Author Topic: Brother's GF Just Facebook-Ranted About Food-Stamps...Need Help  (Read 49446 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Brother's GF Just Facebook-Ranted About Food-Stamps...Need Help
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »
Here is my plan:

I've read every post in this thread--thank you again. The posters in the "leave them be" corner have a lot of good arguments and perhaps logic on their side. But I really can't live with myself knowing my brother is working 23 hours in a day just to afford all this. I also know it's stressing the hell out of my mom. So I'm going to give this one last shot...

(1) Text older brother. "I saw SIL's post about struggling to afford food. Do you guys need help?"

(2) Transition this conversation to a "let's talk."

(3) Before said talk, have a conversation with mom--make her realize she is enabling them. I'm going to print out this entire thread and make sure she reads this. We talk about my brother all the time so this won't be too out of left field for us.

(4) Have a talk with older brother this weekend (his birthday is the 29th). Acknowledge his frustration.

(5) Have a detailed breakdown prepared (he is a handyman, loves instructions, so I'm thinking of crafting this as a "manual" kind of thing).

(6) In said manual, challenge them to do one thing every two weeks to get out of this. Cancel cable. No random expenses in August. Call and reduce insurance. Sell motorcycles. Etc.

(7) Let them know this will be my last effort. Period. And stick to this. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:28:21 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
Realize, too, that either your brother or his wife might actually be really embarrassed about it all and truly NOT like taking money from others OR like having food stamps.  If they truly don't mind, be prepared for this effort you're making not work out.  I'm not sure how many conversations you've had with them about it, but this one would have to be different than the other conversations.

If both of them feel entitled, or are buying things to make themselves feel better for having money problems, your plan will end up being so YOU can sleep at night because you know you tried, and very likely won't help them.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
Here is my plan:

I've read every post in this thread--thank you again. The posters in the "leave them be" corner have a lot of good arguments and perhaps logic on their side. But I really can't live with myself knowing my brother is working 23 hours in a day just to afford all this. I also know it's stressing the hell out of my mom. So I'm going to give this one last shot...

(1) Text older brother. "I saw SIL's post about struggling to afford food. Do you guys need help?"

(3) Before said talk, have a conversation with mom--make her realize she is enabling them. I'm going to print out this entire thread and make sure she reads this. We talk about my brother all the time so this won't be too out of left field for us.

(4) Have a talk with older brother this weekend (his birthday is the 29th). Acknowledge his frustration.

(5) Have a detailed breakdown prepared (he is a handyman, loves instructions, so I'm thinking of crafting this as a "manual" kind of thing).

(6) In said manual, challenge them to do one thing every two weeks to get out of this. Cancel cable. No random expenses in August. Call and reduce insurance. Sell motorcycles. Etc.

(7) Let them know this will be my last effort. Period. And stick to this.

Best of luck. I truly hope you can get through to them. Keep us posted.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
Realize, too, that either your brother or his wife might actually be really embarrassed about it all and truly NOT like taking money from others OR like having food stamps.  If they truly don't mind, be prepared for this effort you're making not work out.  I'm not sure how many conversations you've had with them about it, but this one would have to be different than the other conversations.

If both of them feel entitled, or are buying things to make themselves feel better for having money problems, your plan will end up being so YOU can sleep at night because you know you tried, and very likely won't help them.
They aren't on food stamps. They have a bunch of toys and "can't afford food," and SIL recently complained about people on food stamps.

Otherwise, very valid point. I can't make this too much about me saying I tried and instead need to try and work out a solution for them.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
I am more worried about your Mom than the people of your generation.

Keep reassuring your Mom. Listen to what she says patiently so she can express her concerns to you but be very firm that she needs to save as much as she can for her own retirement and not enable these two. Tell her the truth: that they will never ever learn to manage their money if she ever gives them any. No matter how pathetic their story, she needs to tell them "I'm proud of you and I know you are smart, and so I'm sure you will figure it out." That's what she should say whenever they say they can't pay a bill, have no food, or need money for this or that.

Really I have absolutely no sympathy for you SIL. What an imbecile. I would be totally shamed and embarrassed to have what she has and asking for money from anyone for food. And then she turns around and blast people who are so poor and in such dire straits that they need food stamps, like somehow it's their fault that she is a whiny, entitled moron.

