Author Topic: Buyers remorse. Looking for insight.  (Read 6574 times)

lifeminimalized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Buyers remorse. Looking for insight.
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
Little bit of a coffee snob. Purchased a Technovorm Moccamaster last week because I was sick of horrible tasting coffee but still wanted to retain convenience. These coffee makers are $300.00, I also picked up a decent burr grinder. Coffee is out of this world now, couldn't ask for a better cup of coffee and that is valuable to me.

Now, a week later I'm having some buyers remorse due to the price tag matched with the fact I'm a very tidy, frugal, and minimal person. So, now I have been eyeing the cheaper alternative which is a glass Chemex setup.

I'm still within the return period for the Technovorm Moccamaster, however I wanted to seek insight on how much I will notice as far as "more hands on and time consuming" the Chemex is going to be. I do not mind a little more work, but if the deviation in convenience is wide enough I would be more willing to justify my $300.00 purchase.

Could someone who knows about both methods and both setups offer their insight on this. Is the cheaper alternative just as quality of coffee, cheaper, and only at the expense of a little more hands on?

I can always go out and purchase (credit card) the Chemex, try it out and return the one I favor.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:38:45 PM by lifeminimalized »

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Buyers remorse. Looking for insight.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
Little bit of a coffee snob...Coffee is out of this world now, couldn't ask for a better cup of coffee and that is valuable to me.
To me, this is the key point. Coffee is important to you; you found a way to make great coffee for what seems to me like a very reasonable all-in price (assuming the machines are likely to last 3+ years).

Stop worrying about it. You "won" this round.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
We've had our Moccamaster for over 6 years now, love it and use it almost every day. Still works and looks like new. Great design, high quality components and solid SIMPLE construction == durability and ease of maintenance.

It's more expensive because it's not following the disposable appliance trend, nor does the company engage in shenanigans like planned obsolescence (our model is literally unchanged since well before we bought it).

You'll more than get your money's worth if you regularly make coffee at home.

I wish there were more appliances like the Moccamaster where I could pay more for something so functional and simple, but unfortunately most companies have learned they can make a lot more by enticing people to "upgrade" every few years to models with ever more confounding array of features and buttons that invariably break. Try finding a crockpot nowadays that is built to last more than 5 years :(

I'm still looking for a durable decent burr grinder. Wore out the burrs on the Capresso (which are not replaceable) and burnt out the motor on a Baratza (which has replaceable burrs, but the motor is not really).  If our current Baratza fails within 3-4 years I think I'll pull the trigger on one that's more commercial grade.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:45:55 PM by FINate »

lifeminimalized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:55:17 PM »
How long did you Capresso last? I just picked up the conical grinder they make.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »
Don't fret over a one-time $300 purchase for something that adds
pleasure to your life. 

Enjoy your coffee!

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
How long did you Capresso last? I just picked up the conical grinder they make.

About 3 years of heavy usage before the burrs wore down and we noticed that it was taking much longer to grind, and was pulverizing instead of grinding.  Not a bad value for the amount of use, I just don't like having to throw things out because they can't be repaired.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »
Did you consider aeropress at all?

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
What's your overall situation? Are you knee deep in high interest debt? Return it.

Is 300$ a blimp on your savings radar? Keep it.

Have you budgeted for it? Keep it.

Minimalism is also Intentionalism. Maximize the use you get for your money. And this purchase really sounds like you enjoy it.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:21:27 AM »
I want one but dont have time in the morning to fiddle around  with wetting filters, stirring the coffeein the filter and all that.

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
We got sick and tired of coffee makers and grinders eventually waring out and filling with pieces and parts to keep clean. That said, we now have the simplest set up for great coffee. We dug out an old grinder we had were the blades had dulled. We simple sharpened the blades with a small knife sharpener - problem solved. Ad for making coffee, we took a glass coffee cone you can buy on AMAZON for 19.00 (no more plastic cones with hot water), we then sampled a few of our many small stainless steel carafes and found one that fit the opening, we boil the water, do other things while it is boiling, then we poor it over carefully a little a time. It does not take all that much more time and you can be sure that all the grounds you put in get evenly used. We have the best tasting coffee, super cheap and will not buy a coffee maker ever again. No more machines in landfills.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
Another POV,  that may not be popular, is that if you return that machine not because there is anything wrong with it,
you just changed your mind,
the retailer, then manufacturer are stuck with a used item through no fault of their own.

Use it, enjoy it and move on with your life. If you're in hair-on-fire-debt, let this be a lesson. If you're not, let this be a reward. $300 for something you'll enjoy for years is just a blip.

Edited for wonky spacing.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:40:45 AM by Dicey »

apricity22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »
When I clicked on this post I thought I was going to read about a motor vehicle purchase or something else ongoing and frivolous. It's a one time purchase which it seems like you will enjoy. Enjoy it!

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »
Did you consider aeropress at all?

+1

fresh beans + grinder + aeropress = great coffee

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
We got sick and tired of coffee makers and grinders eventually waring out and filling with pieces and parts to keep clean. That said, we now have the simplest set up for great coffee. We dug out an old grinder we had were the blades had dulled. We simple sharpened the blades with a small knife sharpener - problem solved. Ad for making coffee, we took a glass coffee cone you can buy on AMAZON for 19.00 (no more plastic cones with hot water), we then sampled a few of our many small stainless steel carafes and found one that fit the opening, we boil the water, do other things while it is boiling, then we poor it over carefully a little a time. It does not take all that much more time and you can be sure that all the grounds you put in get evenly used. We have the best tasting coffee, super cheap and will not buy a coffee maker ever again. No more machines in landfills.

Good advice. We had a Chemex. It cracked. We got another. It broke. We're now using the old cracked Chemex and looking to replace it with exactly the setup that Larsg has.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Well, I got all impressed by these fancy hipster auto drips that I asked my brother in law for his opinion. I knew he had a nice espresso machine so figured he might know about these. Turns out he had a technivorm and a grinder sitting in his basement. My girlfriend and I just tried it out and man it's good. I have some fiddling to do but it was a bajillion percent better than the keurig we were using with a reusable filter and decent coffee.

I need to descale this thing, but I guess I'm going to be fiddling with it in the mornings before work now!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Well, I got all impressed by these fancy hipster auto drips that I asked my brother in law for his opinion. I knew he had a nice espresso machine so figured he might know about these. Turns out he had a technivorm and a grinder sitting in his basement.
Wow, that's the best kind of BIL! What else is in his basement?

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »
Is the Chemex really that much less to justify the return/exchange? I looked at one long ago and I remember it being $200ish. That extra $100 wouldn't be worth it to me.

Good coffee is priceless.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
Is the Chemex really that much less to justify the return/exchange? I looked at one long ago and I remember it being $200ish. That extra $100 wouldn't be worth it to me.

Good coffee is priceless.

A Chemex is around 30-40$ plus filters.  I'd say it's cheaper to justify the exchange.

That said, chemex or pour over in generally is a bit more finicky.  Grind and water temp are more important and controlled by the maker...which allows more room for error.

From water boiling to finish cup it takes about 6-7 minutes, much of that is dependent on the time to heat the water.  Most of that time you need to babysit it.  Boil water, wait, (don't let the water get too hot), pour some water and let it bloom, wait, pour more water, wait, pour more water, wait, done.

It's the only way I make coffee at home.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!