Author Topic: Building a functional web page?  (Read 2259 times)

Ceichanski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Building a functional web page?
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
How is everyone doing?

My mother sells items online and has been doing this with great success since late 90's. Some of her sites are through blogger with Amazon and many other affiliates.

With my wife still recovering from last years auto accident, I am unable work till she is able to care for our children full time alone. Her seizures are under control for the most part, but her back (spinal fusion) still has another 12-18 months with limited mobility. Along with another knee surgery later this month, which is on the same day my college classes resume - great timing, huh? Not that she has control over this decision.

Anyways, my mother talked me into building websites for another source of income, rather than chewing through the remainder of our emergency fund. Having a lot of fun learning something new, and enjoyed feeling accomplished. Which is something that has been missing since leaving the work force. However, blogger is not the greatest way to host a website. While she has had great success with this setup for the last couple years, she does have some professionally built sites that have pulled in bank.

Okay, her sites have been established for years, however she is confident a solid foundation can be built for success. Although she did admit these sites will either quickly build with steady growth, or take 6-12 months. Honestly this is okay, because anything is better than nothing.

Has anyone built webpages? Really want mine to look professional, clean, and organized. Would love to learn how to do this myself without having to hire anyone.

What would you suggest? Does anyone know a good step by step guide that is free? Used to work marketing and build set displays years ago, the company would have a step by step plan-o-gram with well laid out instructions and pictures.

King Stilts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Building a functional web page?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »
Depends on the scope of the website you want to build, and the level of customization you need from the ground up.

You need a blog?  You need user authorization and authentication, site security, hashing and storing passwords and usernames in databases, and general data relationships between authors, posts, comments, likes, etc... 

If this is already making your eyes glaze over, good website development isn't something you're going to learn overnight and you might as well buy a very affordable Wordpress site with a nice theme where you can utilize blog and e-commerce plugins to painlessly achieve a professional landing page without an $800 invoice from a developer.

If you decide that is what you want, though, there are plenty of us on this site and many of us will want to talk to you, even if building that Wordpress site is out of your comfort zone.

Ceichanski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Just started a wordpress site as a test mule to learn on.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:43:59 AM »
There's an underserved market in helping people setup sites from pre-built templates imo.  Should it be necessary? No, but why is the apple genius bar always packed?  If you learn to effectively work with templates and can sell yourself (the most important part), you'll make money.

Ceichanski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
Spent the entire day reading about building a website. Biggest issue is finding a good affiliate that will allow me to build my site and link items into without redirect to their site. Would like to have my own shopping cart and essentially use the affiliate as a drop shipper. I know this can be done since my mother did this several times over the years. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!