Author Topic: Broken iPad - repair or replace?  (Read 5175 times)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
Broken iPad - repair or replace?
« on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
Our 4 year old iPad met the tile floor today.  There's a large crack in it and the screen is almost completely black.  It won't turn on/off anymore.  Is it worth trying to repair it?  Before anyone suggests it, yes we really do want an iPad for our family.  We use it quite a bit.

So here are my questions:

- Should I go to the Apple store or try one of those independent repair shops?

- If it can't be repaired, is it worth considering a certified used one? Or perhaps a mini iPad instead? We mostly use it for apps for the kids, email and internet.

We're in Canada, in case it matters.

Thank you!

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
Re: Broken iPad - repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »
just buy a used one of the same era. Its 4 years old, probably not much $ on ebay for a similar one.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
My parents "downgraded" to an iPad mini and like it more than the regular one since it's lighter and easier to hold up.

I think if it were just the screen I would say repair, but it sounds like you may have broken something else inside too. Something similar happened to my iPhone 6+ and I think it was like $329 to repair the screen + whatever else broke through Apple. (I had the warranty thankfully)

My recommendation would be to buy an Apple certified: http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_air

They're refurbished by Apple and anywhere from 10-25% off.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
I repaired my own.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/first-gen-ipad-diy-fixed/msg581695/#msg581695

But it probably would have been easier to buy a used one. I just like taking things apart.
Seems you can score cheap ones on Ebay.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:35:52 AM »
I found out yesterday that a new glass for a mini is $130 at the independent repair place. I replaced the glass on my iPhone myself for $30 or so. I may go that route on the mini, or else by a used one.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I had a good chat with a very helpful employee at an independent Mac repair shop.  Since it's a first generation model and both the screen and computer were damaged, he did not recommend trying to repair mine.

So I'm now looking into buying a refurbished model, but the Apple store currently doesn't have any for sale.  We may end up buying a new one, but a mini this time.  Too bad!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 04:44:26 AM »
I recently replaced one and found a newest gen one on sale at Target with a $100 giftcard w/ purchase. I checked prices there, online, and at Costco and Target was the best deal. There seems to be promotions of one sort or another on Apple stuff on a fairly regular basis.

Is Apple the only source for refurbished ipads?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
I recently replaced one and found a newest gen one on sale at Target with a $100 giftcard w/ purchase. I checked prices there, online, and at Costco and Target was the best deal. There seems to be promotions of one sort or another on Apple stuff on a fairly regular basis.

Is Apple the only source for refurbished ipads?

I believe Best Buy has refurbished or "open box" ones available for a discount.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

I've done some digging but haven't come up with any source for certified refurbished iPads.  Best Buy doesn't have any.  I wonder if the Apple Store itself might have some? There's one by my office.

Sadly, we don't have Target anymore in Canada :(

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
This happened to ours, minus the crack.  It was 3 years old and just.... nothing.

We tried a hard re-set (I googled for directions).  Then I called apple tech service and they walked me through a few ideas.  Then we tried a few other things that we googled (having to do with trying to sync it to our computer/itunes).  Nothing.  Cost to repair was too high (as much as a new mini) so we got a new mini.

A few months later, H gave it one last-ditch effort before we dropped it off at an e-waste event.  Boom, plugged it in, it turned on, and has been chugging along for the past 6 months. 

So now we have 2 ipads.  Oops. 

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:55 AM »
I bought a used ipad 2 on eBay many years ago when the ipad3s came out.  Works great.  I'm posting from it now, in fact.  There's absolutely no need to buy new.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!