Author Topic: bare essentials for a new apartment...  (Read 6889 times)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
bare essentials for a new apartment...
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
I have moved into a 220sqft studio without a kitchen, it's called a bachelor actually. No AC but has a ceiling fan and water and electricity are paid for. It even came with a fridge and a microwave. I don't want to spend anything unless I have to. What are the bare essentials?
I have no bed, but I have toiletries, I have zero furniture.

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: bare essentials for a new apartment...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »
Possibly a bed/sofa combo (futon or other). A table to eat from (unless you have a counter bar that you can just pull a stool up to) - the table can be either a coffee table or traditional table. Basic kitchen tools and tableware if you intend to cook (if you check out miss minimalist you can find a list of their basics). I think have flexible pieces that can be used for multiple purposes is key....

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »
I have moved into a 220sqft studio without a kitchen, it's called a bachelor actually. No AC but has a ceiling fan and water and electricity are paid for. It even came with a fridge and a microwave. I don't want to spend anything unless I have to. What are the bare essentials?
I have no bed, but I have toiletries, I have zero furniture.

Bare, bare minimum:
Futon - It's a bed, it's a couch, it's a place to sit and eat dinner. Alas, it does not make julienne fries.
Sheets, pillow, pillow case. Light blanket.
A small table or tv tray to eat on.

To be fancy you could buy a table and a couple of chairs.

Can you buy a hot plate and a toaster oven? If so, you now have a tiny kitchen with a fridge, microwave, stove and oven.

A few pots and pans, some plates, cups, glasses and silverware. One very good knife. Cutting board. Strainer. Most of this stuff can be purchased for pennies at Goodwill and similar thrift stores. Are you in the US? I do not know where to find good used stuff in other countries, but figure it has to be around.

A friend of ours came to the US from Germany last year. He and I went to Ikea, and he furnished his tiny apartment for less than 200 dollars, and he bought a lot of "extra" stuff.

Justaerin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
There are BARE essentials, and there are the barest essentials to feel home, or to not get ultra depressed over time feeling like you're just shacked up in a big room.    That last bit is subjective.

When I started living on my own, I had a giant beanbag that was a catch-all sitting sleeping thing.  My cardboard boxes from moving were covered with sheets or bare and served as my tables.  I bought some hangars for my uniforms, so that was nice.

I agree with the good GOOD chef's knife, a toaster oven and hot plate.  These allow a variety of food, and a variety of food will greatly enhance your emotional and physical well-being.  You could totally sleep on the floor pretty comfortably, but get a great pillow (i really like these buckwheat pillows, and they'll last a long time).  If you're really bare, an old GI poncho liner is a phenomenal piece of kit for sleeping.  Some hangars.  A cast iron pan and a pot.  A small set of glassware for both microwaving and storing food.  A plate (frisbee!?).  A bowl.  A spork.  A glass.  Maybe a smaller knife.  These can be cleaned after each use.  Some books?  A few bath towels.  Some cleaning gear, i.e. multi-surface spray, a rag, a vacuum, a mop, etc.  A couple dish rags/towels for cleaning and drying. 

Seating can be over rated, depending on how bare you're going.  But you can often get furniture so cheap that it's well worth the boost you get in creating a bit more of a "home".

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
no furniture is great.

Makes cleaning a breeze cos nothing is sitting there gathering dust,
Forces you to chuck out junk mail cos there's nothing to put it on,
Stops you from collecting crap and trinkets

Bare naked essentials? I would go with what CU Tiger said. And add 1 or 2 green pot plants.

naners

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »
Not quite bare essentials, but if you plan to/like cooking at all, consider a single or double induction cooker instead of a hot plate. Much better for cooking. Just make sure the pots and pans you get will work with them (check to see if a magnet will stick).

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
Plunger.  Trust me, it's one thing you don't want to be caught without.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
Mattress, sheets, pillow, towel. I'll second the suggestion to make the mattress a futon; then you can fold creatively for sitting area, and futons tend to be cheaper anyway. You'll need a blanket by the time it gets cold.

Two bowls and a casserole dish for that microwave. At least one fork, one knife, and one spoon. At least one cup (mine would be a coffee cup). Your preferred method of making coffee.

A chair if you don't go the futon route.

A mop, broom, and a couple of rags to keep it from getting too disgusting. Ditto on the toilet plunger. Some liquid dish soap; you can clean anything with it, including yourself if necessary.

That much will keep you going for a good long while if you need it to. Pretty much all of it can be bought used, though if you're in a bedbug area, I'd steer away from a used futon or mattress, and I'd wash the linens right away.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
Only thing I have to add is I'd go glass over metal for cooking things so you can use it all in the microwave.

sassy1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
Find a GoodWill in a fancy neighborhood and you will be set. 

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
I went to salvation army and found a george foreman grill for $5.60 and works great. I was able to get a fork/knife/spoon/cutting knife/2 glass bowls/coffee press/2 cups donated to my cause :)
I have an air mattress that the landlord is letting me use, I'll start looking for that futon, great idea.

I bought that multipurpose soap, comes in a big old gallon so it's great.

Totally forgot about cleaning products, gonna get those as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!