Author Topic: Break Contract to Hire?  (Read 4160 times)

asiljoy

• Bristles
Break Contract to Hire?
« on: July 22, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
I'm currently working on a 6 month contract-to-hire that is slated to end mid-October. There has been absolutely no talk of the 'hire' part of that contract yet, but I routinely get good feedback. However, I am looking at their long term project plans and they all seem to rap up right about when my contract ends, so I'm doubtful they have the work for a full time hire. Even if they did, I'm not sure I'd take it. It's not a terribly challenging job and I don't see a lot of career growth; it's more or less a job where I get paid to push the red button all day. But it pays well and if hired, the benefits are top notch.

I received an offer today from a previous employer that I enjoyed working for, but was laid off from. They're still not stable and they've guaranteed that my job will change over time as they dig out of hole, but I have a chance to mold my job description and the job is a promotion in pay and responsibilities. Plus, I'll get training that will make it easier to get jobs down the road and I'll be working with people I genuinely like working with. As a bonus bit of confusing, this company has stated clearly that they're still figuring things out and there may be more layoffs coming down the pipeline.

So, do I break my contract to hire and take a 'permanent' job that may or may not be permanent, or stay at a contract to hire that may or may not actually hire me. (There's two months left in the contract, so there's no way I can finish out the contract and take the permanent job)

*edit, Or option 3. Don't take the job offer and ramp up job search efforts to get a job with a start date in November.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:14:25 PM by asiljoy »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Break Contract to Hire?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
I look at it like you made a 6-month commitment, so I wouldn't break the contract.   I might start working both jobs concurrently while winding down one and ramping up the other.   Tell the new (old) place that you have an offer for permanent employment and you'd like to know where you stand and if you can start ramping down to part time until the contract ends.  The best part about contract work is that you get to be completely forthright and that puts you on a level playing field with the employer.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Neither of these options is great, but since your chances of getting hired at the end are slim and pushing the red button all day for good money and excellent benefits is not your cup of tea, then take the unstable job with more stress.

It at least has better potential. Personally after many years of being kicked in the nuts with ridiculous requirements, endless scope creep and change requests, I would love to have a job where I push the red button all day and that's it. One with good pay and excellent benefits is a bonus. You sound like you're younger and trying to build a career. It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

It's better to coast and let your money compound.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:46:24 PM by Bearded Man »

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
BlueHouse: That's not a half bad idea. I'll have to think that one through so I don't end up working 80 hours a week for a month.

BeardedMan: I guess I'm a youngin'. It's not that I don't want a stress free job; that'd be nice. It's that I don't want a stress free job that stagnates my skills so I can't get another job anywhere else in a couple years. This particular workplace uses outdated technologies and will for the foreseeable future (and if I was a manager there, I wouldn't change the technologies. It works for them and proving ROI on a switch would be difficult). On the other hand, I'm the sole breadwinner and having good benefits is very important to me. BUT. There's no guarantee that I'll get hired and I don't want to pass up a permanent job with benefits for the shot at maybe getting them from where I'm working now.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
I look at it like you made a 6-month commitment, so I wouldn't break the contract.   I might start working both jobs concurrently while winding down one and ramping up the other.   Tell the new (old) place that you have an offer for permanent employment and you'd like to know where you stand and if you can start ramping down to part time until the contract ends.  The best part about contract work is that you get to be completely forthright and that puts you on a level playing field with the employer.

Agreed, I wouldn't screw over the contract employer for somebody who fired you in the past (even if they had good reasons). Also, the fact that your next job might be coming from someone who fired you in the past is a good illustration of why you don't want to burn bridges.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
So here's what ended up happening.

I gave my current employer an update on my situation/job offer. Apparently the shop is more of a churn and burn as far as contractors go than I realized because he didn't bat an eye. He asked if there was anything he could do to entice me to stay (no) and then he just asked me to put together a transition plan and that was that.

The offer I ended up getting for the permanent job was 1) for a permanent position 2) with an old manager I enjoyed working with 3) a promotion 4) more money and benefits 5) includes training on a different tool. I start at the end of the month after a couple of weeks of vacation. I figure even with this job, if it doesn't work out, I have more options and I'll have more of a cushion.

But, I'm happy I was honest with my current boss. I didn't burn a bridge and he said he'd be happy to have me back at any time.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:10 AM »
Sounds great! Thanks for the update!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
Congrats! Glad it worked out, sounds like you handled it well.