Author Topic: Bodyweight Exercises: Where and What?  (Read 12244 times)

ayylmao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bodyweight Exercises: Where and What?
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
So, i'll give you a quick tl;dr of my sorry state. Sorry body for abusing you!

- Cannot pick up 15 lb dumbbells
- No idea how to do a push up, or any exercise for that matter
- No idea how to do a pull up, and nowhere to do one
- Have absolutely no flexibility at all
- Can't ride a bicycle because I can't figure out how to stabilize myself

Pretty much, I want to be able to well, BE ABLE TO DO THESE THINGS. I'm not looking to get jacked, I'm not looking to get more attractive, I'm not even doing it because I get picked on: I'm doing it because I can't stand the fact that I can't do these easy tasks. I am 15 years old and some 6 or 7 year old out there is probably in better shape than me. I USED to be really fit when I was like 6... but then video games and a lack of anything to do came about (location location location and tight budget)

SO: Mustachians, Do you have any recommendations for me? I figure I'd ask here instead of having a few people link me to things I obviously can't do, or telling me to go to a gym for strength training. When I'm strong enough to do near or at my body weight worth of strength easily, then I'll invest in a home gym set. Not really that hard, and no guys trying to catch the attention of an observing female (or male)! This isn't a fitness forum, I'm aware, but nobody will help me. Give some things to try out, because at this point I'm really starting to self deprecate myself over this and never doing anything about it, just laughing at my own weakness while crying inside. And before you ask, I'm fixing up my diet. My diet is, to be frank, utterly shit.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bodyweight Exercises: Where and What?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
Have you looked into yoga? It requires no equipment and can be as easy or hard as you make it, which to me is the biggest benefit. Seriously, yoga is like playing the piano. Anyone could pick up chopsticks in a few hours, yet you can spend a lifetime mastering the instrument.

I believe there are plenty of videos on Youtube, if you just search "beginner yoga workout" or something similar. If you're like me, this might be a good route to go because nobody will see you and it'll be easier to relax without feeling self conscious.

By the way, yoga isn't just for flexibility and stability. It helps build strength as well!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
Three suggestions:

1) use everyday objects around your house to start building strength and start exercising:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/advice/a32196/items-that-work-just-as-well-as-weights/

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/household-item-workout

2) Watch youtube videos to see how to do basic weight training for form, etc.  There is a lot of info out there.

3) Walk.  It's something you already know how to do.  Start walking, around your neighborhood.  Start with a ten minute walk, five times a week, and increase your time every week.  Listening to music will make it go fast and be enjoyable.  If you live somewhere cold, find somewhere inside to walk like a mall or an indoor track.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
The key to effective training with body weight exercises is to use leverage and progressively harder exercises, instead of using heavier weights. So, for example, to progress to a push up you do them with your hands elevated above your feet on some platform (making it easier). Then over time, use progressively lower platforms until you reach the floor. Once that is no longer challenging, you can do the same thing with one arm push ups.

A pretty good site with a routine and a list of progressions is this one: http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

A video illustrating the push up progression I described: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAmQywMUyo

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:53:17 PM by vhalros »

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
Also, learning to ride a bicycle just takes practice. I'd try something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP3DNPDKxOM

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Most of your questions, like how to do a push up, could be answered easier by a 5 second Google search and video than us here.

I'm going out on a limb here and say your problem isn't lack of strength or know how, but I'm pretty positive it's motivation.

Prove me wrong and update this thread each day as to how you are actually pushing yourself to fix these issues. ANYTHING is better than nothing.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
Sorry but I got a laugh about how you "used to be in great shape"...when you were SIX YEARS OLD!!!  LOL, sorry couldn't resist.  I can't quite remember my fitness level that far back.

So if you need some motivation to build muscle then watch the movie Pumping Iron with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Couple caveats though:

1. No matter how much you lift in life, you'll never have a body like that....just accept it
2. Don't go looking to Schwarzenegger for workout tips
3. They obviously used steroids

But still, just watching Arnold do his thing outta ignite some spark to get bigger and stronger.  If not then at least you'll know that bodybuilding isn't for you.

