Author Topic: Bulk dental floss  (Read 20250 times)

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
Bulk dental floss
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:59:32 PM »
Seems like the silliest thing, but surely you all will know: where can a giant roll of good-quality dental floss be purchased? Every place just has these tiny rolls and they are ridiculously expensive, I want to buy 300 yards of the stuff and not think about it again for a year.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
Re: Bulk dental floss
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
Alternatively, you could look for one sale on floss and stock up for the year/ decade all at once.

That is to say: I don't know where you can buy 300 yds of floss! But, I did just buy 300 yds of floss at CVS the other day for $3 (they were four separate boxes, though).

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Yeah there's some sort of cartel behavior going on with floss.

This is about the only place I've found. Never ordered. Let us know how it goes if you do.

http://oralgem.com/products/velvet

onFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
I just ask for some at the dentist.  Depending on how many people you have in the house, this might be enough for a year.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:25:20 AM »
Yeah, my dentist gives me a free toothbrush and dental floss every time we go in. I feel certain he would give me 2 or 3 things of dental floss if I asked, but DH & I each get 4 cleanings a year(crooked teeth :/ ) + a check up so 1 each time is plenty for us.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
You've got to wonder where the dentists get theirs--probably not in those itty bitty little quantities...any dentists or hygenists on the forum??

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
You've got to wonder where the dentists get theirs--probably not in those itty bitty little quantities...any dentists or hygenists on the forum??

Right? I've seen those spools they keep in the drawer, but I never thought to ask...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:29:48 AM by anastrophe »

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
I'm finding the best (200 yards under $5) here:  http://www.amazon.com/G-U-M-Butler-Butlerweave-Waxed-Dental/dp/B003VCYL8Q
Looks like you can find 200 yards easily.  Above that amount is a bit trickier.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
I bought a 250yd roll, Kroger brand, and that was a mistake. It was poor quality, fell apart, and left strands in my mouth. It was only a dollar so I threw it out.

A tip to use less floss: Take a piece only about 6-8" long and tie it in a loop (a figure 8 knot is good since an overhand knot probably won't hold). With this a 100 yard spool will last me more than a year.

rubor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »

This is about the only place I've found. Never ordered. Let us know how it goes if you do.

http://oralgem.com/products/velvet

Whoa, that site's floss requires you to purchase a $34.95 floss dispenser?! I like the 100 m floss roll, but that dispenser goes on anti-mustachian wall of shame. Bulk floss cartel gets you one way or another.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »
I just buy the bulk pack at Costco that has 6-9 little rolls of Glide.

I don't view dental floss as an expensive enough item to really worry about buying in bulk. 

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »
I asked at the dentist's and they sold me a 200m roll cheap with a $2 dispenser, plus threw in a few 100m samples free. I should be set for the rest of the year now.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
Seems like the silliest thing, but surely you all will know: where can a giant roll of good-quality dental floss be purchased? Every place just has these tiny rolls and they are ridiculously expensive, I want to buy 300 yards of the stuff and not think about it again for a year.
Eh? I get 100 yards at HEB for $1

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »

What's HEB?

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
You *could* buy 10KG+ at a time from China for $300+: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Nylon-Waxed-Rolled-Dental-Floss-Spool_1483024875.html

I wouldn't recommend it, however...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »

What's HEB?

HEB is a grocery store in TX.

My husband only uses POH, which is hard to find.  I bought a few years worth from Amazon.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

They get them for free (or ridiculously cheap) because OralB or whoever wants to promote their brand.

So I agree -- ask for a handful at the dentist office.

cavalofun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
https://www.safcodental.com/search/mfg-Oral-B?ref=

I'm a hygienist.  We order them from dental suppliers/reps. They don't come in long spools but we buy them in boxes like above.  I'll be honest though cleanings save you money on other oral issues and at our office we give the samples free per cleaning as some others have mentioned. 

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »

I'm a hygienist.  We order them from dental suppliers/reps. They don't come in long spools but we buy them in boxes like above.  I'll be honest though cleanings save you money on other oral issues and at our office we give the samples free per cleaning as some others have mentioned.

Oh yeah, I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, but I floss three times a day, them samples don't last long. But I think we're good at this point.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:14:49 AM »

Oh yeah, I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, but I floss three times a day, them samples don't last long. But I think we're good at this point.

I think that's too much.  <- not a dentist

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

I think that's too much.  <- not a dentist

My dentist thinks it's fine. I'm gentle about it. My gums are healthy, but I have a crown and several tight spots that get trouble if I don't take care, and I eat three times a day.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
I eat three times a day.

I think that's too much <- not a nutritionist

S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:23 AM »
Something to consider: I find this thread useful, but avoided bulk purchases myself since I've seen expiration dates on floss. <- Though I don't know how that would impact flossing abilities.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 11:17:53 AM »
I bought a 250yd roll, Kroger brand, and that was a mistake. It was poor quality, fell apart, and left strands in my mouth. It was only a dollar so I threw it out.

Yeah, I stick with a name brand when it comes to dental floss.  The CVS brand is cheap but useless.  I pick up 2-3 of the 100 yard Reach rolls from Target and that's good for a year or so.  I floss a lot as I have crowns.