Author Topic: Boss said he'll match any offer we get! What would you do?  (Read 5119 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
Boss said he'll match any offer we get! What would you do?
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »
I work in finance at a defense company, for almost 3 years.  It's been pretty boring, until I switched to my current department (I switched to overheads in October.  It's semi interesting... Still semi boring/slow).

I originally was going to get another job come June (I have tuition handcuffs on me until then).

Yesterday in a meeting, my boss said no one can leave the company.  He even went to say "Hand me the offer and I will work with the CFO to match/compete".

Current Salary: $65k
I'm worth: $80k

I was originally set on leaving, but I do have a rockstar manager. Super flexible when I come in. I NEVER work over 40 hours. Coworkers are smart and easy to work with... But the overall work its...... eh.? Low satisfaction.

What would you do?  Get an offer to get paid more now, then leave later in the year?  Or just hold my breath until June then switch jobs?  Or get an offer, then stay?! :|

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Boss said he'll match any offer we get! What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 05:47:57 AM »
I'd look around to see what's out there, at least.

If you see interesting positions, check out comments on Glassdoor.com and TheLayoff.com

My current company has had some very negative changes to work/life balance and annual review policy lately, so there are a lot of negative comments on those sites. It can be a good way to get a feel for the company culture.

You never know what's out there until you look, though. I was in a position back in the '90s making $60k, and went with a friend to his job interview (we were going to have lunch after his interview). He came out of the office and said they wanted to talk to me, so I went in. They ended up offering me $50/hour as a W2 contractor. I countered with $55/hour, they said yes, and I went to lunch making almost double what I was making that morning. Crazy times.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:22 AM »
I work in finance at a defense company, for almost 3 years.  It's been pretty boring, until I switched to my current department (I switched to overheads in October.  It's semi interesting... Still semi boring/slow).

I originally was going to get another job come June (I have tuition handcuffs on me until then).

Yesterday in a meeting, my boss said no one can leave the company.  He even went to say "Hand me the offer and I will work with the CFO to match/compete".

Current Salary: $65k
I'm worth: $80k

I was originally set on leaving, but I do have a rockstar manager. Super flexible when I come in. I NEVER work over 40 hours. Coworkers are smart and easy to work with... But the overall work its...... eh.? Low satisfaction.

What would you do?  Get an offer to get paid more now, then leave later in the year?  Or just hold my breath until June then switch jobs?  Or get an offer, then stay?! :|

Do everything you can to increase your salary as quickly as possible. Get your $80k!

patci32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:10 AM »
Hi,

I would probably try to get a raise at my current job. The things you have mentioned probably matter more than you may think (not working more than 40 hours, smart coworkers, etc.) It's very rare and difficult to find meaning in a job. A job is just something you do to get the power of doing other things that really matter. This is why we want to FIRE, right?

Phoenix_Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 07:14:29 AM »
Teltic,

Go get another offer and find out if he was serious on matching it.  If he does, that's great!  To me it almost sounds like they know you and your team are underpaid, but have probably been told by HR that they cannot bump anyone up to market without a competing offer.  So do what he said, and go get one!  I generally feel that letting your current company match an offer is a bad thing, but in this case he proactively told you to go do it.

Another thing, it sounds like your current situation is really good.  Working under 40 hours with great co-workers is hard to beat.  If your boss is as good as you say, start asking for more work that would be done by whatever the next step up for you would be.  Are you a level 1, and want to move to a 2 or senior spot?  Are you a senior and want to move to a manager role.  Start asking for work that would be done by the next level.  It sounds like you have the time to take on more, even if it means you work 40 hours a week. 

If most of the people there are happy with what they are doing, they might not have any desire to move up, and training/promotions might have fallen by the wayside.  Start acquiring the skills necessary for that next level now.  You will be more valuable and marketable, whether that is at your current employer or somewhere else.  The person that is going to care most about your career growth is you.  If you start taking on more difficult work, you might find it is not as boring. 

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Thank you for the responses!

My only worry is I'm kind of playing chicken with my boss.  If I leave before June, I lose ~$3k in my 401k and $15k in tuition.... Although he literally said in the meeting he'd find a way to compete with offers...

The other thing was, I was so set on leaving the defense industry... Bahh I don't know.

Pros:
Smart co workers
Great boss
Great hours (I can come an hour late, boss doesn't care... But of course that means I stay an hour later...)
every other friday off (I work 9/80 schedule)

Cons:
Job Satisfaction
little to no work (I've been in this department for 4 months, so this should change in time...)

Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side. But... maybe it is.

Bahh!  I'll start shooting out my resume and see what kind of offers I can grab.  I still have mixed feelings.

Thanks again for the input so far!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
In the long run, I am not sure it's a good idea to show your boss other offers.

