway).

avongil

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
If you live close to NYC, take a trip to the diamond district. You will find the best deals there.
We got our diamond from a dealer in NJ that purchased from there, we still got it cheaper than Blue Nile. I can get you the specifics if you want, but it was about 1K cheaper. It was appraised at 15K recently since its covered under our home owners insurance. No way we can get anywhere close to that, but that's what the $4.7K ring was appraised at.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »

Thanks for all the great replies!  It sounds like Blue Nile is a good place to check out, and from briefly perusing the site, it looks pretty good to me.  re: the moissonite, after doing some research and shopping, it looks to me like in order to get a high quality moissonite ring that looks like a diamond (or close enough), it isn't all that much cheaper in the end.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I'm not convinced its a super great deal.

As a budget I've allotted myself $5,000 max for an engagement ring and wedding ring, and blue nile seems to be able to accommodate that, especially going with J class and very slight inclusions (which she said was totally fine since you wouldn't notice it when on a rose gold setting anyway).

May I ask, what size carat are you looking for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!