Agree with the others on bodyweight exercises to start.  Look at the bright side, you're coming from a pretty dark place and there are some very low hanging fruit...you should see results pretty quick if you stick with it for a little while.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
Didn't you read the link from the other thread I posted in? http://neatstrength.com/beginner-bodyweight-workout-plan/

They have links and suggestions within about how to adjust the exercise for when you cannot complete it normally.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »

Most of your questions, like how to do a push up, could be answered easier by a 5 second Google search and video than us here.

I'm going out on a limb here and say your problem isn't lack of strength or know how, but I'm pretty positive it's motivation.

Prove me wrong and update this thread each day as to how you are actually pushing yourself to fix these issues. ANYTHING is better than nothing.

I agree. You say you don't know how to ride a bike, do a push-up .... But you know how to post on a forum and get advice. So you should know how to use google and YouTube, correct?

Like others have said, start by walking around the block. Lift items around the house: gallons of milk, rice bags, books, whatever. To build strength you start with light weight, more reps instead of heavy weight, fewer reps. Basically, life a 5lb thing 30 times instead of 15lb 5 times or whatever the weight is.

You will fall off a bike while learning, it's inevitable and unfortunately will hurt more now that you are 15 and not 5.

ayylmao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »
Sorry but I got a laugh about how you "used to be in great shape"...when you were SIX YEARS OLD!!!  LOL, sorry couldn't resist.  I can't quite remember my fitness level that far back.

So if you need some motivation to build muscle then watch the movie Pumping Iron with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Couple caveats though:

1. No matter how much you lift in life, you'll never have a body like that....just accept it
2. Don't go looking to Schwarzenegger for workout tips
3. They obviously used steroids

But still, just watching Arnold do his thing outta ignite some spark to get bigger and stronger.  If not then at least you'll know that bodybuilding isn't for you.

Agree with the others on bodyweight exercises to start.  Look at the bright side, you're coming from a pretty dark place and there are some very low hanging fruit...you should see results pretty quick if you stick with it for a little while.

Does sound a BIT weird that I can remember that I was fit at 6, but that was because... well, literally all I did was run around and go to the playground! I played in the sand and went swimming (shallow, but swimming CONSTANTLY). It was really good. But then computers took me over and here I am now, regretting getting my first computer a long time ago. I don't go to bodybuilders for help, but anyone I ask is like LMAO DO THIS even if i JUST told them I couldn't. Kind of annoying. I really could care less about bodybuilding, or even how I "look", it's just that I feel painfully weak and inadequate at all times but I don't know what the hell to do to start... IDK. I'll figure it out I guess... :(

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
... IDK. I'll figure it out I guess... :(

To add to the motivation I'm going to also add that it's your attitude.

You've got great advice in this thread, you know how to use a computer, why are you complaining?

I have been lifting weights my whole life. When I was 15 I had the third most days in the weight room out of our entire high school football team.

I've also been helping people my whole life. People with no motivation and bad attitudes have failed before they even started. Heck, even a lot of people with good attitudes, but unrealistic expectations aren't much better off.

You're in your prime to get started and make exercise a habit for the rest of your life. That choice is how you want to approach it, and I promise you, being physically fit will get far more in life when it comes to school, career, confidence, etc. loads beyond strength and health.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
Check out nerdfitness.com. That blogger focuses both on nutrition and fitness.  The great thing about that site is that there are videos of how to do the exercises and he explains how to modify the exercises if they are too hard or easy.  Plus, you dont need anything more than your body and some open floor space.  When I first started, I could barely get through 1 set of the beginners workout. 2 years lafter and Im working on the advanced workout.  Check it out and just get moving.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 05:24:38 PM »

I don't go to bodybuilders for help, but anyone I ask is like LMAO DO THIS even if i JUST told them I couldn't. Kind of annoying. I really could care less about bodybuilding, or even how I "look", it's just that I feel painfully weak and inadequate at all times but I don't know what the hell to do to start... IDK. I'll figure it out I guess... :(

Sorry kid but you come across as a crybaby always finding an excuse on why something can't be done.  When I was 21 I couldn't even squat the bar at the gym and that's only 45lbs.  I was 6ft, 135lbs.  Watched Pumping Iron and decided I wanted to look like Arnold someday.  By 25yo I could squat 450lbs for reps and weighed over 220lbs.  I didn't even have to walk uphill both ways to school in the snow either.

