Author Topic: Bought a car. Face punches?  (Read 6828 times)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
Bought a car. Face punches?
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »
OK, confession time.  I bought a MINI.  It's a 2006 Convertible.  I had the money in my savings account and paid cash for it. 

A little background, my DW and I used to ride motorcycles for the pure pleasure of being on the open road with the wind in our hair (helmets?).  In fact, we still have the bikes but never ride anymore.  She isn't interested anymore and I just don't feel safe anymore. 

We make about 230k per year and have essentially no debt beyond our house.  We are insanely happy when we are out driving in our new car.  I have read "Your Money or Your Life" and this purchase was in alignment with our life goals. 

So, punch me in the face for delaying my FI goal by a few months or tell me that it's OK to enjoy the fruits of my labors.

What do you think?

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
Re: Bought a car. Face punches?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
The way you phrase your post sounds like you're fishing for a justification from us.

Almost that you somewhat feel guilty.

I'd say the bigger question is why do you feel guilty? You make a good salary and as long as it's not interrupting your savings goals then who really cares?

If you want to be FI ASAP and didn't really need this relatively new used car then have a face punch because you're making stupid purchases that are getting in the way of your goals.

If you want to be FI reasonably soon but are okay with working a little extra to be able to purchase 5 year old fun cars in cash with a salary roughly 5x the median then have a pat on the back.

Mustachians aren't misers.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
If you don't use them, sell the bikes to at least partially recoup the cost!

Wind in your helmet - lol!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
Just a minor face punch: you shoulda bought a Miata.

$_gone_amok

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »

+1 this. The first generation miatas are more fun than the Mini and can be had for a lot cheaper. =)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
Maybe if you had asked before you bought it I would have had something to say. Now it just sounds like "easier to ask forgiveness than permission". All I have is: do whatever the hell you want with your money, if you can logically justify the expense as being in line with your goals. I wouldn't waste my dollars on a fast car that can only legally be driven up to 65 (and is impractically small IMO), but they're your dollars so I'm not going to tell you what to do with them. Similarly, I won't justify your purchase for you. Especially after the fact.

Sounds like you enjoy it, so good job. Glad you at least bought used. As daverobev said, sell the bikes if you're done with them. No point keeping them around just to watch them rust like my dad's motorcycle does.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:11:28 AM »
Consider that a facepunch btw. If not for the purchase itself, at least for the rash way in which the decision seems to have been made.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:19:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies and the honesty.  DW and I talked at lenght about making this purchase before we did so and decided together that it aligned with our goals and financial picture.  I now realize that if I wanted the advice of the community to inform my decision, I should have asked before hand.

I do feel a little guilty but I always feel this way shortly after a big purchase, that's just the way I'm wired. 

I was planning on selling the bikes this spring, I need to get that done pretty soon.  The Miata just doesn't do it for me, but I might feel differently if I drove one, maybe next time!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
I wouldn't waste my dollars on a fast car that can only legally be driven up to 65 (and is impractically small IMO)...

Just asking for a left & right there.  1) It's not top speed that matters, it's how quickly you get there.  I hardly ever got my old Austin-Healey Sprite over 65, but it sure was fun.  2) Sorry, but the Mini (even though it's a bit much by my standards) is practically small.  It can carry two people, backpacks, & a dog or two.  For anything more, get a truck.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
I wouldn't waste my dollars on a fast car that can only legally be driven up to 65 (and is impractically small IMO)...

Just asking for a left & right there.  1) It's not top speed that matters, it's how quickly you get there.  I hardly ever got my old Austin-Healey Sprite over 65, but it sure was fun.  2) Sorry, but the Mini (even though it's a bit much by my standards) is practically small.  It can carry two people, backpacks, & a dog or two.  For anything more, get a truck.

Oh right, forgot we're posting in Jamesworld. Sorry.

OP you made the wrong car choice. You need one of these! Only tops out at 85 or so, but it'll get you there quick. And it's practically small.

IMO a car I can't use for a full day of errands without having to stop at home halfway through to empty the trunk is too small. And while I agree that quick accelerations are fun, my point was that in day-to-day travel that kind of speed (whether steady-state highway or acceleration) is dangerous, pointless beside the fun factor, and illegal if abused. Apologies if anything not explicitly written was lost on you; I know you're a technical guy and you would be technically correct in saying "well Russ, quick acceleration is just as fun, if not more fun, compared to high steady-state speed, despite the potential illegality of both actions" But that wasn't the point. Also note I said "I wouldn't" and "IMO", not "James wouldn't" or "IJO". We all know your opinions are best, but the rest of us are allowed to have our own sometimes.

I find it laughable that there is no middle ground between a subcompact car and a truck, but I'll let that one go.

OP: good choice on the car then, since it seems like you took the time to really think about it. Don't worry about the guilt, that's just your frugality conscience spazzing out a little. That's a good thing to have IMO. Good luck selling your bikes!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
Oh right, forgot we're posting in Jamesworld. Sorry.

OP you made the wrong car choice. You need one of these! Only tops out at 85 or so, but it'll get you there quick. And it's practically small.

Sorry, but it's not road legal.  Now if the OP has money burning a hole in his pocket, there's always this: http://www.arielatom.com/  And you did read the original post, didn't you? 

IMO a car I can't use for a full day of errands without having to stop at home halfway through to empty the trunk is too small.

What's a trunk?  Didn't those go out with tailfins?  And just how much stuff does anyone need to buy in a day, anyway? 

And while I agree that quick accelerations are fun, my point was that in day-to-day travel that kind of speed (whether steady-state highway or acceleration) is dangerous, pointless beside the fun factor, and illegal if abused.

Can't see how acceleration is in any way dangerous, though I can see (and have on occasion experienced) dangers from inadequate acceleration.  As to illegality, it's pretty hard to see how it could be measured.

I find it laughable that there is no middle ground between a subcompact car and a truck, but I'll let that one go.

Sure there is, but it's like trying to find the middle ground between a hammer and a screwdriver: you wind up with something that really sucks at both functions :-)

tkaraszewski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Project $30,000
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

Hah, I just bought this. I didn't come on here to ask permission or beg forgiveness, though. It's my money, and while I may appreciate the advice of people on this site I am in no way obligated to ask for it.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:40 AM »
Can't see how acceleration is in any way dangerous, though I can see (and have on occasion experienced) dangers from inadequate acceleration.  As to illegality, it's pretty hard to see how it could be measured.

Heh I actually made sure to look up the illegality part before I posted earlier to make sure I was right :-)

Easiest way to measure: breaking the tires free and leaving skid marks is explicitly illegal in some places.
More subjectively: exhibition of speed and reckless driving are two ways the police can pull you over just for doing something that *looks* dangerous. Not quantifiable, unfortunately, but that's the way it is

I can look up specific examples in legal codes if you want

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 03:15:41 AM »
And yes I know you're probably about to say only idiots break the tires and leave tracks. At the very least, my second point still applies. At best, you will recognize the spirit of what I'm saying rather than the pure technicalities of it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!