Author Topic: Boxed Red Wine  (Read 9691 times)

prof61820

• Bristles
Boxed Red Wine
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good boxed red wine?  My wife and I like TJ's boxes but we're looking to branch out.  We're open to just about anything.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Boxed Red Wine
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good boxed red wine?  My wife and I like TJ's boxes but we're looking to branch out.  We're open to just about anything.
I conducted a scientific study a couple of months ago about boxed wines.

Since it was heavily advertised, I tried the Black Label red, I think it was a cab. Mainly, I wanted to measure quantity. I do heavy pours and this box was definitely the equivalent of 2 bottles and it cost around $16.00 if I remember correctly.

It tasted--ok. I would use this for a casual party with lots of people where there needs to be enough wine to go around, but I wouldn't drink it all myself.

I've got another red boxed wine in the cupboard, it's something in an octagon shaped box, don't remember the brand.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »
We are partial to pinot noir and have found Black Box to be pretty good.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Black box Malbec is pretty good..

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »
I sometimes pick up the Target Wine Cubes. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »
I seem to have settled on the Bota Box RedVolution.  The octagonal box is probably Big House Red.  I like that one, but don't like the tap on the box because it requires twisting and sometimes result sin a mess.  Bota Box has a button on the tap, which works much more evenly.  I think taste is pretty even between the two.  I tend to like cabs and red zins, and this is a pretty full-bodied wine that is sort of between the two.  Don't miss bouncing around trying different bottles much at all, though we might still splurge on a nice pinot for special occasions.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
My favorite is La Vieille Ferme. It's usually around $18-$20 for a box that's equivalent to 4 bottles, so, comparable to the Bota Box (or maybe a bit more).

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:14 PM »

TJ's is about the cheapest, Badger has organic.  Try a few, see what works for you.  They all taste ok for about 75% of the box then get a bit funky.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:31 AM »
Here's another vote for Black Box Malbec.  I think it's yummy!

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
Bota box malbec

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
Big House Pinot Evil and Bota Box Malbec are our faves. The Trader Joe's brand was cheapest, but not as good.

prof61820

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:46:40 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Has anyone tried the Wineberry boxes?

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »
I am finishing a Black Box Merlot today.  Equivalent to four bottles of wine.  Got it at a dollar day sale, think we paid about $14.00.  Not bad, but I've had better.  But we buy all our wine in boxes now.  I mean $3.50 a bottle for a decent merlot?   Not quite Three Buck Chuck, but pretty damn close.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »
Big House Pinot Evil and Bota Box Malbec are our faves.

+1

I'm a recovering wine snob and the Pinot Evil is amazingly good Pinot Noir for the price. Easily the equivalent of $12/bottle to my palate.

Last month Banrock Station Shiraz was on sale for $10/box. It's quite drinkable and a steal at that price.

In general, though, I find I drink way too much with wine on tap in the house. Way too easy to pour myself a glass or three while at home in the afternoon. Beer is easier for me to self-limit, and thankfully my wife has developed a liking for most styles (particularly IPA), whereas she used to hate beer.

k3pick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »
I love Bota Box Redvolution. I get it for 14.99 (equivalent to 4 bottles) at costco.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 07:36:42 AM »
I am finishing a Black Box Merlot today.  Equivalent to four bottles of wine.  Got it at a dollar day sale, think we paid about $14.00.  Not bad, but I've had better.  But we buy all our wine in boxes now.  I mean $3.50 a bottle for a decent merlot?   Not quite Three Buck Chuck, but pretty damn close.

Did I confuse the bottle equivalent up thread? Is it supposed to be nearly the same as 4 bottles?

haha, ,that would explain why my "2 bottles" of it went very far, even with heavy pours.  :)

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »
My favorite is La Vieille Ferme. It's usually around $18-$20 for a box that's equivalent to 4 bottles, so, comparable to the Bota Box (or maybe a bit more).

Another vote here for La Vieille Ferme. It's one of my go-to everyday wines (when I still had a glass or two every day). But then, I'm a Rhone style fan. I also like their versatility with food. So, this hits the spot.

But, my favorite box red is Sant Evasio Barbera. Barbaras are often underappreciated and very enjoyable, especially for the prices. Look for the black box.

Caveat emptor: I tend to like Old World styles more than New World styles, especially for my everyday wine needs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:58:14 AM by Tetsuya Hondo »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »

Another vote here for La Vieille Ferme. It's one of my go-to everyday wines (when I still had a glass or two every day). But then, I'm a Rhone style fan. I also like their versatility with food. So, this hits the spot.

Hmm, I've never seen this one at the store, but I adored Cotes-du-Rhone wines when I was a wine snob, so my interest is piqued!

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »

Hmm, I've never seen this one at the store, but I adored Cotes-du-Rhone wines when I was a wine snob, so my interest is piqued!

It's a little tough to find in a box, but I have seen it around. In my neck of the woods, it's a grocery store stalwart in the 750ml bottle. http://lavieilleferme.com/en/

It looks like you're in the Midwest, so if you haven't seen it by now, there's a good chance that your local distributors may not carry it, given how common it seems around here. Granted, it's not high-end wine snob stuff, so I don't want to get you too excited, but it is just a good, dependable, cheap Rhone.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »
In general, though, I find I drink way too much with wine on tap in the house.

yeah, for real. Unfortunate, because if you're going to buy alcohol it's definitely a bargain. I'll certainly buy a box if I'm hosting a holiday dinner or if I have houseguests, but otherwise I tend to leave it on the shelf.  :P

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 04:53:38 AM »

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-cotes+du+rhone+villages+plan+de+dieu

if you are splashing out go for this... I found one that's about 1/2 the price of chateau neuf du pape and very very similar. I was happy.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
I love Bota Box Redvolution. I get it for 14.99 (equivalent to 4 bottles) at costco.

LOVE Bota Box RedVolution.   I always have a box of it on my counter, ready to pour.  My daughter got me a box for my birthday.  Great gift!!  I'm glad to know it is at Costco.  I just joined and will look forward to paying $14.99 instead of $19.99 at Kroger.  Win!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!