Author Topic: Boss said he'll make any offer we get! What would you do?  (Read 1145 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
Boss said he'll make any offer we get! What would you do?
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
I work in finance at a defense company, for almost 3 years.  It's been pretty boring, until I switched to my current department (I switched to overheads in October.  It's semi interesting... Still semi boring).

I originally was going to get another job come June (I have tuition handcuffs on me until then).

Yesterday in a meeting, my boss said no one can leave.  He even went to say "Hand me the offer and I will work with the CFO to match/compete".

Getting a new job takes longer than expected... So while I'm "free" in June, it could take months...

Current Salary: $65k
I'm worth: $80k

I do have a rockstar manager. Super flexible when I come in. I NEVER work over 40 hours. Coworkers are smart and easy to work with... But the overall work its...... eh.?

What would you do?  Get an offer to get paid more now, then leave later in the year?  Or just hold my breath until June then switch jobs?  Or get an offer, then stay?! :|

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
Re: Boss said he'll make any offer we get! What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
I would approach him and tell him it was a really nice thing to say and how much you appreciate the company and his managerial style so you don't have any interest in leaving.  Having said that, you think that market for your position is 80K, and ask how best to get that bump in pay.  You could either (a) take [additional] responsibility for more interesting projects to justify the bump or (b) go out, interview and show him the offer so that he has something to show the CFO or (c) both.

red_pill

• Bristles
Re: Boss said he'll make any offer we get! What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
Why would you even think of leaving there? I think the expectation that work shouldn’t feel like a job is unrealistic. I doubt any finance job anywhere is going to be super exciting.  The grass isn’t always greener and just chasing dollar bills is a sure way to misery.