Author Topic: Board Game Suggestions?  (Read 45176 times)

Davin

• Stubble
Re: Board Game Suggestions?
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
Seeing this thread come up again, I though of another simple game I play sometimes. I call it "Telephone" (possibly needs a better name).

Basically, you have N players, each with N index cards. At the beginning, each player writes a sentence on the card. Then you pass the whole stack to the left. Then the receiving player draws a picture based on that sentence, and puts the sentence card on the bottom. Pass to the left. Write a sentence describing the picture. etc. (obviously you do not want to look at anything except the top card you receive)

Play continues until you have the stack of cards you started with. Then go around the table, showing the series of sentences and pictures you got. There is no "winner". It can be a lot of fun.

We play this game a lot at parties. It can be as much fun as cards against humanity, but is more mustachian because all you really need is cut up scrap paper and some pens or pencils. Everyone we play with calls the game "telephone pictionary."

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
Seeing this thread come up again, I though of another simple game I play sometimes. I call it "Telephone" (possibly needs a better name).

Basically, you have N players, each with N index cards. At the beginning, each player writes a sentence on the card. Then you pass the whole stack to the left. Then the receiving player draws a picture based on that sentence, and puts the sentence card on the bottom. Pass to the left. Write a sentence describing the picture. etc. (obviously you do not want to look at anything except the top card you receive)

Play continues until you have the stack of cards you started with. Then go around the table, showing the series of sentences and pictures you got. There is no "winner". It can be a lot of fun.

We play this game a lot at parties. It can be as much fun as cards against humanity, but is more mustachian because all you really need is cut up scrap paper and some pens or pencils. Everyone we play with calls the game "telephone pictionary."

++1 for Telephone Pictionary

It's completely free (minus the scraps of paper & pencils), and it's hilarious. I've definitely laughed until I cried playing this game.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
We have been playing board games a fair bit this year.  I thought I would update game reviews...
We are a family with 2 kids, now 12 and 14.

These games sit at the front of the cabinet or near the family room game playing area in easy reach:
Ticket to ride - EVERYONE loves / votes for this when we can't agree on another.
Rumikub  / Tile Rummy
Puerto Rico --a trading / build your own island town / ship goods game.  This one is fast becoming a preferred game for everyone, the more we play the more the kids get into it.  Very well balanced, rules easy to understand like Settlers, but has some good complexity in strategy if you like that.
Settlers of Catan -- we played it so much, it has been temporarily retired...  we need an expansion pack to perk it up now..
Entdekker -- good exploration themed tile game, with a bit of luck thrown in at the end so the winner can shift suddenly.
Urban Sprawl --  Like SimCity original, as a boardgame... ADULT  12+ as it is very complex (too complex) and long until you know the rules and / or have a fast playing crowd.    We played 3 times before playing to the end.   It is fun even if you stop halfway or based on the clock.   there is an element of luck that true strategy gamers don't like, but it twists and turns the game into unexpected directions.
Agricola   Very good game, well executed visuals and pieces,  but not yet a favorite as it has some complexity to it that we need to play it more to learn better.  NOT for young kids.   14 yr old does not like to think through the strategy, and prefers games with more chance elements than this one.     Played again last night and 12 yo had an amazing time playing out his strategy.   

Other games
Quiddler card game -- excellent travel word game, short rounds, cards easy to play, good for airports, stuck in car for 6 hours will waiting for road to clear... etc.

Clue -- kids need to be 10 or older to understand how to give truthful responses/ not get confused.  Very disappointing when someone forgets that they are supposed to show you a card when they say they have none.
Monopoly (I hate, kids LOVE)  Way too simple to win based on just a couple of rule and a couple of lucky dice throws in the first half hour... then it takes forever to play out.
Yahtzee and variations -- what can I say?  Dice Game great for all ages and very good with drinks.  Good math skills for 8 year olds, etc.
Apples to Apples -- kids love it, but you need the right group to play to get it going for adults, then it can be fun and fast party game.  Two seconds to learn to play and good for a group, where people can join / drop out as they like.
Cranium -- like pictionary, charades and word / trivia games in one, great party game if played with teams of mixed ages.
Game of Life  and Trouble   easy for younger kids, as no strategy and lots going on to keep you entertained.