Guess what, anything worth doing in life...before I was able to do it, I COULDN'T do it!  Welcome to the world, we can't just all do everything naturally from the beginning.  It takes hard work and practice and dedication to get the stuff in life that's worthwhile.  Don't want to build muscles like a bber?  That's fine, but don't complain that you can't pick up 15lb dumbells then, because doing that takes weightlifting and strength exercises. 

Can't do a push up?  Tough shit then start out doing them with your knees on the ground and work your way up to normal ones.  If you can't do one with your knees on the ground then you have some medical problems you need to figure out. 

Clausen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »
Start with yoga, easy to find free videos on-line. Good series is Yoga Zone.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
Starting and establishing the routine is the hardest part.

I have to admit that I thought it was interesting you said you "can't even do a push up... Or pull up".  I find those incredibly hard!!  "Real" push ups, anyway.  I don't feel the average unfit American does these. I'm not saying you shouldn't!!!!  They are great goals!  Just don't be discouraged if you are unable to do a more advanced exercise when you are a beginner.  As I kid these were not that hard. - but when you are 60 lbs body weight exercises are different.

Remember the only person you have to be better than is yourself.  I started by walking.  It was discouraging because even little old ladies would pass me as the power-walked in the park.  Now I can jog 6 miles - but I'm the slowest jogger you've ever seen.  It's okay, though.  It works for me and I'm in better shape.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 06:00:09 AM »
Starting and establishing the routine is the hardest part.

I have to admit that I thought it was interesting you said you "can't even do a push up... Or pull up".  I find those incredibly hard!!  "Real" push ups, anyway.  I don't feel the average unfit American does these. I'm not saying you shouldn't!!!!  They are great goals!  Just don't be discouraged if you are unable to do a more advanced exercise when you are a beginner.  As I kid these were not that hard. - but when you are 60 lbs body weight exercises are different.

Remember the only person you have to be better than is yourself.  I started by walking.  It was discouraging because even little old ladies would pass me as the power-walked in the park.  Now I can jog 6 miles - but I'm the slowest jogger you've ever seen.  It's okay, though.  It works for me and I'm in better shape.

Most women do find push-ups and pull-ups very difficult.  Especially a proper overhand chin-up, it's very rare to see a woman who can do one without cheating.  Comes down to physiology, that's just the way it is.  My wife finds them to be extremely difficult despite working out with me every morning and having no problems squatting 155lbs for 10-12 rep sets.  It's pretty sad to think that the average American male couldn't do a single chin-up or pull-up though...

For some people I think it's ok to take your approach and set lower stress goals.  For others, myself included, I've always found it more helpful to have a very clear picture of what you want to achieve in mind.  I need know that I want to boost my weight to 220lbs, or maybe work up to a 400lb squat or a sub 5 minute mile.  Without the distinct visualization of the end product I end up just wandering aimlessly in my workouts not showing any improvement.  But everybody works out for different reasons, it's important to figure out what you really want to achieve before you start your routine.

