Author Topic: Buy used and save the difference: What pre-owned goods have you bought recently?  (Read 6946 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Buy used and save the difference

What pre-owned goods have you bought recently?

* Comforter for my daughter's big-girl bed
* NIB French lead-crystal wine glasses
* A terra cotta pot
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:33:36 PM by jengod »

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
My husband and I moved 2500 miles and bought a converted barn. Because we got rid of most of our stuff when we moved and live in a quirky house, we decided to buy solid wood antique furniture. Craigslist has been a godsend. We bought a beautiful, but beat 1950s dining set, a couple of carved oak end tables, a late 1800s pantry, a small pie safe, and a book shelf all for less than $1000. None of it matches and I couldn't care less. I'm currently hunting for the perfect buffet to use as a TV stand.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
This week I bought a rocking chair for the front porch from the consignment shop, $30 cheaper than the exact same chair brand new.

A few months ago I bought a mid-century stereo cabinet that we use as a buffet/bar cabinet for the dining room. ($80, perfect beautiful condition). Also found a mid century trestle or (mission?) oak table with 2 leaves at consignment for $85. To finish off the room, we bought a piano (made in 1964) from a neighbor for $500. The piano tuner guy said it was probably worth $1400-$1600. Our room looks all retro now. :)

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A dryer for $75
A year before that a washer for $80

Craigslist for the win! Both were within 10 minutes of our house.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Shoes, €8. Converse-like model but a fake brand so no clue about new price.
Small fridge, €35. The only website where I can find the same model online sells it for €300 (which is think is ridiculously expensive) but a similar Ikea fridge would be in the range of €130.
Sleeping sofa, €100. Would be €200 new.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Waffle iron from a thrift shop ($4), use it all the time.
A bunch of books to donate to a local elementary school.
Train set for my son ($15)

That's about it. Otherwise, I've been focused on decluttering rather than acquiring.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A car rack (kayak/canoe) for $50...yea!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
A huge bin of Duplo Lego for our grandson when he visits.  There is probably $200CAN worth - I've been able to separate out at least 7 complete sets, plus there are still tons of extra pieces. Cost us $20.

A Baby Bjorn travel crib.  $80CAN - used twice by previous owners, in pristine condition, and she threw in 2 fitted sheets too.  When we no longer need it, I can probably sell it for more than I paid for it.  They routinely go for $130 used here.

A stained glass grinder and other tools.  I knew it was a good one, but when I looked at it at home, realized it is a top of the line model.  Owner also threw in rolls and rolls of copper tape, bits, etc.  $50 for what would cost hundreds new.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
My favorite - two Ekornes Stressless recliners for a total of $375 off Craigslist. They start at around $1500 each in the stores.

I buy a lot of used stuff, especially when it comes to cycling gear.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
Dishes from the thrift store (ours are all chipped after years of use, and we decided instead of buying a new matching set, we'd just pick up dishes we liked here and there).  Two cool cereal bowls, a quarter each.  Plates for $1 instead of $15 each (they still had the stickers on the bottom).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
The last major pre-owned purchase we made was a big steel squat rack. We got it for $60. It's huge, and super sturdy- we could get that much from it for scrap! The biggest thing was the guy couldn't really get anyone to move it! (And it was hellacious, even with our truck and three of us lifting... and my husband and I are both lifters, hence getting the rack!) We did have to replace the brackets, and since it's a non standard 3"x3" frame, they cost $70. So that added some cost, but anything approaching the quality would have been $800+ new.

A lot of our home gym is pre-owned, for that matter. We got our lifting platform free- it had been cut down by a gym that was replacing their platforms. We got it for free, and reframed it to hold it together. Works great. Proper wood flooring on the part you stand on and everything. Easily $200 in materials if we had wanted to make it ourselves.

Plus, all of our home gym spending has kept us from having gym memberships for going on... 3 years now I think? All in on our home olympic lifting gym setup I think we're around $800? In the same time, gym memberships at a *basic* place without oly gear would have been nearly $3k. For an oly gym? Try about $7,200. Crazy. And if we ever need to, we could sell our gym setup for at least as much as we put into it.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Picked up a heavy duty Craftsman edger for free from neighbors who are moving/ downsizing.  They're having an estate sale in two weeks so we can check and see if there's anything else we may need furniture or tool-wise.