Games I (still) like that no one else will play with me often: Scrabble, Careers, most card games (Euchre, Hearts, spoons, etc)

Games others love:  Go (Go is better than Chess IMO) and Chess, Manicola, Axis and Allies (I have an agressive dislike for this one, although Risk is oK.  I want to try Pandemic next...it sounds like the exact opposite of the slow torture of playing Axis and Allies.)

No one seems to like Trival pursuit type and trivia games anymore. -- the "Big Bang Theory" game for example, was a big bust.  Bought second hand and going right back as donation.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
I struggle with Agricola because by the time the turns are exhausted, I'm only just getting my household running efficiently and the end game is simply counting up points.  I really want to like it but every time I play it just ends up slightly dissatisfying.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
More votes for Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride.

A couple of others Railroad Baron which I liked a bit better than Ticket to Ride.
An interesting cooperative game is Republic of Rome although maybe too complicated for 9 year olds

Also there are fair number of games based on TV shows and movies if DH is into them.  The Star Trek version of Settlers looks like fun.  I recently picked up Battlestar Galactica where you try to figure out who is the Cylon spy, while keeping the battlestar alive.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »
I struggle with Agricola because by the time the turns are exhausted, I'm only just getting my household running efficiently and the end game is simply counting up points.  I really want to like it but every time I play it just ends up slightly dissatisfying.
I definitely felt the same the first couple of times,like you have to give up on a half grown child at the game end.  After 3 plays, you know what to expect, and set up your strategy from the start planning for it,and that feeling goes away.   Keep trying is my opinion.  I was surprised how much my DS liked it yesterday.

tracylayton

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
I love Jenga...fun and not a lot of rules. Dominoes is another favorite. I've heard Apples to Apples is fun.

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
I consider the staples to be:

Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
7 Wonders

Then extremely popular games that are almost staples:
Terra Mystica (not cheap)
Agricola
Small World

Then games that we've played a TON and still love:
Castles of Burgundy
Seasons

I would also recommend Hearts and Spades as two card games for M9 to learn. Not only are they fun, but knowing how to play has been a very useful life skill for me in a variety of situations.

People already mentioned BoardGameGeek as a good source of ideas. There's also a fairly popular Youtube show called "Tabletop" that can give you an idea of how some games play. Seattle is basically Mecca for board gamers with some of the best game stores in the US with the classic being Card Kingdom which I'd recommend checking out next time you are in town. They'll also typically have something like 100-200 games you can borrow and play for free.

To preserve money, people are usually happy to loan games or temporarily exchange games. We've loaned out 2 of our games at the moment for different sets of neighbors to play at home a few times and then we'll get together and all play several times. I've found board games a great way to have fun, relatively inexpensive especially if you pool resources with friends and neighbors and don't all buy the same games, and a great way to get to know people better. Its also a great way to build relationships at work for those who are still working, there are a lot of people at my company I wouldn't know who they were without the weekly lunchtime Dominion game.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
Since this is a forum based around frugality and thrift, I've been looking for fun print and play games lately.  A lot of print and plays are either 1 or 2 player games, which since 99% of the time we want to play games is just me and my wife means they are more valuable to me in daily use than the big $50+ dollar games.

So far, I've printed up one, the files are setup for A3 paper, but someone made a letter size game board and the card files scale down just fine to letter size and print.  You only need two sets of same color tokens (or coins or whatever).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153999/and-then-we-held-hands

It is a 2-player cooperative game with some hand management and movement elements. 

Anyone have any other suggestions for fun print and play games?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »
Dominion and cribbage are favorites. I was also FASCINATED by mancala as a kid. It was the first game I could really grasp and develop strategy for. Plus, shiny rocks helped.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
My kids are both 8 and we all love the following: ticket to ride (train building), settlers( town building/ trading), scatter gorier (vocabulary building word game) and Clue.  Ps.. I can't stand risk or monopoly either.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
Didn't take time to read all thru, but here are some we enjoy...