The other key, I don't care what your goals are, is to keep a daily log book of your progress.  If this week I squatted 365lbs for 8 reps then next week when I do my leg workout I look back and see what I did...then I know I have to up it to 370lbs no matter what (injuries notwithstanding).  Maybe you jogged six miles today in 54 minutes....well next week when you do it again you look back and know you need to do it in 53 minutes, or whatever.  Treadmills are great because it's easy to control speed from workout to workout though I do prefer running outdoors.  Three sets of pushups this week @ 5,4,3 reps?  Next workout make it 6,5,3...improvement.  5lbs increment on a 365lb squat and you don't even really notice the difference...but do that for a month of leg workouts and you just put 20lbs on your squat.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 07:54:38 AM »
Yoga Yoga Yoga.  It is as simple or as difficult as you make it.  I love DDP Yoga but it is not free so maybe you should try youtube for free videos to make sure you like it.  There is so much variety, it is hard to get bored with it and if it is too advanced, just modify your movements.  Use a chair to help your balance, don't lunge as far at first, etc.

For motivation, Rocky.  Just watch every training montage, there's gotta be compilations of these on Youtube.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0jzepk0WA There it is.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »
Move a lot more. There are plenty of people who are strong who don't "lift" and they have jobs where they have to move themselves or things a lot. Start with more stuff around the house. I'm sure your parents would love the help.  Then move on from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
Most women do find push-ups and pull-ups very difficult.  Especially a proper overhand chin-up, it's very rare to see a woman who can do one without cheating.  Comes down to physiology, that's just the way it is.  My wife finds them to be extremely difficult despite working out with me every morning and having no problems squatting 155lbs for 10-12 rep sets.  It's pretty sad to think that the average American male couldn't do a single chin-up or pull-up though...

I agree that many women find them difficult, and that physiology makes them more difficult (narrower shoulders, a lot more dead weight fat even on a lean woman) but given a month training for 5 minutes a day I can do 12 proper chin ups or 8 pull ups, and I'm a petite female office worker who hasn't worked out in months.  I really think a lot of women come to pull ups expecting to fail because they've been told they will for so long, or that the only women who can do pull ups look like body builders.

I don't think pull up need to be the end all, be all of fitness, and you can be super fit without being able to do them, but they are SUCH a simple, free exercise that I am constantly challenging my female friends to give them a shot (even if all they do is hang for 10 seconds at first).

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
Are you male or female? I couldn't quite tell from your post.

Either way, get a ball of some sort or a Frisbee and find someone to throw it with.  If you can't find anyone, throw it against the wall. 

Stretch! Drink water!

Walk/play with a dog. (Make money doing this if you can!)

Find hills or stairs to climb. Hiking is one of my favorite workouts-much better than anything indoors.

Other video based workouts could include Tae Bo, step aerobics, etc., even dancing.  Keep trying until you find something you like, the options are endless.

Start slow and work up.  You may have some muscle pain to begin with.  Take some Advil or Tylenol to help in the beginning, but it should get better as you improve.

Good luck!

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »
First, read this.  Stop whatever you are doing right now, and read all of it: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Buy this book (you will recognize it from the page you just read): http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738
Read it.

Get access to a real gym (a real gym has barbells, squat racks, benches, and a place where you can deadlift).

Do the program in the book.  EAT. (3000k+ calories a day)  Get tons of sleep.  After six months of this you will be bigger and much stronger.

For the love of GOD don't do fucking yoga.  Yoga, along with virtually every activity that is not a barbell program, will not make you big and strong.

Also, seeking fitness advice on a personal finance/frugality forum is really not a good idea.  You can find better advice, and good beginner materials, at these places:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum
http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness

Good luck.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »
You mentioned that you are cleaning up your diet.  That's a great place to start.  Eating right not only is great for you physiologically, but it mentally gets you in the right mindset. It's a win-win.  This may sound dramatic, but I didn't realize how good I could feel until I starting eating right.

I'm not sure what you mean by "utter shit" (there are many flavors of utter shit), but when I was 15 I ate cereal, skim milk, peanut butter sandwiches, the occasional apple, pasta, and hot dogs/hamburgers.  No vegetables, and no nutrition of any kind really to speak of, really just wheat, peanut butter, crappy milk, a little bit of straight-up junk food, and the occasional processed meat.  My parents fed me a multivitamin, but those are basically feel-good do-nothing pills in the face of a shitty diet.

