Author Topic: Budgeting how-to: suggestions?  (Read 1288 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Budgeting how-to: suggestions?
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
Hi all,

My husband and I used to (... ages ago) use the desktop version of YNAB, and it worked really well for us for the following reasons:
- Shared accountability - if it's hardcopy (paper) or excel-based, I'm the only one who handles it. Not great for myh nerves.
- Focus on detailed monthly spending (for this, I don't care about overall net worth, car value, whatever. I care about knowing how much we've agreed on spending on, say, clothing and groceries, and having all adults know how much is left in those categories prior to making spending decisions. It's a marriage-handler more than a money-handler. ;))
- Ease of categorizing transactions (I loathe Mint's interface for this)

However: it's not cheap. Mint, Excel, and paper don't suit our needs.

Does anyone have a cheaper or better solution, or shall I go with something I know aligns with our use?

(For the record: we save several hundred more, monthly, when we track vs when we don't. So I don't mind paying a fee if it's necessary to get something that works easily, since we save a lot more with that than not.)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Budgeting how-to: suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
Could you get the old version of YNAB from someone? That sounds like it would be your best bet.

Or could you make a shared spreadsheet in the cloud?