Author Topic: Brick & Mortar bank with decent customer support?  (Read 882 times)

Frizzle42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Brick & Mortar bank with decent customer support?
« on: October 13, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »
I know some of this depends on location, but does anyone have recommendations for a good brick & mortar bank, especially with good customer service?

Horror story rant, feel free to skip:
I used to use TCF, and the few times I needed help from customer service they were great. Then they got bought out by Huntington, and my account was *supposed to* switch over this weekend.

Unfortunately something went wonky, and I can't log in to my account online (which I really need to do because they gave us new account numbers, but they didn't mail those - we're supposed to log in and get them. And I need to update the numbers for things like direct debit for bills/utilites.) I haven't been able to get through to anyone on their phone customer service. The online chat was also fully automated, so useless. There is no email to contact. I'm assuming that once I can get to the actual physical building, someone will be able to help me, but having no access to my accounts for several days and the possibility of bills not getting paid because of this - plus not being able to reach anyone in customer service for days - has me ready to jump ship as soon as I can get access to my money and move it.

Kl285528

• Stubble
Re: Brick & Mortar bank with decent customer support?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
We absolutely love our credit union. Look into what ones are around your area. Ours is fantastic, and we get service in the branch anytime we need it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
I've never had a problem with Huntington's customer support. I suspect the problem is they're overwhelmed. Take a deep breath and try again tomorrow.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »
In the US, I was very pleased with our credit union also, and much less pleased with both TD and Bank of America.  Although with TD, I eventually got connected with a dedicated complaint person and she was very helpful.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »
The best banking decision I have ever made was going to a local credit union. Here in WA I use BECU. The credit unions have partnership agreements such that you can use other credit union ATMs when traveling so you don't lose any of the reach that the big banks do. The phone app for depositing checks, etc is great. I also simply have not had any issues with weird BS fees or the like in the last decade plus that I have been with them. That was a regular problem when I was with Wells Fargo and BofA before that.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:50 AM »
I was going to say Huntington because they’ve always been great, so I agree - give it a day or two and try again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!