Author Topic: Bulk nuts?  (Read 6738 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Bulk nuts?
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
Where do people like to buy bulk nuts?  I'm in the states.  And I'm in a 550 sq. ft. apartment so by "in bulk" I mean like five pounds.

fiveoh

• Bristles
Re: Bulk nuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
Not quite 5lbs but I buy 1-2lbs a week of mixed nuts in the "bulk" section of our HEB grocery store.  Most grocery stores have one.  I'm not sure if you can get more of a discount anywhere else by buying 5lbs. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
Oh, sorry, yeah, I meant to ask about which websites people like to buy them from.  Or any New Yorkers can tell me if I'm overlooking a store.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
I buy multiple-pound bags of nuts at Costco. Raw almonds are about $3/lb. Not sure the price of the pistachios we usually buy.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Online I find Amazon or Nuts.com is the cheapest for me in most cases. Amazon more often but certain things like almond flour are cheaper from nuts.com. I do have prime from Amazon (I order enough to make it very cost effective) so my shipping is covered by prime (I won't say it is free since I am paying for it, just a flat fee for the year).

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
You could also try craigslist.  I know some people sell them on there if it's a small operation.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Oh, sorry, yeah, I meant to ask about which websites people like to buy them from.  Or any New Yorkers can tell me if I'm overlooking a store.

I buy most of my nuts and dry goods at Sahadi's http://www.yelp.com/biz/sahadis-brooklyn

They are much more reasonably priced than other places in walking distance and I find their foods better quality than Fairway.  It's a bit of a PiTA as they're only open on Saturdays, you always have to wait AGES to get your stuff (you take a number and someone goes around and gets the stuff for you) and they're actually quite a hike from where I live.

I'm in a similar sized space to you. I buy in 1LB or 2LB batches depending on what it is. It's also a cheap place for Harrissa and Indian pickles.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Online I find Amazon or Nuts.com is the cheapest for me in most cases. Amazon more often but certain things like almond flour are cheaper from nuts.com. I do have prime from Amazon (I order enough to make it very cost effective) so my shipping is covered by prime (I won't say it is free since I am paying for it, just a flat fee for the year).

I go through a ton of raw almonds, do you have a favorite brand on Amazon?  It's hard to judge the flavor and quality of nuts by photo.  :)

I get my nuts at Farm and Fleet right now, they are about $5 per pound for almonds.  We get other nuts as well, but we go through over a pound of almonds a week.  Wish we had a Costco close by, my brother shops there a lot so I should have him pick some up for me when I know I'll be seeing him.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
I use so much almond flour I typically don't get raw almonds. When I switched to a more paleo/keto like diet the hardest thing to give up was baked goods so I found almond flour allows me to take care of that. I usually get peanuts and cashews. I just did small orders of things that had good reviews and then stuck with what I liked/had a good price point.

I like these for peanuts - http://amzn.com/B002S5HJ1I
And these for cashews - http://amzn.com/B003KFTPNK

Prices do vary from time to time.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
I used to shop at Patel Bros. when I lived in Queens. I totally forgot that place. I'm going to try check it out this weekend. I remember that their spices were not great quality, but this was years ago.

Indian food was the first food I learned to cook and for years it was all I cooked. I was totally spoilt living in London, when I moved here ingredients were harder to get so I fell out of the habit.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I found a very good deal on bulk pecans on Amazon by getting pecan meal. It's about half as much per pound as the regular nuts and takes up less space too. I was going to use ground up nuts anyways for baking so this saved me a lot of work too!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Pecan-Chopped-30-Pound-Package/dp/B0043388XQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1358479149&sr=1-2&keywords=pecan+meal

I'm guessing you could save on other nuts by looking for the meal, if that's what you're ok with. 30 lbs is quite a bit, so make sure you have a good appetite, a bit of freezer or refrigerator space for long-term storage or a friend to take some of that off of you!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
Nice, thanks guys!  All good ideas.  I think I'll put those nyc ones on the itinerary for a nice recreational bike ride once the weather warms up.