Author Topic: Building a Mustachian Life in DC  (Read 22044 times)

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
Re: Building a Mustachian Life in DC
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
Welcome to DC!

I have lived in DC, Maryland and Virginia.

I currently live in the city and I love it!

I also don't have a car. I travel from Logan Circle to Friendship Heights via bus. My bus passes a location close to Foggy Bottom and Farragut West.

Here is the bus line: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/DC/30N30S.pdf

I would suggest looking at places close to Foggy Bottom, which will cost you. There is also a lot of development on Wisconsin Avenue near the Cathedral. There's a brand new Giant grocery store. You can probably find a good deal there with a roomie because it's a quieter area. Glover Park is also on the bus line above. Another good choice.

My best advice is to start by living in the city. It is just so convenient. Do you really want to spend your life commuting? If you don't like the city, then look to Arlington or Bethesda-- though Bethesda is not convenient to Foggy Bottom.

Best of luck and contact me through my blog if you would like any more advice. I don't check these forums all the time.

DCJrMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Geek, skater, pilot, stilter, techie, vegan
    • DC Power Stilts
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
So any update?  How are you liking things here?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!   

I'm totally OK with having roommates, but I don't want to share a bedroom.  I was surprised at the number of Craiglist adverts that were for shared rooms.  I don't need anything in the way of amenities - small and old is fine for me.

I especially appreciate advice on areas outside of the District to look at.  I had heard of Arlington and realized that it was close, but it would never have occurred to me to look at Bethesda as a viable option.  I think I'll be spending much of my time the first month exploring the areas around various metro stops.

Look into Adams Morgan and/or Columbia Heights. In DC, there's always a chance of getting mugged so you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. In these areas, many homes have basement apartments with the home's owner living upstairs.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
One question I DO have for fellow DC mustaches, outside of the museums, what Mustachian things are there to do in winter in the DC area?  We are still fairly new to the area, and work so dang much, that we haven't had a lot of time to explore.

It can be quite mild in winter in DC so that leaves open the possibility of outdoor activities:

Hike at Great Falls
Hike/bike C&O canal near Georgetown
Have a drink or tea at the Tabard Inn in Dupont while enjoying their lounge and fireplace. (To keep it cheap, just have tea and don't go into the restaurant to have dinner.)
Frederick Douglass house
Aquatic Gardens (requires car)
Kreeger Museum (costs $$ but is so worth it)
National Xmas Tree
Washington Monument (free)
Lincoln Memorial at night (romantic!)
National Arboretum near NY Avenue (best to reach by car)
Mount Vernon (costs $$ to enter but they sometimes offer a free day in January)
Nature Centers--many around in the suburbs

MilitaryMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
In the mid-late 2000s I lived in a group house in close-in Bethesda.  My room was about $500 a month.  Walking distance to metro, and "stumble" distance to the bars :) 

I liked it in Bethesda, but I agree with everyone.  You should try to be in DC, if possible.  Bethesda is more oriented to families/kids, etc.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Quck update:  I am finally here!  I'm in corporate housing for the moment and am in the process of exploring some of the neighborhoods around here and deciding where I'd like to live.  It looks like I won't need somewhere until April - so I have a good amount of time to figure out what I want.

So far I really like DC!  I'm grateful to all of you have taken the time to answer my questions and provide your insights and suggestions. 

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:46 PM »
Thanks to everyone here for the great ideas on places to look in DC. 

Was lucky enough to get some extra time in corporate housing and then a house-sitting gig.  Gave me plenty of time to find the perfect place.  One bedroom in a group house in Arlington.   ~8 minute walk to Crystal City metro.  Short commute to my office.   Stumbling distance to bars/restaurants/etc.  $500/month + split utilities.   Yes there are some compromises -- older house with older fixtures, but all in all I'm thrilled with what I'm getting and with how much it will allow me to save towards other goals.

Janie

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:22 PM »
Nice!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
Wow that's cheap.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone here for the great ideas on places to look in DC. 

Was lucky enough to get some extra time in corporate housing and then a house-sitting gig.  Gave me plenty of time to find the perfect place.  One bedroom in a group house in Arlington.   ~8 minute walk to Crystal City metro.  Short commute to my office.   Stumbling distance to bars/restaurants/etc.  $500/month + split utilities.   Yes there are some compromises -- older house with older fixtures, but all in all I'm thrilled with what I'm getting and with how much it will allow me to save towards other goals.
Wow that is cheap! Not too much more than I was paying in the 90s. And I worked in crystal city. That was my hood. 😁