Author Topic: Buy, resell SNES classic?  (Read 6887 times)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Buy, resell SNES classic?
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
The previous NES classic sold out immediately and now goes for ~$200+ on ebay. Sold new for $60 I believe. The SNES classic comes out in september, and the preorder is already sold out. Price is $80. I signed up for email notification at several stores.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic/dp/B0721GGGS9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499787620&sr=8-1

Any opinions on whether it may be worth getting one (or 2-3?) and trying to upsell on ebay around christmas? If up-charge is about the same maybe make $150/unit? I have no idea whether the nostalgia for the SNES is more or less. Reading tech blogs it seems people who are into this sort of thing are pretty excited about this one.. I'm about the right age, but never owned any of these so don't really want to get stuck with one. I guess at worst I could unload them at cost.

plog

• Bristles
Re: Buy, resell SNES classic?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
I see 2 reasons to do this--money and fun.   My girlfriend loves flipping stuff so she would do this if she thought she could make $1 on it.  I hate flipping stuff and would have to make a profit of over $1000 to do this. 

So, where do you fall?  Is this for money or fun?   You're best case scenario money wise is $210 --> 3*(150 - 80).  You have to assign a fun value.

With that said, I don't think the SNES will be in as high demand as the NES.  In its day the NES sold about 62 million units, the SNES 49 million:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:50:38 AM by plog »

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
I see 2 reasons to do this--money and fun.   My girlfriend loves flipping stuff so she would do this if she thought she could make $1 on it.  I hate flipping stuff and would have to make a profit of over $1000 to do this. 

So, where do you fall?  Is this for money or fun?   You're best case scenario money wise is $210 --> 3*(150 - 80).  You have to assign a fun value.

With that said, I don't think the SNES will be in as high demand as the NES.  In its day the NES sold about 62 million units, the SNES 49 million:

I would disagree with that the SNES classic would sell less than NES classic due to the sales numbers of the original console. I don't have numbers for this, but being part of the target demographics I suspect the SNES will sell better due to having a stronger what I would call nostalgia factor. However it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo also manufactured more given this and also the way the NES classic sold. If they manufacture more due to this they might not rise to the same value the NES did.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
I think it'd be a good buy.  If the demand ends up not being there to make resale worth it, just hold on to the receipt and return it.  I might do this too.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »

I would disagree with that the SNES classic would sell less than NES classic due to the sales numbers of the original console. I don't have numbers for this, but being part of the target demographics I suspect the SNES will sell better due to having a stronger what I would call nostalgia factor. However it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo also manufactured more given this and also the way the NES classic sold. If they manufacture more due to this they might not rise to the same value the NES did.

I agree with this sentiment. Much more of a nostalgia factor for me with the SNES compared with the NES, and I played both growing up (granted I was pretty young when NES was released).

I'd err on the side of fewer units manufactured since this seems to be how Nintendo rolled with the NES classic.

It may also happen that you need to hold on to these for a while before peak resale value is reached (e.g. once production ends). Maybe.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »

Yes that's my worry about this, that Nintendo make much more this time. But they don't really have a strong record. The Wii was sold out forever, so was the NESc and the Switch (?). I wondering if they're just not able to make enough, even if they wanted to.

And the return would be better than someone said above, assuming similar to NES. Those still go for $200+ on ebay. So say $250-80 = $170 *3 = $510. Not bad. If you can get ahold of 3 that is.. If I'm able to I think I'll buy at least one.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:04:03 PM by Scandium »

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
I like flipping stuff but I also love video games and hate scalpers so I'm torn.  My opinion leans towards buy one and sell it if you can make money.  If Nintendo makes more than expected, be prepared to eat it (or play it and enjoy it).  Buying multiple and limiting the amount available for the real fans(unless they pay a markup) is kinda shitty so please don't buy more than one.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
I made a few hundred bucks flipping 3 or 4 Wiis back in the day.

I also had to return a couple PS3's when there was no market for them.  If I'm not mistaken they were $600 on release right?  That was unreal.

I'm not sure what the SNES will do, but you can always return them if there is no immediate market.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »

I agree with this sentiment. Much more of a nostalgia factor for me with the SNES compared with the NES, and I played both growing up (granted I was pretty young when NES was released).

I'd err on the side of fewer units manufactured since this seems to be how Nintendo rolled with the NES classic.

It may also happen that you need to hold on to these for a while before peak resale value is reached (e.g. once production ends). Maybe.

Although the NES was a classic, amazing system, there is only so much that can be done with 8-bits.  It's hard to get beyond a face that is composed of 8 pixels.  Once you get to 32 bit there is enough resolution to get some emotion in there.  Additionally, the games tended to be short and/or lacked a save feature.  Not until you get to the NES that you start having games that you play for a while.  Similarly, systems before NES were even worse.  The transition from Pong to Mario is a huge increase in gaming enjoyability.