While you seem to enjoy aspects of this job, why continue to work for a company that continues to pay below market?

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
I would imagine this is a short term gig... I dont' see myself staying longer than 2 years...  But it could help finding my next job when I'm at $80k rather than $65k (or maybe not?).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
If you plan on leaving, accepting a match is rarely the better choice, unless salary is the only reason you planned on leaving.
If there are no office culture, hours worked, commute, life balance issues and you otherwise LOVE the job, then I'd take it.  But a better salary rarely fixes those issues if that's why you want to leave.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
I enjoy everything benefit of this job... But I odnt' enjoy the job itself. haha.

Maybe the correct thing to do is to hold my breath until June, when I can accept and take another job elsewhere.  My finance brain tells me I could make an extra couple thousand by getting a matched offer now, then leaving later.  Seems like a good ROI for the time spent interviewing... I dunno.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
Wait a week, then go in and tell him you have another offer for $85k.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
Thank you for the responses!

My only worry is I'm kind of playing chicken with my boss.  If I leave before June, I lose ~$3k in my 401k and $15k in tuition.... Although he literally said in the meeting he'd find a way to compete with offers...

Could you negotiate a $18k signing bonus to cover the losses in your $80k offer? That would prevent your boss from saying "using" that against you in an offer match.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
OP no offense, but you sound pretty young in this post. Most jobs when you are young do kind of suck. You are not used to working and they give you shit work. Its only when you have some experience IME does working feel alot more tolerable.

My guess is your next job you will never work under 40 hours. No idea what kind of work you do, but most professionals earning 80k in my country are not consistently clocking 39.5 hours a week 50-60 is more the norm.

No job is perfect, sure find a competing offer for 80 or whatever and have your boss match it. From your original post it sounds like you have a good thing going. Finding more/better work within a company with a good culture is not very hard.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
OP no offense, but you sound pretty young in this post. Most jobs when you are young do kind of suck. You are not used to working and they give you shit work. Its only when you have some experience IME does working feel alot more tolerable.

My guess is your next job you will never work under 40 hours. No idea what kind of work you do, but most professionals earning 80k in my country are not consistently clocking 39.5 hours a week 50-60 is more the norm.

No job is perfect, sure find a competing offer for 80 or whatever and have your boss match it. From your original post it sounds like you have a good thing going. Finding more/better work within a company with a good culture is not very hard.

Untrue. I make over twice that and extremely rarely put in more than 40, and oftentimes put in less than 40.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »

Untrue. I make over twice that and extremely rarely put in more than 40, and oftentimes put in less than 40.

OK sure, so you are a unicorn good for you.

But honestly high paying jobs with low hours and low stress dont really exist.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »

I am fairly young, at 27.  The problem with working here, is they put me in a finance leadership program for 3 years, rotating departments EVERY 6 MONTHS.  So with a 6 month timeline... I always get the shit work.

So yeah, maybe this job is way better than I see at the moment.... and I just need to give it time (I'm finally out of the program and into a permanent department, but only 4 months in, so again I'm getting the grunt/shit work until I earn my stripes).

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
LOL!

I have totally done this, and yeah it totally sucks.  Yes you 100% get the shit work. Your managers often have to 'find you work' right? Basically they have to find you something that is so simple that you can do it cold with zero training and it is low key enough that you can make big mistakes. So yeah your quality of work is not good.

I guess me point here is the grass is not always greener. Sounds like you have a decent gig right now, wait until you are permanently placed before you make any big moves. Feel out the work and the real responsibility that goes with it. But yeah in the mean time get yourself bumped up to 80k with a competing offer.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
LOL!

I have totally done this, and yeah it totally sucks.  Yes you 100% get the shit work. Your managers often have to 'find you work' right? Basically they have to find you something that is so simple that you can do it cold with zero training and it is low key enough that you can make big mistakes. So yeah your quality of work is not good.

I guess me point here is the grass is not always greener. Sounds like you have a decent gig right now, wait until you are permanently placed before you make any big moves. Feel out the work and the real responsibility that goes with it. But yeah in the mean time get yourself bumped up to 80k with a competing offer.

100% I get basic reports to create in excel (which I've already automatied via VBA), managing opening and closing projects in SAP, and other little stuff too... I mean I get it, I'm the new guy of the department, but god this sucks.

I'll start applying to jobs to my pay back up to market and plan to stick around here.  I'm really hoping I can get some real meaningful work to do the longer I stay in my current role!

Thanks so much for your input :)

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
I totally feel you. Let me guess when you go to ask questions, get more work etc they act like they want you out of their offices as fast as possible?