You don't have to go crazy, but cut out the obvious junk, sugar and/or grains, and focus on vegetables and meat/eggs.  Protein is important, but not as important as the whole-chicken-for-lunch-chased-with-a-protein-shake crowd wants you to believe.  You'll get enough in any reasonable amount of meat, whole milk (if you enjoy drinking milk) and eggs. 

Learn to cook some basic things.  Cooking doesn't have to be fancy or incredibly time-consuming.  Scramble some eggs, when you get good at that, make an omelette or breakfast skillet.  Practice chopping vegetables, cook them in a pan with some meat and you've got yourself a stir-fry.  Make some burgers from scratch.  Steam some vegetables.  Bake a potato.  Hell, cook a potato in the microwave.  Roast a chicken.  Look up slow cooker recipes if you have one.  I didn't do any real cooking (beyond essentially boiling water for pasta) until I was 21 and out of my parents' house, but I wish I had started sooner.

With that dialed in, start simple on the exercise end.  You mentioned push-ups and pull-ups as goals.  I'd start with push-ups.  I know there are different stages of "pre-pushups" that can help get you there.  Then once you're able to do a few real push-ups you could buy a pull-up bar (they're cheap) and mix that into your routine.  Then you can break into the world of barbells if you want, and I would heartily recommend that once you get to that point.  Barbells are not just for bodybuilders; they are amazing for average schlubs like me too, and have all kinds of benefits beyond putting on muscle.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
First, read this.  Stop whatever you are doing right now, and read all of it: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
This may be the best thing about exercise and diet that I've ever read. Why is there so much bullshit out there on this topic?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
If you're truly struggling with the mechanics of movement, I'd recommend checking out Convict Conditioning. The beginning exercises start out at a very accessable level, even to people who don't have much fitness. I used the program as part of my rehab after knee surgery.

I agree that many women find them difficult, and that physiology makes them more difficult (narrower shoulders, a lot more dead weight fat even on a lean woman) but given a month training for 5 minutes a day I can do 12 proper chin ups or 8 pull ups, and I'm a petite female office worker who hasn't worked out in months.  I really think a lot of women come to pull ups expecting to fail because they've been told they will for so long, or that the only women who can do pull ups look like body builders.

Fitness is part of my career, and I've witnessed that moment when women suddenly realize they actually, for realz, can do a chin up. They go from doing none, to lots faster than they could truly increase strength. Those pull ups were in them all along, they just couldn't quite find them. Seeing that is awesome every time!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Fitness is part of my career, and I've witnessed that moment when women suddenly realize they actually, for realz, can do a chin up. They go from doing none, to lots faster than they could truly increase strength. Those pull ups were in them all along, they just couldn't quite find them. Seeing that is awesome every time!

It really is great.  I honestly could probably go beyond 8 or 12 without much work.  I mostly stop because it STOPS being challenging and I lose interest.  Then I get the pleasure of doing it again a couple months later.

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
Lots of good advice on here so I will try to be simple for you.  There are a couple of things you should do right away...

1) Get active!  Start by walking, any distance more than you can today.  Instead of playing video games when you get home go walk around the block.  Do something instead of sitting on the couch.
2)Stretch, even simple stretches will help.  Use google to find easy stretching exercises...look I found this one for you
http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/stretching-yoga/stretching-exercises
3)Figure out what you want to accomplish with this.  Do you want to be able to do a pushup?  Gain muscle?  Become more fit?  Having a goal will clarify what you are trying to accomplish and will increase your focus.

Seriously though, you need to get active. 

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Check out nerdfitness.com. That blogger focuses both on nutrition and fitness.  The great thing about that site is that there are videos of how to do the exercises and he explains how to modify the exercises if they are too hard or easy.  Plus, you dont need anything more than your body and some open floor space.  When I first started, I could barely get through 1 set of the beginners workout. 2 years lafter and Im working on the advanced workout.  Check it out and just get moving.