Some people are not really into reading, and for them Dave Ramsey's books won't help. But, he's made lots of youtube videos and has a radio show and lots of podcasts with case studies on people calling in. Those might be helpful here. He's not for everyone, but I think his model could help these two.

I agree, worry about your mother and others who can't say no, not about your sister. If they don't hit rock bottom they won't get better, and not being able to pay for some of their fixed costs is a win win. They lose the item and they lose the monthly expense.

I would immediately unfriend your SIL on Facebook, and next time she texts for money let her know you are only willing to help if they get rid of some of the fixed expenses, you aren't going to pay for their expensive toys. And then if that continues ask her to stop directly. They already know you are willing to help, they can come to you if they need actual help and not bail outs.

Protect yourself, and that might mean not seeing or being around them for a while. Your relationship can tolerate distance and some separation, but I doubt it can tolerate the current dynamic.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
I hope you'll keep us updated!  I'm curious to know how this works out, as I fear I may be facing a similar situation in the not-too-distant future with future in-laws...

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
If you feel comfortable eating chicken at that price, more power to you.

But that's the price it is sold at.  Am I supposed to offer the store more?

I have never seen chicken at the prices you quote for "bottom of the barrel".

hah! where do you live? Store brand (sketchy looking, with lots of sinew and gunk) fresh chicken breast is maybe $2-3/lb. The basic purdue stuff is $4-6. And the "hand crafted" cruelty/antibiotic free, veggie fed kind my wife prefer to buy now that we have a baby is $8-12/lb!

But hey, still cheaper than almost any restaurant!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:34:56 AM by Scandium »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Bookmarking. I have a similar relative who's a toxic mess of terrible financial decisions. Naturally, he blames the President.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
If you feel comfortable eating chicken at that price, more power to you.

But that's the price it is sold at.  Am I supposed to offer the store more?

I have never seen chicken at the prices you quote for "bottom of the barrel".

hah! where do you live? Store brand (sketchy looking, with lots of sinew and gunk) fresh chicken breast is maybe $2-3/lb. The basic purdue stuff is $4-6. And the "hand crafted" cruelty/antibiotic free, veggie fed kind my wife prefer to buy now that we have a baby is $8-12/lb!

But hey, still cheaper than almost any restaurant!

1. Do not buy chicken breasts. They are by far the most expensive way to eat chicken. If you want an easy prep alternative, try for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

2. If you're on the East Coast, see if you have a BJ's Wholesale local. We buy their Harvestland brand (antibiotic free) boneless, skinless thighs for $2.69/lb and they come already pre shrinkwrapped in individual meal portions. I just throw them straight into the freezer.

Interesting. I'll have to look for other chicken options next time. Don't remember seeing boneless thighs in our store. Got the on-the-bone stuff once, and not only was the meat crappy it took me forever to clean it up. So dropped that idea. I know that no chickens have hormones (it's illegal) and don't believe in the organic nonsense, but hard to dissuade the wife.

There's a BJs and a costco ~10 min from us. Walked through once but didn't seem like we could buy much of the stuff we prefer there, and not sure the savings would be worth the $50. And would another store to visit when we already struggle to hit one per week. We only eat bird or fish meat, and not a lot of it really, so not my highest priority.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »

hah! where do you live?

Iowa. It's in the username.
(I live in the highest cost of living area of Iowa though. Boo to that.)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »

hah! where do you live?

Iowa. It's in the username.
(I live in the highest cost of living area of Iowa though. Boo to that.)

ah ok. To be fair you could just from Iowa, and live in Mogadishu or whatever.

We live in one of the most expensive counties in the country (in MD), so there's that.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
I can't make this too much about me saying I tried and instead need to try and work out a solution for them.

And there was my point... prepare yourself for your plan NOT working.  It will depend on their reasons for their actions.  If they don't want it, you cant make them want it.

