Author Topic: Book recomendations for a friend starting over  (Read 2458 times)

Maigahane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Book recomendations for a friend starting over
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
I have a friend who is going through a divorce. She is young (25ish) and is basically starting over as if she is right out of high school; no higher education, no job skills, very little debt, lots of drama. I want to send her two books for Christmas, one financial and one personal self-help. I'm probably going to send her Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover since she's perfect target market for it but need recommendations for self help.
She is very...externally focused I guess. She is happy when she feels wanted and doesn't really work on herself. This divorce is kicking her butt because she's losing her husband of 5 years and a lot of friends and she's depressed because of it. I want something that emphasizes the point that when you are happy with yourself things fall into place. Something that focuses on self-improvement for yourself so that your happiness isn't so heavily in other's control. Something fairly easy to read as well.

Any recommendations?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Book recomendations for a friend starting over
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »
Let me check, there is a book on the tip of my tongue but I can't recall it. For self-help I don't know if this is the ideal book, but I really enjoyed Dale Carnegie's How to win friends and influence people.

In fact, I think I am going to read it again as I still haven't taken its lessons to heart.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart

Charlotte

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
This is probably not a good suggestion, but Larry Winget cracks me up!  ;)

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »
How to Survive the Loss of a Love by McWilliams, Bloomfield, and Colgrove. Great self-help book!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!