Go
Mexican Train (domino based)
Farkle
Mancala

Buy a Hoyle book for lots of rules of various card games.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
I don't think I remembered to mention it here before so just in case, although not a board game per se, Rory's Story Cubes are great. Nine cubes with different pictures on them and there are variations on how to play. For example, the basic one is that you roll all nine and have to make up a story using every image that shows. I love the video for Ways to Play #4 on their website, so cute.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
We are currently trying out a Japanese game called tradgedy Looper.
I still don't understand it.

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
There is a Monopoly card game now. All of the fun of Monopoly, none of the night long games...

As for other card games:

Magic the Gathering(WARNING! STAY CASUAL or this becomes very AntiMustachian very quickly!!!)
Phase 10
Hand and Foot- you need LOTS of regular decks for this one, and the rules are hard to find, but totally worth it for parties.
Pit: The trading game (1! 1! 3! 3! DING!)
Cribbage
MUNCHKIN

As for board games:
Robo Rally
Parchessi
I saw Pandemic was entered several times, I totally recommend
Miskatonic School for Girls
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Talisman

joat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
+1 for Munchkin. I like that items and battles can easily move people from first to last or from last to first so no one really dominates the game. It can drag on a bit, but some of the expansions can help with that since they can make it easy to get a large number of attack bonuses (therefore making it harder to stop people from winning battles and reaching level 10).

Also, if you're a fan of The Oatmeal, check out http://www.explodingkittens.com/

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
Help me out here, folks.

I see all kinds of recommendations for Ticket To Ride.  I saw that Target has a coupon this week for $10 off any game purchase over $30.  I went in to load up my REDcard and thought I would check to see how much they wanted for TTR.  The gal at the customer service desk said Target will do price matching, even if it is online retailers like Amazon.  The Target I went to has 2 versions: US and Europe.  Instead of the $49.99 they want, if they price match it would be $36.99.  Then $10 off, plus 5% off for using my Target card, so after tax it is just under $29.  Seems like a great deal.

I thought about buying the Europe version, and was actually on my way to the checkout when I got to thinking "Why am I buying this game?!?!"  I mean, I LOVE games, but $29 is still a lot (even if it would normally cost me a bit more).  Is it really THAT awesome?

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
It is very good. In the world of board games that aren't Monopoly or Life, etc. $29 is a very good price for a game.

Not that it might make a difference, but I think Cartwheel has an additional 10% off board games this week, too.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
Help me out here, folks.

I see all kinds of recommendations for Ticket To Ride.  I saw that Target has a coupon this week for $10 off any game purchase over $30.  I went in to load up my REDcard and thought I would check to see how much they wanted for TTR.  The gal at the customer service desk said Target will do price matching, even if it is online retailers like Amazon.  The Target I went to has 2 versions: US and Europe.  Instead of the $49.99 they want, if they price match it would be $36.99.  Then $10 off, plus 5% off for using my Target card, so after tax it is just under $29.  Seems like a great deal.

I thought about buying the Europe version, and was actually on my way to the checkout when I got to thinking "Why am I buying this game?!?!"  I mean, I LOVE games, but $29 is still a lot (even if it would normally cost me a bit more). Is it really THAT awesome?

I'm with you.  For Christmas I got the family Pandemic and Settlers of Catan.  They're totally over them.  Sigh.  Even as I ordered them on Amazon, I was thinking, "I'm paying WHAT for WHAT?"  Maybe we're just not board-gamers.

The next time we decide to play a board game I'm going to propose we make our own game out of materials in the junk drawer, recycling and office cabinet. 

...on the plus side,  when Settlers of Catan was joked about in a Broads City episode, I got the joke and laughed.  So there's that.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Well, games are like anything else. Cost is relative. A game bought for $40 will be played over and over again in this house, likely over 100 times if we really like it. Spread out over time, the cost is nothing compared to a movie that's over and done in 2 hours or two games of bowling, for example. But we really enjoy games and it's how we choose to spend much of our free time.