You *seem* to not want to prepare yourself for the worst here, that's why I'm suggesting this mental preparation... plan B, if it never stops, if your plan is not successful, then what??  Keep trying, over and over and over?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:57:17 AM by DeltaBond »

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
Do not buy chicken breasts. They are by far the most expensive way to eat chicken. If you want an easy prep alternative, try for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

That's going to be regional.  Where I live (upstate NY) I can routinely get boneless, skinless breasts for $1.99/lb and boneless skinless thighs are somewhat more.  I like BJs for some things, but their meat can't touch the loss leaders from the major grocery chains.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
More on chicken - I always think the "vegetarian chicken" advertising is hilarious. Free range chickens will eat every bug, worm or grub they can find. Both they and the environment are better for this.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Here is my plan:

[snip]

Good plan, but I caution against asking "do you guys need help?" as I guarantee that will be taken as "do you want free money?"  And then they might get mad when it turns out you are not showering them with money from the money tree.  Maybe instead try "Do you want to talk?"

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
Do not buy chicken breasts. They are by far the most expensive way to eat chicken. If you want an easy prep alternative, try for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

That's going to be regional.  Where I live (upstate NY) I can routinely get boneless, skinless breasts for $1.99/lb and boneless skinless thighs are somewhat more.  I like BJs for some things, but their meat can't touch the loss leaders from the major grocery chains.
+1

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
Bookmarking. I have a similar relative who's a toxic mess of terrible financial decisions. Naturally, he blames the President.

LOL...Thanks, Obama!

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
Here is my plan:

[snip]

Good plan, but I caution against asking "do you guys need help?" as I guarantee that will be taken as "do you want free money?"  And then they might get mad when it turns out you are not showering them with money from the money tree.  Maybe instead try "Do you want to talk?"

His very plan shows that he is not ready to fully solve this problem yet.  Its a really hard one to face, especially when you want to be the hero and show everyone how to be fiscally responsible, but dealing with money issues is very diferent than dealing with emotional issues, which is what this is.  He'll figure it out, eventually.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
Here is my plan:

[snip]

I agree. Step #1 looks like a direct invitation to ask for a bailout. Instead of "Do you guys need help?" I think "What's happening to your money?" would be the better question. Use a nonjudgmental tone, but the discussion needs to be framed in a way that assumes that they are in the lead of fixing this.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
I have friends and family members that constantly throw money away, then complain about lack of funds. I used to try to help, and eventually realized they didn't want that. Now I say, "Oh man, yeah, that sucks!" Or, "Ah, cripey." Or, "I understand: You really, really wish the province would give you a bus pass without having to do paperwork first." And that's all. It ends the conversation in a peaceful way. They know I can do stuff, they know I'm willing to help when they ask directly for that (same as I teach my kid to do). I don't offer help upon a whine, rant, etc. I reflect back, or murmur compassion. They feel better in the moment, which is all they wanted. If they ever ask me for help, I will give that. But even then, my first question is, "What are you willing to do?" They screen themselves out of most options; it's best for me, though, to know that before I invest a lot of time and effort.

Never do more for a client [friend, family member] than the client [friend, family member] is doing for himself.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »

Never do more for a client [friend, family member] than the client [friend, family member] is doing for himself.

Oooh, that's a good one!

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
Try "Well, that sounds like a problem.  What are you going to do to fix this?"

village idiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »
A good rule I heard from an old manager is "Every two years- up or out." Next year one of them finds a new promotion, the next year the other one, etc. If they can. $42,000 is a tall order for two adults.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
She's not kidding when she says she could only afford a can of soup. Her parents have (from what I understand) cut her off, as have mine (for the most part). My mom still gives them money every once in a while to keep them afloat.

Im sorry.... right here is the problem!!

My mother in law is the same although not to the same extent since she actually has a nice living... but she always is complaining about not having money yet she seems to like to just throw money away.

Can of soup? The ohter day her daughter was sick and she had me go to the supermarket buy a can of soup of something to her daughter... the cost of that? 4 dollars!!! Yes its low at first sight but it was a can of soup good for ONE SERVING!!

I on the other hand, when I make soup i just buy carrots for example, add water, potatos and salt... it costs me 1 dollar probably to make 2 gallons of soup or so!!

400 dollars seems rather high for 2 people! My wife and I we spend about 200 per month and we actually buy luxury items. Me being portuguese I like prosciutto, and chorizo and sea food and lots of fish so we are constantly buying prosciutto and salmon and other types of fish and sea food which is not cheap when you are living in a state that is landlocked! The difference is, we rarely buy pre-made food or pre packaged.

