Author Topic: Business School Expense  (Read 2940 times)

MMJsand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Business School Expense
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »
At 52 is the expense of an 'Entrepreneural' business school (http://www.actonmba.org) in Austin Tx for $49K, 10 month worth the price and time? I am 52 retired military with a comfortable civilian job with enough income and investments, looking at cutting away completely within the next 1-3 years. I am getting restless and like the idea of doing my own thing and the entrepreneurial spirit. I have several friends that have done this program and recommend the program, just not sure it is worth the investment/time versus learning myself through Moocs, reading, and pure research on my own....any advice would greatly be appreciated. I already have a undergrad in liberal arts and graduate degree as Masters of Public Administration, again just trying to gain a consensus of ideas. Thanks

Mike

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Business School Expense
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
If you are there to make connections maybe. But the material you can easily get in a book.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
Have you checked into UT Austin?  Great school, and might be more affordable. Also, when I went to UT, I recall that there were several students that were retired military. I believe that may have had some retirement benefits they could use for education. Might be worth checking into.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
I recommend a industry based training program, rather than academic.  My husband did this one years ago, and the difference is that all the trainers and advisors are actually industry professionals who routinely advise business clients.

Access therefore to legal, marketing, strategy, tax, accounting and business advisors, not just academic professors.

http://www.mnp.ca/en/consulting/self-employment

When you consider that he had 20 hours of advising from people who normally charge $250 / hr for that service, plus the in-class entrepreneurship training, plus the fact that 100% of the students were actively starting businesses at the same time, it was HIGHLY worthwhile.

Does your program offer that or is it academic based at a University / College?  If academic, look at your local state sponsored entrepreneurial / small business supports that are available instead.

FYI -- I took an MBA course on entrepreneurship and business plan writing, which gave me a lot of knowledge, but was no where nearly as great as DH's program for new business start up.

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »
If you just want the degree to have the degree and to gain some "business sense" or however you'd phrase it, I'd recommend checking out Western Governors University. It's a NON-PROFIT, online university. It's regionally accredited, too. Their MBA won't help you much if you're hoping to use it to get a job that requires an MBA (unless you're being promoted from within and the degree is just a formality). The price is right, though, and you can go at your own pace. For the tuition, you're allowed to take as many competency units as you can. I'd strongly suggest looking into WGU.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
If you are there to make connections maybe. But the material you can easily get in a book.

This. If you want to be an entrepreneur, go out and do it. Don't spend $50K and a year of your life being a wantrepreneur.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »

This. If you want to be an entrepreneur, go out and do it. Don't spend $50K and a year of your life being a wantrepreneur.
+1 

If you want to get some business education, check out a community college for accounting coursework.  You'll probably learn a lot if you are starting at no accounting knowledge and it will be useful for a small business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk