Author Topic: Book recommendation for almost retired  (Read 1087 times)

KM77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Book recommendation for almost retired
« on: December 05, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »
I am looking for help from this forum, which I think is populated with some very thoughtful people!

So I’m looking to buy a book for my mom for Christmas.  She is going to be retiring at the end of the school year and every time I ask her what she’s planning on doing for this next stage, she doesn’t have any idea. She loves her job (STEM professor) and I think she’d work forever if it weren’t for my dad. BUT I think if given a kick in the pants or some inspiration that she’d be able to approach this next stage in her life with enthusiasm. Right now I just feel dread and uncertainty coming from her.

Does anyone have any books they found helpful in the transition from work to retirement? Not specifically money related, I’m looking for more of a book that is related to discovering that next life.  Not sure exactly how to phrase it but I hope you get the drift! I did a search already but didn’t find any topics on this.

Thanks!

terran

• Magnum Stache

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Re: Book recommendation for almost retired
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
Not a book, but you could casually mention (after going to  or calling the library to ask) that your local library is running STEM programs (or would like to) for kids and looking for volunteers.

I have found that having a volunteer gig is nearly life-altering as far as purpose, and even if it is only once a week it also helps create a schedule.  Yet there's enough flexibility that if you want to jaunt off to Vietnam for two weeks, you can. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!