Also having a new car... are you kidding me? why would anyone spend 600 dollars a month in cars when apparently they cant afford it? buy used! let other people be the suckers to pay the depreciation!

ME personally, I see a car as going from point A to point B i dont care if its flashy... the only car i would ever buy for myself, would be an Aston Martin DB9. And only if I had a few dozen million probably, where i could justify spending 200k in a car. Other than that I have no interest...

Live sparingly, invest and harvest the fruits a few years later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:15:33 AM by MrSal »

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
Careful when telling people to stop doing crossfit. "You'll get the whole it's for my health and I don't care what the cost is I'm paying for it" shpeal. You might infuriate them and not be able to talk about other areas.

The logic is so flawed on this. They say its a healthier form of lifting, but they use the worst form possible on the majority of the lifts. Its a clever idea. Make people feel like they are doing a real sport, make it trendy, sell reebok. Sponsor $100/month gyms to sell more reebok.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
Being the smart-a$$ that I am, and if it were my brother/GF texting me for food/money, I'd be replying,

"You want to EAT or ride that HARLEY????    It's ALL ABOUT CHOICES, DUDE!" 

Seriously, tell them it's all about the choices they make.  They are choosing to have both a car and a Harley, and choosing not to eat. 

And then "actions have consequences......."  You buy things you can't afford, you run low or out of money.  Just a fact! 

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
Old Update Here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/update-brother's-gf-just-facebook-ranted-about-food-stamps-need-help/msg748965/#msg748965

New Update:

My brother and his GF have actually been doing better. They moved into a cheaper apartment, got rid of GF's car (which was $528/month), got rid of one of the motorcycles,

And now...drumroll...brother's GF is pregnant. My family is blindly happy about the whole thing and all I can think about is how they are going to afford this. Then I feel guilty about even having this feeling.

Ugh. Any more advice and suggestions?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
So what's their financial situation now?  If they were $300/mo in the hole before, and they cut over $500/mo in expenses (just on the car--how much are they saving per month by moving to a cheaper place?), then they might well be living within their means.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2016, 08:00:47 AM »
Old Update Here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/update-brother's-gf-just-facebook-ranted-about-food-stamps-need-help/msg748965/#msg748965

New Update:

My brother and his GF have actually been doing better. They moved into a cheaper apartment, got rid of GF's car (which was $528/month), got rid of one of the motorcycles,

And now...drumroll...brother's GF is pregnant. My family is blindly happy about the whole thing and all I can think about is how they are going to afford this. Then I feel guilty about even having this feeling.

OMG, I'd start a kid fund, that poor kid.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »
So what's their financial situation now?  If they were $300/mo in the hole before, and they cut over $500/mo in expenses (just on the car--how much are they saving per month by moving to a cheaper place?), then they might well be living within their means.

It's a little better. They cut the above bills and have a $1,500 emergency fund. But I forgot to add that her wages are being garnished ($250/per pay) from a debt from 2012 and that won't stop until mid-summer.

I'm just so conflicted right now.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:39 AM »

New Update:

I would have the same sinking feeling re: timing of adding a baby to the scaenario. Can you fill in a few more details - like how the talk went, how they implemented the changes, how they are doing now - to get an idea if there has really been any shift in attitude, or if this is a short term change.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

It's a little better. They cut the above bills and have a $1,500 emergency fund. But I forgot to add that her wages are being garnished ($250/per pay) from a debt from 2012 and that won't stop until mid-summer.

I'm just so conflicted right now.
This is just my opinion from a limited viewpoint, but making changes like getting rid of the car and moving to a cheaper place are not small steps.  To make changes like that, people typically need to be highly motivated, either through self-discipline or desperation. :)  The introduction of pregnancy certainly will put a strain on their finances, but it sounds like they've already made some positive changes.  Have you spoken much to them lately, to congratulate them on their progress and gauge how they feel about the changes they've made?

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
At least now they can sell the motorcycle right?! And.... you're experienced in navigating REPAYE for those 90k in GF student loans that will never get paid as I'm sure she will HAVE to be a SAHM.