I second this.  That whole site was designed for people like you (and me, or how I was when I started)

It's finding something fun that's key.   If you find something fun and physical, it's wayyyyyy easier to find the motivation to do it.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »

I don't think pull up need to be the end all, be all of fitness, and you can be super fit without being able to do them, but they are SUCH a simple, free exercise that I am constantly challenging my female friends to give them a shot (even if all they do is hang for 10 seconds at first).

Bravo on being able to do that many chins, that's certainly not very common among women.  It's a fact that women have far less upper body mass than men, almost 50% less, that's ultimately why they aren't as good at them.  Of course there are always exceptions, but the facts are the facts.  I also agree that chins aren't really that special of an exercise...I prefer bent-over rows for real back strength, or deadlifts, especially straight-legged deadlifts.

Not that I look down on women for not being able to do a chin up or anything like that.  Let's be honest, there are very few males out there who would be interested in females with upper bodies identical to themselves!  Lower body strength is much closer to that of men and endurance levels are actually higher, though I haven't every really researched the science behind that. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »
Oh la, hunky women. Quite a turn off. It’s also mucho inconvenient when their delicate little uterus break off, and wander around their bodies. Such hysterics!

And just to avoid any sort of misunderstanding, I am indeed ridiculing your antiquated beliefs. It’s part of the reason women think they can’t to pull ups. onlykelsey's results are atypical only in the fact that she's actually working towards pull ups.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
Oh la, hunky women. Quite a turn off. It’s also mucho inconvenient when their delicate little uterus break off, and wander around their bodies. Such hysterics!

And just to avoid any sort of misunderstanding, I am indeed ridiculing your antiquated beliefs. It’s part of the reason women think they can’t to pull ups. onlykelsey's results are atypical only in the fact that she's actually working towards pull ups.

Were you drinking before you posted that?  It doesn't even make sense. 

You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8477683
http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/1/81
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17186303

Jschange

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »
My original suggestion was going to be yoga, and I stand by that....But I'm adding in that you should go to the library and check out a ton of exercise videos to get an idea of if you want to investigate:
Fitness style fitness activities
Dance style fitness activities
Martial arts
Etc.

Doing a video a day (do it for a few days consecutively then try new ones) your fifteen year old fitness will explode.

In a few weeks or a month, get a trial pass to a gym and try everything there.  Try hiking. Practice cycling and accept that you might fall.

Once you start lifting things that aren't you, then include rest days

I wish my body had fifteen year old superpowers.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »

Were you drinking before you posted that?  It doesn't even make sense. 

You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8477683
http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/1/81
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17186303
I think Sailor Sam and you agree, but you missed his sarcasm.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »

I think Sailor Sam and you agree, but you missed his sarcasm.
Can you point out the sarcasm for me?  I'm not seeing it.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
big_owl, I'm not arguing that women have fewer and smaller muscle fibers in the upper body muscles. Facts are indeed facts there.

But you are positing that the difference in fibers are the reason women struggle to do pull ups. That is not a fact, it is your opinion. All women can do a pull up if they train properly with the intention of doing a pull up and an understanding of what maximum effort means. But they don't train for pull ups, often because of the persistent fallacy that they will become 'bulky' and therefor unattractive. Because a fact you have neglected is that hypertrophy in women is not the same as in men. You have also decided you know what most men find attractive, and that just irritated me.

Thus the sarcasm. I equated the idea of bulky women to the idea of the wandering womb. A patentedly ridiculous idea about women that nonetheless persisted for centuries.

Obviously I have just reinforced a self lesson on effective communication vs satisfying a possibly immature whim.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
big_owl, I'm not arguing that women have fewer and smaller muscle fibers in the upper body muscles. Facts are indeed facts there.

But you are positing that the difference in fibers are the reason women struggle to do pull ups. That is not a fact, it is your opinion. All women can do a pull up if they train properly with the intention of doing a pull up and an understanding of what maximum effort means. But they don't train for pull ups, often because of the persistent fallacy that they will become 'bulky' and therefor unattractive. Because a fact you have neglected is that hypertrophy in women is not the same as in men. You have also decided you know what most men find attractive, and that just irritated me.