If you're not as into them or your family tires of games quickly, then the cost is higher for you and may not be as worth it. Only you can decide that for sure. If you're just looking to get into games or to see if your family will respond positively, though, $30 for Ticket to Ride is a good price to see if you enjoy it. You probably won't find it much cheaper.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
Well, games are like anything else. Cost is relative. A game bought for $40 will be played over and over again in this house, likely over 100 times if we really like it. Spread out over time, the cost is nothing compared to a movie that's over and done in 2 hours or two games of bowling, for example. But we really enjoy games and it's how we choose to spend much of our free time.

If you're not as into them or your family tires of games quickly, then the cost is higher for you and may not be as worth it. Only you can decide that for sure. If you're just looking to get into games or to see if your family will respond positively, though, $30 for Ticket to Ride is a good price to see if you enjoy it. You probably won't find it much cheaper.

I agree.  It's like a pair of jeans - $100 and you wear it 1x/week for ten years - that's better than a $10 pair worn once. 

Fortunately for us, a local cafe does a board game night on Fridays.  We often go down there to play.  We get to see what we like and what we don't like - totally for free.  I'll ask the organizer to bring Ticket to Ride next time.

What I've discovered is this: for me personally, $ has to be on the line for it to be interesting.  I know - that's not ideal but it is what it is.

Rumor has it that a Texas Hold Em regular game might start up.   I can hardly wait.  I've tried to put one together myself but my friends either won't risk a penny on gambling or they say, "maybe, but I don't know the rules."  Gah.  I need my Silicon Valley ladies poker crew to fly out here so I can play!!!!

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »
Rampage
Sorry
Battleship

We have 8 and 6 year olds. 

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
We do a lot of print and play games. Boardgamegeek.com has a ton of threads that recommend some of the better PnP games.

My 9 year old and I like strategy games. Micropul is an awesome PnP game that only requires two pieces of cardstock. It's simple to learn and a quick play. it's a 2 person game, but you can stretch it to 4 person by printing a second deck. http://neutralbox.com/micropul/index.html

Space junk is another popular PnP game here, but it's a pain to print and assemble. I find that play gets tedious but the guys all like it. A ton of cards and pieces. This is an evolving board game -- each play the set up of the game board changes completely. Basically, everyone is rushing to build the biggest space station from floating junk on the game board.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
Help me out here, folks.

I thought about buying the Europe version, and was actually on my way to the checkout when I got to thinking "Why am I buying this game?!?!"  I mean, I LOVE games, but $29 is still a lot (even if it would normally cost me a bit more).  Is it really THAT awesome?

Games are definitely dependent on taste, so you may not end up enjoying Ticket to Ride. But I find it's a really simple game to teach new players (a very logical easy-to-remember game mechanic), and it goes relatively fast, and you can still hold a conversation while playing. It's the one game my sister will play besides Cards Against Humanity and word games (and we also got the Nordic version because it's a bit more challenging/interesting for two players). And if you find you don't enjoy it, re-gift it or donate it to a local coffee shop or somewhere where people hang out and might enjoy it.

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the FIRE life pre-FIRE
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
Sentinels of the Multiverse is an awesome collaborative card game- you and your family act as a team of superheroes, fighting off villains as you support each other and build more powerful decks. Very different from Monopoly and Risk, easy to understand (though it may take some time to wrap your head around some of the more advanced characters), and a ton of fun!

Royale with Moustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
Rampage

We have 8 and 6 year olds.

If you are talking about the game I think you are, I believe it has been renamed "Terror in Meeple City", certainly not a deep strategic game by any means, but it can be a lot of fun

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »
We recently had a ton of fun playing Wise and Otherwise. Though I questioned if the phrases were weird (because they were SO out there.)

It is really expensive though, so we have not purchased our own copy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
It can be as much fun as cards against humanity, but is more mustachian because all you really need is cut up scrap paper and some pens or pencils.

Cards against humanity is available as a free PDF, so it's pretty darn mustachian.  Print it on the back of scrap paper using "draft" setting, if you want to save on ink.  (I spent $5 to have it printed on cardstock at the local print shop.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
Last night, we were playing "Headbanz" with the kids and I asked where we got it from. The kids remembered that one of the older kids received it as a gift a few years ago. A quick google search shows me that we could pick up a brand new version for $12-14. But then I was thinking, all it is is a headband and a word/picture. How easy would it be to make your own version of this?!!