Sometimes I wish I was this oblivious to life and could do whatever I want without having anxiety non-stop about the potential consequences (with or without them actually occurring)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »
Sometimes I wish I was this oblivious to life and could do whatever I want without having anxiety non-stop about the potential consequences (with or without them actually occurring)

I could have written this.  My sister makes the worst decisions ever at the highest possible speed, but does not seem to ever worry about them.  I make painstakingly agonized ones 19589 times and check on their progress compulsively and wake up at 3 AM worrying about them.  I'm sort of jealous of her.  Like, great, I have a pretty good financial set up, but I'd really rather than just be carefree, some days.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »

Warning:  the caps lock key is about to be hit.

THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO FUCKING FEED THEMSELVES AND THEY'RE HAVING A KID?!?!?!?!?!  AND PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY FUCKING HAPPY ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?!?! 

These people, like most, are too fucking stupid to be saved.  And reserve a massive facepunch for the first person on Facebook or wherever who says either "God will provide" or "babies are blessings."  Make sure blood is shed.  Wait until the kid is born and they start begging for formula and diapers, because it WILL happen. 

Situations like this--and I've seen them far too often--make me see red.  I did a lot of stupid shit when I was younger but I never birthed a hostage to fortune, which is what this kid is going to be and who is the only person in this situation for whom I have any sympathy.

/rant

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
That’s too bad – unfortunately there isn’t much you can do except also act happy and possibly offer some supportive advice. The baby is here to stay. Your family members who are acting blindly happy may also be worried, but they know they really can’t say or do much to change the situation – so they might as well just act happy and avoid a conflict.  You see this a lot with teen pregnancies – people throw a shower and act all excited for the baby's arrival, when in reality all of the responsible adults are flipping out and very worried.  Any negative comments risk pissing off the immature parties to the point where they start cutting out responsible adults from their lives, which further hurts the child’s chances in life. Grandparents are often in a really tight spot - they have to balance their worry/disappointment with the knowledge that this child probably won't be able to rely on the parents alone.
I guess you could say something like “hey – with the baby coming, let me know if you want any help with budgeting or planning, because I know babies can be a strain on the finances.” If they don’t take you up on it, you might just have to grin and bear it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:37:53 AM by little_brown_dog »

lpb0306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
Yikes. They make more than my husband and I do, and our rent is double theirs for a one bedroom place..we live in the San Francisco Bay Area! We save over $1000 a month of our $3300 net income a month. I hope they figure out other ways to cut their expenses, with a kid coming that is just insanity! Glad they got rid of one of the cars and motorcycles at least.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
I have family in Youngstown - it is one of the cheapest places to live in the US, so their budget (lack thereof) is obviously a huge problem.  I'd like to know how they are spending $400 on food - even restaurants are dirt cheap there.  Also, if the GF is at YSU the tuition is also dirt cheap. 

Honestly, the best way to learn how to budget is to go through hard times.  I've been there, done that, and can honestly say I was quickly educated about budgeting, my life priorities, and responsibility and lost the entitlement attitude of my foolish youth.  It's a growing experience I think everyone would benefit from so although it's hard to watch, let them go down that road.  I second the suggestions above about introducing them to some basic budget books and websites but they might just ignore it.  You can lead a horse to water...

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Kudos to your brother and his gf for the changes they have made.

Based on my experience, I predict your mother will be even more likely to want to "help" if they ask so that her grandbaby is taken care of.  At this stage, it is even more imperative that you and mom and your other brother sit down and discuss the future - how much support with any/all of you provide if asked, what's the cutoff, etc. 

I also recommend setting up a 529 plan for your future niece/nephew and directing money there instead of into presents for Christmas and birthdays. 

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
This sounds just like my brother in laws family and funny enough they own harleys as well. Certainly, being in ohio also, what they make is very good (to me anyways). 5 years ago when my husband and I married we brought in $24000 combined! We lived fine, owned a home, had a loan on 1 car, small medical bill debt and lived very well. We are fortunate to have never been paycheck to paycheck nor behind on bills. Where they live, $60k is above average income. With no kids, they should be in a better spot then they are, if what she says is true (scraping together money for canned dinner). My BIL family makes a good income and is always behind and have borrowed money. Its very hard to approach family about this. Maybe ask about how things are, to get conversation going then mention doing a budget or cutting obvious costs like cable, cell phone which is very high and groceries for 2 is high. Also, the car loans find out interest payment and how long is left. Im not sure if theyll tell you or be open but it needs to be dealt with.