Thus the sarcasm. I equated the idea of bulky women to the idea of the wandering womb. A patentedly ridiculous idea about women that nonetheless persisted for centuries.

Obviously I have just reinforced a self lesson on effective communication vs satisfying a possibly immature whim.

Of course that's what I'm saying!  It's a fact - women have less upper body muscle, they're weaker, hence they have a more difficult time doing chins!  The same reason why women have trouble with pull-ups is the same reason they can't bench press or curl or deadlift as much as men!  Duh because they have less muscle.  And it's much harder to train for bodyweight chins because it's not like a regular BB/DB exercise where you can slowly go up in weight - unless you have access to special equipment to compensate for your body mass, it's very difficult because you're stuck with your own bodyweight from the getgo.  I never said that women can't physically do a chin-up, just that it was much more difficult for them than men...due to their smaller muscles!  You can do modified chins which is what my wife does, she could never do a single wide-grip overhand chin even given her great strength.  I'm not even sure why this is an argument, I never said it was a bad thing, it just is what it is.

We don't even need to talk about hypertrophy differences between sexes (I could quote studies showing minimal relative differences between men and women cross-sectional area gains but that would be pointless).  We could talk about hyperplasia too if we wanted to get really technical.

As far as what most men prefer...if men sexually preferred women that had as much muscle as they did then bber women who use steroids and look like freaks of nature would be a lot more popular than they are, aside from a cult fetish sort of thing.  And no I'm not talking about fitness women who are in awesome natural shape, I'm talking about women who have serious upper body muscle similar to top male athletes.  To each their own, I don't care if that's what one is in to, but I think I'm pretty safe in making the assumption that I did.

An interesting observation is that in almost every exercise, my wife can lift just about half of what I can do with the exception of squats/DLs and bench press where it's closer to 30%.  And in those cases I think it's mostly just a mental thing where she gets nervous dealing with that much weight.  Fits in very nicely in the studies that show women have about half the upper body muscle mass of men.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
Isometrics are good to start with, to build up some strength for the bodyweight exercises.

Some examples are here: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html

pitchshifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 03:02:47 AM »
+1 to Nerdfitness. I subscribed to it and read every post he had published, for about two years. By that time, it started to get overly familiar and so I kinda graduated to other stuff. But that is an excellent start and I still agree with everything he writes.

Starting Strength is also good if you are trying to lose weight and build muscle - build muscle to lose fat!

Now after maybe 5 years of constant learning, I'm on a 'movement' kick after switching to Gymnastic Bodies (gmb.io) routines. But I started not being able to do a single push up.

The hardest thing to do is start...but once you get in a routine, you realise how amazing exercise makes you feel. I hated it until I was 30+; now I can't do without it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:09:46 PM by pitchshifter »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »

An interesting observation is that in almost every exercise, my wife can lift just about half of what I can do with the exception of squats/DLs and bench press where it's closer to 30%.  And in those cases I think it's mostly just a mental thing where she gets nervous dealing with that much weight.  Fits in very nicely in the studies that show women have about half the upper body muscle mass of men.

That's odd about the lower body part. My wife is the opposite. While she lifts around 30-50% of what I do on upper body exercises, on squats it's much more. She even ways close to half what I do (120vs220) on squats she can do 225x3 while the best I've done is 365x5.

Contrary to that, on bench press the most she's done is maybe 85x6 and for me was 275x10.

I will add that my squat is disproportionately weak compared to my actual leg strength. I think it's flexibility and lower back issues. I do a much higher proportion than her on leg press, extension, and leg curls. Closer to double.

Our diets and training are identical, except she eats about 1/3.

Regarding pull-ups, the female above that posted about easily doing all those pull-ups, she is literally like the .01%. I travel all over the country for work and have been a regular at a dozen+ gyms over the last 6-8 years. I could count one one hand how many women I've seen do a pull-up. My wife has been able to do 5 at one point, and it took her a long time to get there.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 05:15:56 AM »

That's odd about the lower body part. My wife is the opposite. While she lifts around 30-50% of what I do on upper body exercises, on squats it's much more. She even ways close to half what I do (120vs220) on squats she can do 225x3 while the best I've done is 365x5.

