Author Topic: Bug out bag?  (Read 7977 times)

pedostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bug out bag?
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
After the pretty crazy weather that's been hitting the North East I've decided that I need to start assembling a "bug out bag".   After doing some searching it seems pretty clear that it's very easy to go overboard on spend a ton on something that I quite possibly never need. 

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on how to do this as cheaply and long lasting as possible?  I'll probably leave it in the trunk of my car so it'll double as a go bag/ car survival bag.

keepingmobens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bug out bag?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »
I have put together one for myself and one for my wife. The hardest part is keeping the weight down. You would be amazed how heavy it starts to get once you get everything you think you might need. I did an excel spreadsheet, which tracks the cost and weight (down to the gram, since I am obsessive) of everything in the bag. Most of the small items are just a buck or two and not a big deal (lighter, baby wipes, pocket knife, extra clothes, etc, etc) but I do have some expensive items in there such as a portable solar setup from goal zero (to charge phone, ipad, etc)  and a handgun. If I remember right, the total cost came out to around $1200, but without the two previously mentioned items, it would have been barely half that. You also want to make sure you get a good comfortable pack, you might have to wear it for many miles or days in an emergency. After you get it together, take it on some day hikes to test it out. I was able to get mine down to about 26 pounds, but even that feels heavy after a couple hours.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Good idea on many levels!  Having an extra set of clothes, a blanket, some canned goods, flashlight and extra bat's.  Have $100 in small bills too.  Sounds like a lot but if you need gas or a hotel room and the credit card isn't working, you'll be happy with that amount!  Does any other Mustachian worry about the grid going down?

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
Ipad!!  In times of trouble leave the F'en Ipad and run like hell!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
http://theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

That site is very useful for learning about the things and ways of thinking that are ACTUALLY important if you have to leave home in a hurry. 

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
I've been meaning to do this for awhile, I should start slowly assembling the stuff I need.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Ipad!!  In times of trouble leave the F'en Ipad and run like hell!

When I was in Haiti after the earthquake it was only people with smart phones that had internet through the cell system and could communicate.  It was almost impossible to place a call, but you could send text messages and email, though slowly. Communication is highly important, and a cell equipped ipad or smart phone can be pretty valuable if that's the only communication open to you.  Also good for finding out what is going on and where to go, otherwise you could be running like hell right into the worst of things!  :)

I don't have a bug out bag, but I could make one in about 15 minutes if needed, which is fast enough for me.  Living in the country I don't feel as concerned as I might be in a big city. (whether that is justified or not I don't know)

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
If you back pack or bike tour, you already have all the things you need for a bug out bag - extra cost?  Zero.  Load pack as you would for backpacking and you're set.  You'll have shelter, clothing suitable for any weather to subfreezing, a means of cooking, water treatment and a sleeping system to keep you warm to subfreezing temperatures and a comfortable means to carry these items, plus many days worth of expendables like food and fuel (assume raw water for treatment can be had for any suitable source such as creeks, lakes, etc).

Note that sleeping bags should not be stored in a compressed state.  It'll take you only a few seconds / minutes to assemble a pack if you have all the back packing items stored in an organized manner, are a reasonably experienced backpacker and you keep a checklist of what to bring.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
I don't have a bug out bag, but I could make one in about 15 minutes if needed, which is fast enough for me.  Living in the country I don't feel as concerned as I might be in a big city. (whether that is justified or not I don't know)

Yeah.  I've had to bug out on about that much notice (major brush fire).  Dogs in car, grabbed wallet and laptop, and spent the rest of the time checking on neighbors.  Of course I had friends that I could crash with, so once I was out of the affected area it wasn't by any means a survival situation.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »
    I don't follow the bug out philosophy but I make sure to have certain things with me when I hike and camp.

Creating a good bug out bag greatly depends on where you are and what you're expecting to deal with.

IMO, you should start with the 5 C's of survival and then add whatever might be necessary.

• Combustion - have back ups (lighter, ferro rods, fresnel lens, fire piston, etc) maybe some dry tinder as well
    • Cover - whatever you can shoulder (tent, tarp, wool blanket, etc)
    • Cordage - something like bank line or paracord
    • Cutting Tool - should be large enough to process wood for fires
    • Container - should be metal so you can cook and boil water in it

Given those things and the proper knowledge, you should be able to stay warm, hydrated, fed, sheltered, and create basic tools as needed at a minimal weight expense.

The only other things that might make the necessity list IMO, are field guides for wild edibles/medicinals and basic first aid kits.

The most important thing would be to actually practice skills you would need to properly bug out. Try lighting fires when there's no pressure on you, make snare sets, create impromptu shelters. Anything you can learn now will pay dividends should you actually need to use it later.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
I keep a box in the truck that has all my "ohsh!t" supplies.  Of the top of my head, it contains a tarp, knife, tent, couple ways to make a fire, MREs and shelf stable food (trail mix), fishing gear, water purification stuff, first aid kit, a box each of shotshells and .22, and probably some other stuff I am spazzing.  There is also a water container in the truck bed with a gallon or so in it at all times.  I'd like to leave an inexpensive firearm in the truck, but would be worred about the risk of theft and other problems.  My hunting/hiking pack (which lives in the house when not in use) has similar stuff in it.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
There are a lot of good suggestions here.  I'd only add a poncho.  They're cheap and can go over your pack so all that good stuff you brought stays dry.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »
I think it really depending also on what you imagine you're going to be bugging out from exactly.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:21 PM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!