Author Topic: Positions for people with...good speaking skills?  (Read 6360 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Positions for people with...good speaking skills?
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »
All my life I've been told I'm a 'great speaker'.  I've never considered pursuing a position in which this is specifically a requirement of the job.  Honestly I don't know many positions for other companies where the title is along the lines of 'presenter' or 'public speaker'. 

I'm just curious...what types of positions are there for people with good 'presentation skills'?  Including roles working for others as well as entrepreneurial positions?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Positions for people with...good speaking skills?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
This is a very important part of being a good trainer, regardless of the subject matter.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »
This is a very important part of being a good trainer, regardless of the subject matter.

Agreed.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
Business development and direct marketing/ account manager

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
All my life I've been told I'm a 'great speaker'.  I've never considered pursuing a position in which this is specifically a requirement of the job.  Honestly I don't know many positions for other companies where the title is along the lines of 'presenter' or 'public speaker'. 

I'm just curious...what types of positions are there for people with good 'presentation skills'?  Including roles working for others as well as entrepreneurial positions?

This should be obivous.....Sales.  But lets be honest, I've work with a lot of Sales people who make $100k+ a year and are absolute dumbasses, but they like to talk so they are able to get the sale.  If I liked to travel and be away from my family, I would take on the life of Sales because most sales people are spoonfed.

They bring in the revenue, I am just an expense, right? 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:45:06 AM by Easye418 »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »

Yes, this is hugely important for a trainer.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »
I just have been thinking a lot about how I keep being given the responsibility of tasks that require speaking...and it seems like at every job I have this happens.  Even if others haven't been assigned this type of task in the past, when I start at the job they end up asking me to do something that requires it.

In my current position right after I started I was tasked to present at 3 international training meetings my team held.  It was nerve wracking beyond belief but lately I've been thinking about other opportunities outside of my day job and things I could be doing that involve my natural talents.  To include something that might involve speaking...

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »

This should be obivous.....Sales.  But lets be honest, I've work with a lot of Sales people who make $100k+ a year and are absolute dumbasses, but they like to talk so they are able to get the sale.  If I liked to travel and be away from my family, I would take on the life of Sales because most sales people are spoonfed.

They bring in the revenue, I am just an expense, right?

Can't believe I forgot about that...I've been told all my life I should be in sales.  But....it doesn't appeal to me.

I've been considering life coaching or starting some type of podcast...

Mr FrugalNL

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Press officer? Teacher? News anchor? TV weather forecaster? Attorney? Actor/actress? Lobbyist? Politician?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
I too have good speaking skills. I teach... college public speaking. :) You do need at least a Master's to teach at the college level, though.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
I too have good speaking skills. I teach... college public speaking. :) You do need at least a Master's to teach at the college level, though.

Interesting!

So you have a MS in Education?

Leanthree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
Not sure of your other skills but moderators/hosts of live panels or web seminars.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
Too bad you don't like sales!

I have been told the same thing about speaking when I worked in retail management. This year I switched my career path to software sales and was able to take my income from $50k/yr to $104k/yr.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »

I have been told the same thing about speaking when I worked in retail management. This year I switched my career path to software sales and was able to take my income from $50k/yr to $104k/yr.

O.O

Hmmmmm.......

What were you doing before??

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

O.O

Hmmmmm.......

What were you doing before??

I managed two brick and mortar retail stores, one inside a mall, the other in a small strip mall.

mrteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
Teaching is certainly a job that requires good speaking skills. You are 'on'/in front of an audience for a few hours each day.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »

Interesting!

So you have a MS in Education?

Nope. To teach at the college level all you need is a Master's degree in your respective field. I have a MA in Communication Studies/Speech Communication.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Positions for people with...good speaking skills?
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
It's a very important skill for senior management and executives. When I was a senior manager at a Big 4 accounting firm, I let it be known that I loved public speaking. I was soon doing a lot of media appearances. When I worked in Minneapolis, I used to guest on the radio show Sound Money and the TV show Right on the Money, both of which were locally produced. Super fun for me. I also did many presentations. Of course, I had to become an expert first . It was also helpful that I had a huge stack of initials after my name. In the end, that's how I found my niche in my work life. I became good at taking technical issues, breaking them down, and explaining them to non-technical people.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:51:33 PM by pbkmaine »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »
yeah good post kbmaine. I was going to suggest TV presenter too, or be a chat show guest, or breakfast TV guest.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
I am a litigation attorney. As a strong introvert I hate small-talk but get a thrill out of substantive presentations in court or at conferences. Arguing a case in court is like motorcycling - your sense sharpen, you feel a high level of focus, and all the external brain clutter and worries just go away for the next hour.

Of course, an hour of argument may require ten hours of tedious preparation, which is not nearly as fun!