Poll

Which?

A
B
C
D

Author Topic: Bumpy lawn fix  (Read 2084 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Bumpy lawn fix
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
I have a bumpy lawn.  The problem is that the soil surface was (I think anyway) not rolled or fine graded; the original builder/owner/landscaper just put down seed or sod on top of a rough graded surface.  This has been the situation with this house for 12 years.  This bothers me.

There are several possible solutions:

A.  Remove the established lawn entirely, rototill, fine grade, re-plant/re-sod.  Optionally add soil amendments (sand/fertilizer/top dressing/etc).
B.  Mow the lawn super short, then lay down a top dressing of something (probably something with some sand it in so it has a better chance of being level/smooth).
C.  Mow the lawn short, then water a lot to get the soil moist, then roll it with one of those water-in-the-drum things.
D.  Other?

Advice?

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bumpy lawn fix
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Posting to follow. We have a similar issue and I'm curious what others may suggest. I don't notice it really but it drives my husband nuts and fixing it is on his to-do list.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Wait until the rainy season and have a professional roll it out.  They use a ride on steamroller looking thing... from my experience the water filled push ones are useless.  Alternatively you could rent one and roll it out yourself, but you would probably need to have a truck and trailer to transport it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:20:41 PM by v8rx7guy »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:34:08 AM »
I like the overdress idea. I would go with topsoil about 2" thick and then roll. You will want to see, but the old grass will grow up through it as well.