You can say the same thing about every next iteration of gaming system I suppose, but... I guess my point is that the NES to SNES (or 8 to 32 bit) transition ended up making a large jump in gaming experience, and the magnitude of such jumps seems to get less and less with each new generation.  Probably because systems become less and less groundbreaking.  Probably why the Wii did so well and probably will be remembered longer than various other modern gaming systems; it actually did something new.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
SNES was 16 bit.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »

Same here, I had the NES, SNES, Gamecube etc etc.

However the one that I'm probably most nostalgic about would be the SNES, part of it is likely that it is the first one to get some more in depth stories in games facilitated by extra storage space on the cartridges and 16-bit graphics have aged much better than 8-bit graphics have.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
Same here, I had the NES, SNES, Gamecube etc etc.

However the one that I'm probably most nostalgic about would be the SNES, part of it is likely that it is the first one to get some more in depth stories in games facilitated by extra storage space on the cartridges and 16-bit graphics have aged much better than 8-bit graphics have.

Yup.

There's a reason why so many indie games these days are trying to recreate the experience of games from the 16-bit era.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy either unit since I've played the hell out of these games using emulators and some have even been redone fairly well on android and iOS.

If however a remake of FFVII would ever finish....

w@nker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »
My wife and I ended up getting 7 NES Classics (part luck, part diligence), but we ended up giving them away as Christmas gifts rather than selling them.  Crazy, I know.

We plan on getting a number of SNESs as well (we have our methods), but I think we'll probably again give some away as gifts rather than sell them.

I agree with one poster who said it is fun.  We honestly enjoy the "hunt."  I know, we're dorky.  Sue us.

FWIW - I think demand for the SNES will be greater, given that everyone now knows how rare the NES Classics were...but I think that will be more than offset by more supply from Nintendo.  So, I expect a lot of resell opportunity for folks early on, but I expect that to wane meaningfully.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
A few of my thoughts and observations:
  • This hasn't gone on preorder in the U.S.  They aren't sold out everywhere, they just haven't gone on sale.  You were able to preorder from some other parts of the world, though.  In the U.S. Nintendo was late in trying to secure FCC approval for the device, and they're still waiting.
  • I believe this will be much more popular than the NES mini judging by the ridiculously lengthy threads on NeoGAF, CAG and reddit, and the fact that preorders sold out in minutes overseas.  The game list is also much better than the one was for the NES, and these games have aged much better.  It also has an unreleased game from a popular series.
  • I still can't believe people are crazy enough to pay hundreds of dollars for something that can be easily replicated with a $40 Raspberry Pi and RetroPie.
  • Scalpers are scum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:42:53 PM by simmias »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
A few of my thoughts and observations:
  • This hasn't gone on preorder in the U.S.  They aren't sold out everywhere, they just haven't gone on sale.  You were able to preorder from some other parts of the world, though.  In the U.S. Nintendo was late in trying to secure FCC approval for the device, and they're still waiting.
  • I believe this will be much more popular than the NES mini judging by the ridiculously lengthy threads on NeoGAF, CAG and reddit, and the fact that preorders sold out in minutes overseas.  The game list is also much better than the one was for the NES, and these games have aged much better.  It also has an unreleased game from a popular series.
  • I still can't believe people are crazy enough to pay hundreds of dollars for something that can be easily replicated with a $40 Raspberry Pi and RetroPie.
  • Scalpers are scum.
(3) Can it be replicated in a couple of hours and would that include the same style of controllers as provided with the original system?
(4) Scalpers are not scum; they correct market inefficiencies for products that are under-valued (like the NES mini was).

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »
(3) Can it be replicated in a couple of hours and would that include the same style of controllers as provided with the original system?
(4) Scalpers are not scum; they correct market inefficiencies for products that are under-valued (like the NES mini was).
RetroPie setup is stupid easy, even for people who are not technologically inclined.  There are tutorials everywhere.  It's maybe 3 minutes of assembly and an hour or two at most of tinkering to get things right for someone with zero knowledge of Linux.  There are even full images you can flash if you want to make it completely dummy proof and have it take a few minutes.

If you want a controller that's better than the SNES controllers that will come with this one, spend $15 on an iBuffalo.  You can even use your old SNES controllers with a little know-how.  Personally I use a DS4.

We're just going to disagree on your second point.  I have little regard for people who take advantage of scarcity for personal gain.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:11:33 PM by simmias »

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 10:16:12 PM »
The first thing that came to mind. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbjpOU_CXo