Making Cents

• Stubble
Should have read this thread before posting this:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/iphones-that-are-paying-me/msg1980482/?topicseen#msg1980482

Used and refurbished phones are our only major discretionary purchase so far this calendar year. In December, we bought a brand new (in box!) high-speed latest greatest modem for 30% of the price, used on Craigslist. We also bought a not so shiny upgraded router/file server also used on CL for about half price. (I telecommute 2 or 3 days a week, so tech upgrades are occasionally necessary.)

Also, I haven't used them lately because I only shop for clothing when I have specific items on a list for a while, but I recommend Poshmark for used but fancy shoes, purses, and belts, well cared for at low prices. Deals vary widely, but I've gotten real leather designer items there for less than I would pay at for a sale of faux leather cheap stuff at Target.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:11:22 PM by Making Cents »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I’m not entirely sure they were “used” before me, but from my favorite thrift shop I purchased a handmade baby quilt.  I have it hanging on my wall because it’s bright and cheerful, but I will gift it to the next pregnant coworker in my life.  It still had loose threads and tailor’s pencil on it.

I had to buy a replacement TV remote last week when my cats had a wild cat party and lost my remote in some nook and cranny I have yet to locate.  So for $7 I got a replacement on EBay. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
I bought an unopened box of canning jar lids at the thrift store this week. I need to keep my eyes open for some new rings, though. Good thing yard sale season is almost here!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Recently:
* Dahon folding bike for $150, typically $250+, will take to San Francisco in checked luggage for the summer and use to commute from home to my studio in one of the few flat parts of the city. Will resell for same amount or higher when I leave.
* A black lacquered bar I use for hiding all my dishes, kitchen things, etc. Opens up and looks sleek, perfect for my tiny apartment where you really don't want any visible clutter. It was custom made in Shanghai for a French couple, really elegant. $300, worth $1-2k new

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
Sewing machines
I've been sewing since I was 7 and in 1982 my husband told me to go out and buy a new machine.  I walked into the shop and told the guy I wanted the best I could get that did not have a computer and no plastic. He sold one to me that was being used in schools at the time. (back then, school used then in their home ec classes)
It is a workhorse.
Then, my brain injury and I got concerned I might not be able to learn a new machine, and I wanted parts for this one in case they con't make them anymore.

So I bought some off ebay for $50 - $100 each. My original cost $800.
Parts??? They all work!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Sewing machines
I've been sewing since I was 7 and in 1982 my husband told me to go out and buy a new machine.  I walked into the shop and told the guy I wanted the best I could get that did not have a computer and no plastic. He sold one to me that was being used in schools at the time. (back then, school used then in their home ec classes)
It is a workhorse.
Then, my brain injury and I got concerned I might not be able to learn a new machine, and I wanted parts for this one in case they con't make them anymore.

So I bought some off ebay for $50 - $100 each. My original cost $800.
Parts??? They all work!

My mother did this to get parts for her 1960s Necchi sewing machine. He was happy to sell her the whole works for $150 including shipping or something.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
I've been looking for top coat for quite a while (more than 5 years).  I really like the cashmere ones, but I don't like the price tag ($500+)

Then yesterday I was into goodwill and found a mint condition merino wool top coat that fit me perfectly without a tag.  I figured I'd buy it if the wanted less than $20 for it.  I took it to the register... they said it was $12.99, but since it was Saturday it was 50% off.  Rang up at $6.49.  Finally have my coat!

Sorry to brag, but I got a steal!  I literally feel like I stole it.

bugbaby

• Bristles
4 blouses on eBay $30, 4 pants on eBay $11 (new to gently used shipping included).. bought after I shopped around - probably $200 new total.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Bought some used velvet like shirts on Ebay. Also bought 3 Carol Hochman lounging pajamas at about 1/3 the regular price plus free shipping.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
I get  many things used. We are furnishing a weekend house and I try to get things for free before buying them used. Yesterday I pulled, out of the dumpster, a small table and an ottoman, both things
I need for this house.

But outside of furnished ngs for 2nd house, I buy most all of my clothing fromthridt stores.

I no longer go toestate sales or garage sales because I dont need more crap.but
I admit to hitting the thrift stores regularly.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
A stained glass grinder and other tools.  I knew it was a good one, but when I looked at it at home, realized it is a top of the line model.  Owner also threw in rolls and rolls of copper tape, bits, etc.  $50 for what would cost hundreds new.

Wow.  Envious.  That used to be my hobby and I loved it.  I'd do my own original designs.  I still have the grinder but it's been sitting in a box for 30 years and I don't know if it works.  I gave away all of my art glass when we moved to Ontario.  I've been meaning to start again once I'm retired but need a space where I can make a mess.

Do you post pics of your projects?  I'd love to see then.