I hope mom is not loaning them more money! No wonder they continue to spend..

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
They made the adult decision to have a baby.  I wouldn't give them a dime. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »
You can feed them or you can teach them to fish. Buy them a copy of this book (used, of course) and then BUTT OUT! Stop reading her FB page. When they get hungry enough, they will figure it out!

http://www.powells.com/book/complete-tightwad-gazette-9780375752254

Bonus points if you recognize the first reviewer.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
You can feed them or you can teach them to fish. Buy them a copy of this book (used, of course) and then BUTT OUT! Stop reading her FB page. When they get hungry enough, they will figure it out!

relation to
Thomas Stanley?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
I would stop reading her facebook page also and talk to your Mom about not helping. If they were able to make the big changes they did they are capable of making more to be able to support a baby.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2016, 05:00:56 AM »
They've made big changes!  They've hit 2 out of the big 3 (housing, transportation, and food).  Ok, so they still need work on the transportation, like selling the harleys, but I'd say its a great step forward.  Please update on how the convo actually went, how receptive they were.  I second the above advice to get them a copy of Dave Ramsey.  Super accessible.  And, I think a print-out of their current budget and then another without the Harley's, where they can compare the bottom line side-to-side would be eye-opening.  Seeing it would be more effective than just hearing it. 

And I second the poster who said that kids make things better.  At least in my case.  It forces you to prioritize.  And realize you're an adult who shouldn't be asking for money or formula or diapers.  or food. 

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
Thanks all for the advice thus far. The "disengage" advice is easy practically (my brother and I don't give them anything) but very hard emotionally. My mom gets so upset about it...like she failed or something...I just don't know how to get her to disengage I guess, which is why I was looking for practical advice.
Like I've been saying, it's easy to say "disengage," but it's very hard to watch.
It might be that the best you can do is listen to your Mom talk out her feelings. She already knows that your brother and GF have the solution (sell the Harleys) within their grasp. She already knows your family have tried to give budget advice and it didn't take. She already knows confrontation will harm the relationship. You're both <Bold>wishing</bold> they will wake up and stop self-harming financially, but practically, although they're acting like kids they have the adult status to make their own bad decisions.

Is your mom most upset about their bad choices? Irresponsibility in someone she raised? Fear for their health? the public whining? Feeling powerless to affect the arc?  What might help your mom 'accept what she cannot change' is you actively listening and talking out her feelings.  Do you need that too? Is that us on the forum? Or your twin? 

Good luck. It's hard to be powerless to affect the dynamic, and harder still to accept that with equanimity and not resentment.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »

relation to
Thomas Stanley?
Bzzzzzz! Try again please. Worth the effort.  Hint: Google knows her.

Ryli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »

relation to
Thomas Stanley?

The Non Consumer Advocate! Love Katy and her blog!

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
I have several family members who continually moan about not having enough money for this or that, but they always seem to have the resources to buy some new toy. Who cares?

I am certainly not going to bail anyone out of a situation they created on their own and continue to make worse. I am not even sure I would expend the energy to point out how they could fix their problem. I certainly wouldn't buy them a book. I likely wouldn't even lend them a sympathetic ear. I do have Facebook, but most of the crazy relatives are hidden from the regular feed. On the other hand, I also hide a lot of the wealthy relatives who only post their travel pics, the McMansion remodel and/or addition, or complain about how difficult it is to get all six cars parked in their sub-standard garage/driveway.

Now, if they have their own come-to-jesus realization and are ready to completely change how they live, how they save and spend, and how they will attack their future...that's different. It isn't up to me to get them to that point. Everyone has to decide for themselves and get to that point of buying in... until then, it isn't my problem.

What I guess in this case, is that the girlfriend and boyfriend will at some point decide to marry and, of course, they deserve a big fat clown wedding of their dreams and will start a gofundme campaign so that others can pay for it.

NDQ

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »

relation to
Thomas Stanley?

The Non Consumer Advocate! Love Katy and her blog!
I love Tightwad Gazette and The Non Consumer Advocate, so a shout out for the benefit of all the like-minded citizens here seemed in good order. Yay Ryli!