Contrary to that, on bench press the most she's done is maybe 85x6 and for me was 275x10.

I will add that my squat is disproportionately weak compared to my actual leg strength. I think it's flexibility and lower back issues. I do a much higher proportion than her on leg press, extension, and leg curls. Closer to double.

Our diets and training are identical, except she eats about 1/3.

Regarding pull-ups, the female above that posted about easily doing all those pull-ups, she is literally like the .01%. I travel all over the country for work and have been a regular at a dozen+ gyms over the last 6-8 years. I could count one one hand how many women I've seen do a pull-up. My wife has been able to do 5 at one point, and it took her a long time to get there.

At the old age of 35 I can squat around 405lb these days if I really try, so my wife would need to squat around 315lb for the ratio to hold up.  I haven't even seen a girl squat 3 plates on each side of the bar in any gym I've ever been to.  I'm sure they're out there somewhere but it would have to be someone really serious about powerlifting I'm guessing.  Another reason I suspect is that squats obviously require a lot of back (upper body) strength so it's not just about legs.  That and I don't think my wife actually cares to squat that much - it would be really intimidating for her to have that much weight on her back.

Funny thing is that her legs are almost as big as mine.  A good part of that is subcutaneous fat since she's a woman and has far more of that than I do. 

We are much closer to strength in calf raises though.

My wife can't do the BB bench press since it hurts her shoulders so she sticks to incline DBs - so it's hard to compare to a flat BB bench.

Yes I agree the lady further up would be like a 0.01%-er.  I'd actually be a bit skeptical without actually seeing it myself, given the minimal training she says she's done.  Maybe she's just a freak of nature though.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »
You might want to use the 'throw down the gauntlet' section of this forum to give yourself the challenge and maybe a couple of others to do this with and the posting responsibility for accountability and motivation. Good luck, but as others have said, just start doing something. Your body wants to be in motion, needs to be. It is your brain that is the biggest obstacle right now (and will continue to be) until you train it.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »
I'm not sure why this post (by a teenaged boy looking for fitness tips) became a referendum on whether women who were athletic were attractive to the straight men on this forum. 

It seems sort of irrelevant.  Women may not be in to men at all, or have decided their fitness is more important to them.  It's a strange experience reading all of the opinions here about women's appearance and what it should be, while I'm also watching a thread on the "pink tax" where folks are insisting women can avoid expensive clothing, nails, hair, shoes, etc by just focusing on what actually matters, and that being judged on appearance isn't a thing, or is just as big of a problem for men as it is for women.

Yes I agree the lady further up would be like a 0.01%-er.  I'd actually be a bit skeptical without actually seeing it myself, given the minimal training she says she's done.  Maybe she's just a freak of nature though.

A few years ago I got in to aerial silks (think cirque du soleil) and have watched 20 or 30 non-athletic late 20s-late 30s women go from not being able to hang by their hands to doing five pullups on silk (which requires a harder grip and which is a dynamic exercise, I imagine it translates to about 8 pull ups on a bar).  I really think a lot of women have a weird mental bloc around pullups and chinups which holds them back.  As my female silks teacher would say, "Good news!  You don't have to like pull-ups.  You just have to do to them."  For whatever reason, it takes women longer to come around to that approach with upper body exercises, in my experience.  I have the definite advantage of being relatively lean (maybe 20% body fat if I'm not working out), but even when I'm in serious pull up beast mode, I'm a size 2 petite (or maybe 4 petite).

pizarro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:25 AM »
 If you’re looking how to start do Bodyweight Exercises, check this article http://fitnesstips-4u.com/complete-calisthenics-workout-for-beginners/

HMM12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
I just saw a great workout. In the corner of a room do 20 burpees, then move to the next corner and do 19, keep moving to the next corner until you only have a 1 burpee set left.