Erm ... So as to not hijack this thread, we buy all furniture used except for upholstered stuff and mattresses.  And bikes.  All of my bikes have been purchased used.  I paid $80 for my Trek.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Gotta be careful with upholstered furniture and mattresses. Bed bugs!!!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Gotta be careful with upholstered furniture and mattresses. Bed bugs!!!
you are so right, and I did view a YOUTUBe video on identifying bedbugs before I put the ottoman on our trailer.

Normally I will not be pulling in upholstered furniture from the alley, although I did it for decades in the 80’s and 90’s. But now, too promlematic.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
DW needed a pedometer to enter a challenge at her work. If she averages 7k steps a day for a month she will get 10% off our health insurance premium.

Went to bestbuy, $150 for a fancy fitbit. Forget about the apple watch, good god.

Went on CL and picked up a fancy used fitbit for 40$. Should save us $250 in premiums per year.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
I know this isn't exactly what the OP meant, but recently I bought these. Our house was built in 1915 and I like to have 'something' in each room from 1915. Arched windows, with side arches, seem to be a theme of our addition, so I like to continue that too.

I'm not finished yet, but in the family room I put 2 authentic radiator shrouds from 1915 Model Ts on the tv wall. If you look close, there is a 1915 Model T baluuuuga horn by one of the shrouds. I have yet to frame a booklet one would receive when buying a 1915 Model T. Each one of the shrouds has the original Ford emblem.

It's kind of a tribute to my Dad too. He never had a Model T but he loved his old cars.
When we bought our house, it had the original garage, with it's obvious 2' extension for when cars got bigger.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache

Wow.  Envious.  That used to be my hobby and I loved it.  I'd do my own original designs.  I still have the grinder but it's been sitting in a box for 30 years and I don't know if it works.  I gave away all of my art glass when we moved to Ontario.  I've been meaning to start again once I'm retired but need a space where I can make a mess.

Do you post pics of your projects?  I'd love to see then.

I've posted a few pics in the homemade Christmas thread, but I am not at your level.  I am a beginner - had a short series of classes, and fumble around on my own.  I mostly make ornaments or garden stakes for now - I use the ornaments instead of gift tags for Christmas.  I really need a better soldering iron - the one I have doesn't maintain temp.  I keep looking for a used one, but no luck so far.

This was my very first project.  Lots of mistakes, but I like it anyway.

ETA:  I have no idea why it is sideways!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Oh I thought of another I recently did! My trail running shoes had to finally be laid to rest (RIP) because there was ZERO tread left. The model was discontinued years ago. New train running shoes by the company, even last year's models on 6pm? $80+ So instead I went on ebay and got exactly the ones I had before for $40! And I know they'll fit and work perfectly. Those last ones lasted me 6 years and god knows how many trail miles, so I'm happy to replace with the same =) As an extra bonus, that first pair I had gotten at a TJMaxx for $30 when they were originally discontinuing the model, haha.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
I just bought my dh the pasta maker that he wanted for his pottery studio - $6.50.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Bought a fairly crappy genuine sheepskin for $2, washed it, then chopped it up to make 8 pairs of woolen insoles. They'll last for years and they're easy to wash.

Got half a roll of self adhesive grit tape supposed to be used to make steps and things non slip for $1. Chopped it up to make stick on anti-slip bits for the bottom of high heeled shoes.

Got a pair of leather heeled ankle boots in a pinky red colour for $3.

Yeah, basically tarted up all my shoes for winter for a few bucks, and got a new pair as well.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
Microwave: $25 from craigslist.

I can remember back when these were super expensive and thieves
would actually steal them (along with the television sets) when they'd
break into peoples' homes.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
A $50 coffee grinder for $5 at a thrift shop.  Lots of small clear glass vases for 0.25-0.50 a piece for an upcoming wedding.  Some pieces of old bowling alley DH makes cool tables from.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
€4 summer dress, €4 jeans and €2 large ceramic fruit bowl (have been looking for one this size for a long time)

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble

Why do these threads exist? If someone is in this forum, he for sure means doing some level of frugality.
By doing these threads, are people writing things for giving ideas to others or are they consoling themselves?

Sometimes I feel it as a waste of bandwidth, energy, sources. Please educate me. (I am not saying it wrong or scolding anyone, I just cant understand the value).

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
Gosh, I buy almost everything second hand.

Most recently I bought a nice front load washer and dryer set (a few years old, in great condition) for $200.  And aside from a few nice antique pieces (which, by definition would also count as used, but are also expensive) my whole house is was furnished with inexpensive used furnishings.

• Great conditioin, used couch - $250
    Goreous wood dining table for 6 or 8 people - $75
    Set of dining chairs $30 (plus some work and $50ish in materials to replace and recover seats)
    Dresser and 2 bedside tables - $80
    Brand name stainless steel, frech door refrigerator - $300
    Brand name, stainless steel, convection oven and range - $200
    2 Queen sized, used queen beds (mattress, box spring and frame) $350 for both.  I know a lot of people are queasy about this idea but as long as you inspect them before buying them, i've never had any trouble.  No different than sleeping in a hotel bed.

Even my favorite set of extremely nice flannel sheets was $14.  For me buyin used is as much about the environmental impact as the financial.  Finding used items in good condition takes so much time and effort that the money saved could be considered a wash if you have something better to do with that time.  But I like that the time and effort I put into sourcing used items dimishes the deman that I create for new products to be manufactured and transported.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache

Most recently I bought a nice front load washer and dryer set (a few years old, in great condition) for $200.  And aside from a few nice antique pieces (which, by definition would also count as used, but are also expensive) my whole house is was furnished with inexpensive used furnishings.

Set of dining chairs $30 (plus some work and $50ish in materials to replace and recover seats)
    2 Queen sized, used queen beds (mattress, box spring and frame) $350 for both.  I know a lot of people are queasy about this idea but as long as you inspect them before buying them, i've never had any trouble.  No different than sleeping in a hotel bed.

Even my favorite set of extremely nice flannel sheets was $14.  For me buyin used is as much about the environmental impact as the financial.  Finding used items in good condition takes so much time and effort that the money saved could be considered a wash if you have something better to do with that time.  But I like that the time and effort I put into sourcing used items dimishes the deman that I create for new products to be manufactured and transported.

Oooh how did you find the flannel? I've never had good luck finding used linens in good condition.

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017

Oooh how did you find the flannel? I've never had good luck finding used linens in good condition.

I found them at one of those last chance Goodwills that sells everything by weight.  Was looking for kid's clothes and found the first sheet, but didn't pick it up because I didn't expect to find the rest of the set.  But it was all there, including pillow cases. 

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
Our local university has a surplus sale each week. We got an Alta Fitbit ($20), current generation iPad and cover  ($120), and a floor lamp ($20). Opted not to get the $30 microscope for our son or the $20 endtables. Their electronic equipment is always in impeccable condition, so much so that I often wonder if it was ever even opened.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache

Why do these threads exist? If someone is in this forum, he for sure means doing some level of frugality.
By doing these threads, are people writing things for giving ideas to others or are they consoling themselves?

Sometimes I feel it as a waste of bandwidth, energy, sources. Please educate me. (I am not saying it wrong or scolding anyone, I just cant understand the value).

Accountability partnership

Reminders to stay on the path

Sense of belonging

Curious to get ideas and reminders of other ways of doing things

Positive reinforcement

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
In nearly 30 years of continuous car ownership, I've never bought a new car.  Haven't had a car payment since 1997.

DH is the same.  I suppose we'd be more mustachian if we only owned bikes and not cars.  Not there yet (although our bikes are used also).

Accountability partnership

Reminders to stay on the path

Sense of belonging

Curious to get ideas and reminders of other ways of doing things

Positive reinforcement

Add:  Fun! 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I wrote to a stranger on Craigslist this morning about their used, good condition cat tree for sale.  I’ll be buying it tomorrow if nobody snatched it up today. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Good oil and chemical-resistant work boots for me for $10. Most expensive thrift purchase this year, likely, but I’ll use them come fall. Oh, wait, no, I also paid $10 for a second monitor for my desk in husband’s grad school city (where I’ll spend most of the summer with just weekends at home). I!m teaching online so I need it.

Sun hat for $2, water bottle with belt loop for 50 cents. Had been looking for both for a couple weeks. Polo shirt for $2.50 - will replace one I’ve nearly worn out.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Jogging stroller for $50, and a backpack baby carrier for $100.  The price for these things new is just dumb.  We'll probably be able to sell both of them for the same amount or more in a couple years.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Two fancy blazers for work, and two high end cotton Oxford dress shirts to wear with suits.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
Jogging stroller for $50, and a backpack baby carrier for $100.  The price for these things new is just dumb.  We'll probably be able to sell both of them for the same amount or more in a couple years.

This is the best thing about buying used.  Often the price of the item
is fully depreciated, so when you later put it up for sale, you get almost all
of your original cost reimbursed.  (I've bought and sold used bicycles, for
example.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!