You are not part of the 'real work' yet. They wont let you touch the stuff that hit their metrics that their performance gets graded on.  I was in the DOD so it sounds like it was a similar type of thing. The good thing is you have time to mess around and find work that interests you. Just find a problem/project and insert yourself into the process. No one is going to tell you they have too much help already you know? Be sure to tell your boss how this makes him look good as well. Managers love that sort of initiative and you can cherry pick a project that looks fun.

Stay strong and good luck!

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

I am fairly young, at 27.  The problem with working here, is they put me in a finance leadership program for 3 years, rotating departments EVERY 6 MONTHS.  So with a 6 month timeline... I always get the shit work.

So yeah, maybe this job is way better than I see at the moment.... and I just need to give it time (I'm finally out of the program and into a permanent department, but only 4 months in, so again I'm getting the grunt/shit work until I earn my stripes).

Wow, that’s a big, long term investment they made in you.  They spent three years having you rotate around where you would never really be delivering much value to the department you were in, but now you have a much broader perspective of how things all fit together. Conceivably this would allow you to complete your current work in a way that coincides with the needs of other departments and the company as a whole.  Short term each 6 month assignment was a new learning curve but now you have perspective that is very valuable.  I would be very reluctant to give that up.

You said your boss was awesome - have you told him that you don’t feel challeneged?  Have you looked for other projects you could take on?  Have you offered to create some new protocol or procedures that would improve your department?   What are you doing to find projects that would be more challenging?  Surely you can see something that needs fixing or improving and clearly you have the time to sink your teeth into it.  So what’s stopping you?

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »
How much longer before your LDP is done?  I'd definitely considering see how you like it once you move into a more permanent position.

If you're in finance and excel and vba is boring you, I think you need to consider switching careers, not just jobs.

FI-King_Awesome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Boss said he'll match any offer we get! What would you do?
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
I’ll send you an offer letter for $120k, if we split the raise until you resign. Deal?

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
I would start looking at jobs now to see whats out there but not get serious until May unless you see your dream job.  18k in exchange for 4 more months at a reduced salary is worth it.

I've always had the attitude that if a company doesn't value me enough to keep me from shopping what other employers offer, they missed their shot.  I have no interested in sticking around and see how they'll screw me in the future.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 06:36:12 AM »

Another unicorn checking in.

I make right around $80k. Contracted for 37.5 hours a week. Never take work home. Any overage (which is incredibly rare) gets me unrestricted comp time to use to make up for it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
Depends on your boss, but consider going to him with some salary data, and say "look, I can play the game and go interview, but I'd rather us just be straightforward.i think I'm worth 80k. I like it here (lies!) But if I go out and interview, there's always a chance they'll wow me. Can we skip all of that?".

But yes,I think it's worth interviewing. My H just changed jobs in Dec and they gave him a signing bonus to make up his lost bonus at his old company, so you never know.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 12:37:13 PM »
I'm always have mixed feelings about these things too.

Aerospace and Defense jobs tend to pay low at entry levels - and they tend to keep you there your entire career.  But they offer stability and good benefits.  I never saw anyone fired at the big aerocorp where I worked.  2008 fiasco was a non-issue, and voluntary layoffs payed BIG for the senior folks around that time frame, and left a lot of opportunity for the less senior folks too!  I ended up staying for 8 years.  Got a big shot around year 6 that I had to take.  That two year period has paid dividends for my resume and my career.  Working for these companies can give you big opportunities if you're patient - but trust must be established first - just like with any relationship.

Switching jobs is always good for the salary though.  One of the best financial decisions I ever made was to leave big aerocorp.  The job afterwards was not all that great from a salary perspective - ~10% bump in salary, but a lower cost of living and more reasonable hours made for a ~20% bump overall.  My third opportunity was the big jump in salary.  Another 10% or so in salary, but up to 30% in bonuses paid out semi annually - and I'm still in the same LowerCOL location.

I would never be making this kind of cash if I had stayed at aerocorp.  In fact, I had an offer to return to aerocorp after job #2, but it was low, they made a second offer - still low.  Their justification, "We know you can't be making much more because we know your prior salary."  I knew I wouldn't get any financial respect there - I decided to move to company #3.  It's been a good financial decision, but I have other regrets.

In finance, I'm sure you'll be making 6 figures eventually - don't focus too much on that.  Focus on doing work you enjoy.  Right now, you don't appear to enjoy your work AND you appear to be underpaid.  Don't go looking for a job in order to go back to your current company and say "See I told you I'm worth more"... will that make each day better?  It won't.  Go find a new job that you're excited about AND get the raise.  Show your current company that they need to treat their employees better with your feet.  Your coworkers might thank you.

Overall, I don't think there's a right thing to do.  Just different things.  The grass is not greener - it's a different shade of green.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
PS - the $18k in vesting/tuition is a ploy by your current employer to try to retain your services.  And it's working.

