Author Topic: Burnout  (Read 9125 times)

tzukulika

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Burnout
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
Hello all
I think I'm having a severe case of burnout. In the last couple of months my desire and excitement to go to work and do my job have decrease significantly- to the point where I dread even driving to work.
Work can be exciting, but for some reason I cannot get even some basic tasks done. I have a list of (what I thought once)  of interesting things to do/learn, but to no avail. I'm in a somewhat senior position where I can choose on what I get to work and do and still, the burnout is the with me.
Changing jobs is out of the question, my field of expertise is small, and that will require moving. My plan is to hang out for another 2-3 years max (I think I'm FI already, but working towards "Hawaii money"). 

How did you guys get past that ?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Burnout
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
You should consider morning exercise,  converting to paleo eating style and have your testosterone levels checked.    Sounds like an aging problem to a degree.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
If you are FI, why not try out something entirely new?  Just something that will cover the basics, so you don't actually need to use your stash.  So my recommendation is new job in different field.  I had this burnout you describe in the past, and a new job solved the problem.  (Same field for me, but a change in setting really helped.)

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »

It is a decision.  You have to be as honest as you can with yourself.  You are trading your time and skills for money.  It doesn't have to be exciting, it doesn't have to be intrinsically valuable to you, it is not your life's work, it is just a job.  Everyday you wake up to get ready to go to work you have to decide if the money is worth it.  What are you going to do with that money that is more valuable to you that you have decided to give up X amount of hours of your life now to be able to do in the future?  If you get hit by a bus tomorrow, how are you going to feel on your death bed about trading your days for money to achieve you future goals?

This is something I have been having a hard time with lately.  I found something that I would like do instead of my current job.  So I was having a hard time finding motivation to get up and get my ass to work.  But my at my current situation, I still need a job, not necessarily this job but a job.  And this job is that best job that I can find right now.  I also do not have the necessary skills to do the other line of work and be able to earn enough to support my family.  So I get my ass up and do what I am told to do, without pretending that it is something I am interested in, or that I like my coworkers (I do but it's not a reason to be here).  I am doing it because at this point in time it is the best job I could get that is helping me achieve my future goals.

tzukulika

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
Bob Werner : Good suggestion. Until 3 years ago I was running marathons in fall. Now I sport a belly and my cholesterol levels are up high. Maybe I miss the runners high and the energy level associated with running. Good call on the aging problem - I'm 47.
Catccc : I'm OK/good in my field of work and my compensation is very good (electrical engineering). On one hand is hard to walk away  from this kind of money (at least to me). In the other hand I know very little about other type of jobs. I was/still dream about being like a handy-man associated with a construction crew to learn about the ins and outs of this. I'm planning to remodel our home and my rental in the future I thought this will be a way to reduce costs. Will see.
MXT0133 : I think you hit the nail on the head. I know it is a job. It had become a job couple of years back. I'm in the same place for 17 years, so I got a lot of excitement/enthusiasm/passion out of the ways already.  Conceptually I know I have to put my head down and plow through the day, it is just getting very hard. I have a 1303 days countdown and this is depressing me even more. Is February in Hawaii worth the aggravation ? Some days I think is not , but I think I have a duty to my family. I have two kids , 9 and 10. Ways to go.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
Bob Werner : Good suggestion. Until 3 years ago I was running marathons in fall. Now I sport a belly and my cholesterol levels are up high. Maybe I miss the runners high and the energy level associated with running. Good call on the aging problem - I'm 47.
Catccc : I'm OK/good in my field of work and my compensation is very good (electrical engineering). On one hand is hard to walk away  from this kind of money (at least to me). In the other hand I know very little about other type of jobs. I was/still dream about being like a handy-man associated with a construction crew to learn about the ins and outs of this. I'm planning to remodel our home and my rental in the future I thought this will be a way to reduce costs. Will see.
MXT0133 : I think you hit the nail on the head. I know it is a job. It had become a job couple of years back. I'm in the same place for 17 years, so I got a lot of excitement/enthusiasm/passion out of the ways already.  Conceptually I know I have to put my head down and plow through the day, it is just getting very hard. I have a 1303 days countdown and this is depressing me even more. Is February in Hawaii worth the aggravation ? Some days I think is not , but I think I have a duty to my family. I have two kids , 9 and 10. Ways to go.

Wouldn't worry about the cholesterol number.  You need it to generate testosterone.  The pot belly is a sure sign.  At 47 you could have a very low T number.  Here is a link that I think may help you ---

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/18/how-to-increase-testosterone-naturally/

It is a pretty straight forward method of double your T levels in 6 months.   No drugs or supplements required.

You can purchase a home mail in T kit at Walgreens to see your current level without involving anyone else. 

You should also consider HIT (High Intensity Training)  -  Since you were a runner you could do the HIT sprint training.   Just be very careful and start with moderation to seek modest gains over an extended period.  Distance runners are known for low T and it often isn't evident to the runner until they quit the activity. 

Many successful people attribute their success to exercise.  I think MMM even does so with his promotion of biking.

Good Luck my friend. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
i feel your pain. i did the whole t thing along with some thyroid med and i definitely feel better. getting out of bed became a lot easier but going to work not so much although i never really felt excited about going to work anyway. having something to look forward to outside of work is a big help. i've picked up a few hobbies like rowing and fly fishing. it helps get me through the frustrating days. good luck.

tzukulika

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
Will have to have a significant discussion with SO about RE. Meanwhile I'm learning how to deal with opposition on that front as well from the DD, Dr Doom and RJG threads. This is fascinating, to say the least.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Currently extremely burnt out.  Making a bunch of money but working way too much with far too little time away.  My health is deteriorating and just got news of family illness.  I've managed to get a week off to attend to family out of state and I fully intend, upon my return, to reduce my energy and total f***s given.  I've been an exemplary employee and have a specific and in demand skill-set that is not necessarily hard to replace but does take time and is relatively limited in the applicant field.  So I'm going to chill out and focus on health, happiness and [spending time with, caring for, and making!] family. 

tl;dr: burnout sucks; care less, focus on what matters.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
You should consider morning exercise,  converting to paleo eating style and have your testosterone levels checked.    Sounds like an aging problem to a degree.