I've NEVER thought of games this way before. Thanks for getting my creative juices flowing, everyone!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »
On New Year's Eve we played Cards Against Humanity.  I was crying laughing.  I won - cuz I clearly had the sickest mind of anyone at the table.

I love this game beyond belief. Certainly not kid friendly! But when you have a good group of friends and a couple of beers, this can be the funnest and funniest game out there. There are quite a few memories with my friends... "remember when you played those two cards together? That was the worst!" If you don't feel like a terrible person after, you're not doing it right.

Lots of people recommending Catan, which I also definitely recommend, but there is the issue of price - definitely can get expensive. You can actually play for free on playcatan.com with other people. Benefits are you don't have to actually set the board up and break it down, and if you play with slowpokes you can set a timer. Plus, you can play with family and friends elsewhere (I play with a friend up in Boston all the time - I'm in NY). Playing with 3-4 people on the base game is free (you can play with random people too). I think there are options to buy the ability to play with AI or expansions, but I really haven't looked into that.

If anyone wants to play online (or if you want me to teach you!) shoot me a pm!

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
A note on Cards Against Humanity -- We made a family friendlier version at the request of our son (who had overheard raucous adult laughter when he was supposed to be asleep). Most of the black cards are "safe," we just weeded out the inappropriate ones from the free deck. He and his brother spent an afternoon making their own white answer cards using the free template provided online. Lots of grade school level potty humor, but well worth it to see a 9 year old almost pee his pants.

Another fun and free game if you have an iphone (might be available on Android, too): Charades!
It's basically like Hedbanz, except you use the phone instead of the cards and bands. There are paid upgrades, but you can totally skip them because you'll eventually unlock them anyway since each game you play earns you points. It usually takes about four rounds to unlock a new topic, so we've never been tempted to pay for an upgrade.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
I love this thread!  Lots of great ideas.  My hubby claims he does not like board games although he used to humor me by playing and I did like Blokus and Carcassone.  I've started my 3 year old with Uno Moo! and Press Here games, we played Headbanz a year ago but I think we'll try that again.  I have now added a few kid-friendly games to my wish list for the future, thanks to all here.  I only have a couple recommendations, I agree with Apples to Apples, have only played with adult groups but it is one of my favorites.  Also Hoopla, it is a Cranium game but smaller and more portable so we take it when we are traveling with a group, probably for older teens and adults.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
A note on Cards Against Humanity -- We made a family friendlier version at the request of our son (who had overheard raucous adult laughter when he was supposed to be asleep). Most of the black cards are "safe," we just weeded out the inappropriate ones from the free deck. He and his brother spent an afternoon making their own white answer cards using the free template provided online. Lots of grade school level potty humor, but well worth it to see a 9 year old almost pee his pants.

Great Mustachian solution! But for those who don't know, CAH was based off the game Apples to Apples, which is the very is the very PG rated game (or can be, at least). CAH was born because immature people (like me) made Apples to Apples terrible, so why not capitalize it and make an actually terrible game?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Apples to Apples doesn't have potty humor though. So having kids make their own "inappropriate" (but safe for kids) game is a good idea for cards against humanity.

(I'll admit, our CAH deck is sanitized. We often play at neighborhood gatherings with strangers. There are just a few cards in there that are a bit too much for me to bring to that kind of event!)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »
Apples to Apples doesn't have potty humor though. So having kids make their own "inappropriate" (but safe for kids) game is a good idea for cards against humanity.

(I'll admit, our CAH deck is sanitized. We often play at neighborhood gatherings with strangers. There are just a few cards in there that are a bit too much for me to bring to that kind of event!)

My sister also removed cards from her deck so that our 13-year-old cousin could play. It worked out really well. The 'test' for whether or not a card could stay in was "what if her dad walks in while we're playing" and that was a good way of doing it and it was still hilarious. My sister has literally all of the expansion packs of white cards, so it took a while, but was worth it.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
The best Cards Against Humanity combo I have ever seen is this: 

The card said: "In the beginning there was ___________, and God said 'Let there be ____________. '"

The cards played were "moral ambiguity" and "friends with benefits."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!