Author Topic: Books for upcoming retiree?  (Read 4070 times)

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Books for upcoming retiree?
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »

Hey all!

My mom's going to be retiring from teaching at the end of this school year.  She's very excited and I'm excited for her.  I was wondering if you all can recommend any great books/references/guides or any other associated information that might be useful for her.  I figured I'd use any great recommendations as a Christmas present... and not incidentally, probably read them myself, too. :-) 

Thanks!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Books for upcoming retiree?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
I realize that you're looking to buy instead of borrow from the public library, but you could buy one or two titles and then include a list of more titles that are available through your local library.

I've gathered this list over the years, but here it is on one blog page with affiliate links to Amazon:
http://the-military-guide.com/recommended-reading-books-research-papers-and-articles/

You can ignore the first page (unless your mother was in the military) but the other 90+ titles are applicable to everyone.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
That's a great list from Nords!

Since it's a big list to go through, I'll throw my two cents in.

Assuming you're past retirement planning and feel secure with your numbers (if you aren't, I'd recommend the Retirement Calculator from Hell), and looking to transition (and I'm assuming since your mom was a teacher she has a decent pension that is stable and covers all her expenses, so she isn't too worried about the finances part), I'd particularly highlight these books personally:
Ernie Zelinski's two books: The Joy of Not Working and How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free
Bob Clyatt's Work Less, Live More

Warner's Get A Life, You Don’t Need A Million to Retire Well is next on my list, so if anyone's read it, would appreciate thoughts!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
Ernie Zelinski's two books: The Joy of Not Working and How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free
Warner's Get A Life, You Don’t Need A Million to Retire Well is next on my list, so if anyone's read it, would appreciate thoughts!
I've read 'em all, and they're all good.

Warner is a co-founder of Nolo Press, and it was ironic that he was still working there after writing the book.  (The company has been sold in the last few years.)  That book is also one of the reasons why Nolo agreed to publish Bob's "Work Less, Live More". 

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
That's a great list from Nords!

Since it's a big list to go through, I'll throw my two cents in.

Assuming you're past retirement planning and feel secure with your numbers (if you aren't, I'd recommend the Retirement Calculator from Hell), and looking to transition (and I'm assuming since your mom was a teacher she has a decent pension that is stable and covers all her expenses, so she isn't too worried about the finances part), I'd particularly highlight these books personally:

I want to second: Ernie Zelinski's two books: The Joy of Not Working and How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Thanks guys!  This is perfect--I will be keeping the master list handy and will definitely look into those specifics you listed.  I appreciate it!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Jeff Yeager had a new one this year, How to Retire the Cheapskate Way.  I really like his books.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Cheapskate-Way-Cheapskates/dp/0307956423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386567340&sr=8-1&keywords=cheapskate+retirement

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!