+1

If you've been happy where you are for many years, look elsewhere for why you're feeling down.  All the lifestyle things in the quote are great, and make a huge difference for a lot of people.

Numbers Man

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
Hello all
I think I'm having a severe case of burnout. In the last couple of months my desire and excitement to go to work and do my job have decrease significantly- to the point where I dread even driving to work.
Work can be exciting, but for some reason I cannot get even some basic tasks done. I have a list of (what I thought once)  of interesting things to do/learn, but to no avail. I'm in a somewhat senior position where I can choose on what I get to work and do and still, the burnout is the with me.
Changing jobs is out of the question, my field of expertise is small, and that will require moving. My plan is to hang out for another 2-3 years max (I think I'm FI already, but working towards "Hawaii money"). 

Check out the movie "The Devil Wears Prada". That helped me a lot.

Canadian Nicole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
I'd suggest taking a bit of time off, even if it's only adding a couple of days to a weekend.   Remind yourself of what activities recharge you and make you feel centred and happy, and try to schedule them regularly.    Mix up your routine a little, go for lots of walks in nature, eat healthy and get enough sleep.  Good luck!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
If you are in a sr position and can somewhat direct your own work, it seems to me that more than time off is needed. 

There is a lot of advice here about mindset.  Perhaps mentor some youngins at your firm.  See if you can get energized by helping the careers of more junior people.  A handing off of the torch so to speak.

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
I'm there now and it started 5-6 years ago and has only gotten worse. FIRE is on the horizon and then who knows after that. I have nothing left to give a new job. I feel your pain. Maybe after I decompress for a year or two and figure out the next step.Good luck.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »
I so relate.  I've been seriously thinking about asking my boss about taking a sabbatical-- even a month would be good.  And I'm working for my 'dream' organization with all sorts of things going for me for my particular job.  I have nothing to complain about but I am exhausted.

So +1 to the earlier posted who suggested some time off.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »
I would start planning a vacation.  You don't necessarily have to go far, but get out of your routine and disconnect from work.  Disabling email on your phone is key. 

+1 for the diet and exercise as well though.  My motivation seems to be a direct result of my recent lifestyle habits.  It's just a different sort of energy when you consistently eat right (i.e absolutely nothing processed), that no amount of coffee can equal.  It may be better described as mental clarity. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »
It comes and goes for me.  Try seeing if there are any opportunites for optimizing your finances a bit more.  I always get a burst of energy when I can rework an expense and get a boost to the bottom line.  Shoot, you even might find enough to call it quits.  Have you done a case study?   

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »

+1.  At your next checkup, you may also have thyroid levels checked.  That little bugger can mess with motivation (among other things).

But realistically, what you describe may simply be burnout.  I'd prescribe trying something new!  Resigning yourself to years of the same thing can be very demoralizing for some people.

tzukulika

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
RobbyJ : If you've been happy where you are for many years, look elsewhere for why you're feeling down.  All the lifestyle things in the quote are great, and make a huge difference for a lot of people.

Another valid point. Some of the burnout comes definitely from a re-org in my division 16 months ago. I was somewhat pushed down and lost a sense of "well being" , "status" and etc , even, though , down in my heart, I don't really care for it that much. But in my company there is a dog eat dog, ranking and rating culture. So there is that. I lost the will to be a "top dog" and go balls to the walls. But I'm mentoring some guys 10 years younger ( and they had observed my burnout as well).

I'm planning a 2 weeks off vacation in December. That maybe will help.
Regarding exercising and eating well : Falling off the wagons. But this is somewhat a thing that *I* can control and take back.

Will take a look at the movie. My wife had watched it a while back , but I dismissed it as a "chick flick" and did not watch it. I went to the library and got "The joy of not working" by Zelinski.

These are short terms solutions. Maybe long term solution is to really do the RE. This will push me to do a case study. And have to get wifey on board. Another battle :-). Another reason of burnout might be that I floated RE to my SO a while back, and like many here, I did get a strong push back. Not having a time target for RE (another 10 years of this, as my wife has suggested is  NOT good!) definitely added to "what I'm I doing with my life?" conundrum.

Great feedback. Lurker in this forum for a while. Boglehead and LBYM ers convert for more then 15 years. Very good forum.
I thank you all.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »

+1

1) And I'm sorry to sound preachy, but watch your alcohol consumption. You already know this, but alcohol is a depressant. I'm on week 4 of a 30 day diet plan that calls for no booze, and my belly has largely vaporized. A trainer at my gym (facepunch - I don't care cuz a gym is less expensive than a divorce) has told me for months that anyone seeking to lose weight should KILL booze. And it could very well lift your mood.

2) Adding to a subsequent Bob response, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is awesome. And there are so many variants. TABATA Training is just one. Also, in the PALEO theme...I'd suggest looking at "Mark's Daily Apple" for an overall comprehensive fitness plan that makes so much f'ing sense.

3) I've recently started (AGAIN) meditating for 10 minutes every day. Not that I'm against new agey AT ALL, but it doesn't have to be...Pick up a classic book from Herbert Benson called "The Relaxation Response." Pick up "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle (sp?). Vacations are good and all, but then there is day to day livin', dude bro. Training the mind on some healthy detachment can only do good.