You'll find that if a company wants your skills that they will plop down the $18k in cash without hesitating.  I'd ask for a bit more to cover taxes.  "Making you whole" is a big thing in the hiring business right now.

Example Job #2: I negotiated a $10k signing bonus and I cited moving expenses.  They asked me to give them receipts... I laughed and said, "It was a cash offer"... "But you'll pay taxes!"...  "I'm aware of that." <long silence> "Oh."   I had a $10k check a couple days later.

Actual expenses, less than $2k... I was able to stay in the 15% marginal bracket that year also.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
PS - the $18k in vesting/tuition is a ploy by your current employer to try to retain your services.  And it's working.

Oh  it's 100% working.  The only reason why I'm still sure is that $18k.

[/quote]
Wow, that’s a big, long term investment they made in you.  They spent three years having you rotate around where you would never really be delivering much value to the department you were in, but now you have a much broader perspective of how things all fit together. [/quote]

Yeah... They also spent ~$70k on me last year, relocating me to San Diego for the year, then back (they gave me 12 free flights anywhere to the world too).

Anyway, over the weekend I have applied to 20 jobs.  Yes. 20.  The idea is to shoot for as high of a salary I can land... If I don't get an offer by June, I'll just take a job I'm interested in with an over $75k offer.

Thank you guys!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
I think I would go to the boss and ask if he was serious about the offer, and then in him to increase your pay proactively to what he thinks you're worth/can get elsewhere.  Tell him that if you are going to keep respecting this company, then the company needs to be proactive in managing its employees.  Also, you don't want to pull the chain of another company if you believe you're using it only as a negotiating tactic. 

I probably wouldn't have done that early on in my career, but hey, I didn't have a bunch of advice from super-smart mustachios either. 

Anyway, the worst that can happen is he says no, so then you go get another offer and then use his counteroffer to renegotiate your new place.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »
I think I would go to the boss and ask if he was serious about the offer, and then in him to increase your pay proactively to what he thinks you're worth/can get elsewhere.  Tell him that if you are going to keep respecting this company, then the company needs to be proactive in managing its employees.  Also, you don't want to pull the chain of another company if you believe you're using it only as a negotiating tactic. 

I probably wouldn't have done that early on in my career, but hey, I didn't have a bunch of advice from super-smart mustachios either. 

Anyway, the worst that can happen is he says no, so then you go get another offer and then use his counteroffer to renegotiate your new place.

Actually, in some respects this (bolded) is about the best that can happen.  You'll learn very quickly whether your boss is serious about properly rewarding and valuing you or whether it's just rhetoric.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »

Another unicorn checking in.

I make right around $80k. Contracted for 37.5 hours a week. Never take work home. Any overage (which is incredibly rare) gets me unrestricted comp time to use to make up for it.

I make $126000 and i never take work home and work barely 40 hours or less.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 04:39:09 AM »
Anyway, over the weekend I have applied to 20 jobs.  Yes. 20.  The idea is to shoot for as high of a salary I can land... If I don't get an offer by June, I'll just take a job I'm interested in with an over $75k offer.

20 is a lot. It sounds like you have written a standard application. If you prepare a bit for a new job, it will cost some time and you won't be able to do 20 in a weekend.

About keep sitting in your current job... You can also be mentally depressed by boredom. If you are bored in your job and your boss wants you to stay, you should ask for other tasks, leading projects, etc. If they don't listen, then run. They cannot expect you to be bored and not switch jobs.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
Curious how this worked out for @teltic

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
@Montecarlo  I have an interview today @ 3 PM, and a 3rd interview with another company on Friday. :)

Both companies know I want at least $80k (I said my range is $80-$90k), and I have $12k in tuition I'd need help to pay back.

I originally applied to 20 jobs, got 4 calls asking me to come in to interview... I declined 2 (Goldman Sachs... wtf was I thinking to apply? and a small tech start up (it ended up being a 12 month contract).

I'm optimistic I'll have at least 1 offer by next week (why the hell would they want to interview me 3 separate times without giving me an offer?). 

I'll update this once I see some offers. My original plan was just to get an offer to get matched... But these 2 companies sound really exciting to work for!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:17:22 AM by teltic »

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
@Montecarlo  Final update.

I received an offer from a company. The funny part is... My current company did not match (or even come close).

Current: $68k 5% company match

Future: $85k base, 15% bonus

First Counter: $70k (LOL)
Second Counter: $75k (... lol)

Hurts a little losing $17k in 401k & tuition repayment... But I'll "break even" in 6 months.

Don't believe everything your boss says.  When getting an offer... Be prepared to leave.   I'm overall happy to leave, but it would have been better for me to wait for 3 months before snagging this offer.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Congrats! And who knows, in three months the other position may have been filled, or off the budget until next year. Just hit the ground running and forget about the past.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
Nice!