Author Topic: Beans and Rice  (Read 9976 times)

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Beans and Rice
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
What do you add to your black beans and rice?  Mine always come out a little bland unless I use Goya beans, which is not always an option.  Any spice blend preferences?  Secret sauces?

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Black Beans and Rice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:55 PM »
Sorry if this post comes up twice- it crashed during posting!

What do you add to your black beans and rice to make it tasty?  Any preferred spice blends?  Mine come out a little bland unless I use Goya beans, which aren't always an option.  Thanks!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Black Beans and Rice
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
Just started making this using the following:

half bag of black beans (32 ounce, so 16 ounces) soak overnight, rinse, then add into pot.

Dice 1 medium/large onion
garlic (either 2-3 cloves or tablespoon or two of powder but we sometimes add WAY more)
chili powder (1-2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

(salt and pepper to taste when finished)

Add enough water to cover +1 inch above bean level. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 2-3 hours on low heat until beans are tender, stirring every 15 minutes or so and checking liquid levels and adding more if beans look dry.

For eating, we add either a handful (roughly 1/4 cup) of shredded cheese (usually sharp cheddar), or slice/shred up some pepper jack and add to a bowl serving of beans/rice mixture, heating it up so the cheese is melted into the mix and then stir well to blend all the flavors.

We make this several times a month and are always sad when it's gone. But it is SO easy since it requires minimal prep and just occasional stirring while cooking.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:57:43 AM by Frankies Girl »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
Onions, tomato paste, and the key spice mix: berbere (It's Ethiopian. It's delicious. Do it. Thank me later)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
earl campbell sausage
Hot damn, makes it AWESOME.
making me hungry ;)

newton

• Stubble
Re: Beans and Rice
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
I like adding spicy salsa.  I add after the rice has cooked and it cools it down so I can eat it faster.  Love it. 

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »
I am making black beans and rice right now! Adding 2.5 bell peppers, salsa, and sofrito. That's all I have left in the fridge lol.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
A smoked ham hock.  They're usually found in the frozen meat section of the grocery store.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »
I like cajun 'dirty rice' - and add the following seasonings to a pot of 4-cups soaked pinto beans, and 2 cups brown rice. 
I add Quorn vegetarian chicken nuggets, and 1/3 cup of marinara sauce.  Sometimes I also add a can of diced organic tomatoes.

Dirty Rice Seasoning Mix:
2 t. cayenne pepper,
1.5 t. ea. salt & black pepper,
1.25 t. sweet paprika,
1 t. ea. dry mustard & ground cumin,
1/2 t. ea. dried thyme & oregano leaves

If it turns out too spicy for your tastes, you can always add more rice. 

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
I add  sriracha sauce if I'm feeling lazy. Salsa and fresh avocado if I'm feeling industrious.

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
I generally include one or more of the following:
  • Cholula hot sauce
  • roasted corn
  • lemon or lime juice
  • cilantro
  • cumin
  • garlic (heat and add rice in)
  • onion (heat and add rice in)
  • canned fire-roasted tomatoes (heat and add rice in)
  • cook rice with chicken/vegetable/bouillon broth
  • sliced avocado
I throw in whatever's in my fridge/whatever's in easy reach. You can experiment a bit to see what combos you prefer.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »

half bag of black beans (32 ounce, so 16 ounces) soak overnight, rinse, then add into pot.

garlic (either 2-3 cloves or tablespoon or two of powder but we sometimes add WAY more)
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin

Add enough water to cover +1 inch above bean level. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 2-3 hours on low heat until beans are tender, stirring every 15 minutes or so and checking liquid levels and adding more if beans look dry.

For eating, we add either a handful (roughly 1/4 cup) of shredded cheese (usually sharp cheddar), or slice/shred up some pepper jack and add to a bowl serving of beans/rice mixture, heating it up so the cheese is melted into the mix and then stir well to blend all the flavors.

We make this several times a month and are always sad when it's gone. But it is SO easy since it requires minimal prep and just occasional stirring while cooking.
I LOVE this idea. Thank you!

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
Onions, tomato paste, and the key spice mix: berbere (It's Ethiopian. It's delicious. Do it. Thank me later)

I actually have some berbere from Penzeys that I've never used.  I'll try it.  Thanks!

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
I like cajun 'dirty rice' - and add the following seasonings to a pot of 4-cups soaked pinto beans, and 2 cups brown rice. 
I add Quorn vegetarian chicken nuggets, and 1/3 cup of marinara sauce.  Sometimes I also add a can of diced organic tomatoes.

Dirty Rice Seasoning Mix:
2 t. cayenne pepper,
1.5 t. ea. salt & black pepper,
1.25 t. sweet paprika,
1 t. ea. dry mustard & ground cumin,
1/2 t. ea. dried thyme & oregano leaves

If it turns out too spicy for your tastes, you can always add more rice.

I now have THREE tasty bean recipes to try!  Thank you!

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
This thread is amazing.  Thanks to everyone for replying!  Keep it coming!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
I usually stuff poblanos with black beans and cotija cheese. Chili powder, garlic salt, a little onion powder, and some cumin work nicely for that.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 08:59:45 AM »
PTF..gonna steal all these delicious recipes :)

ATR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
Rice: garlic, onion, bell pepper, salt. After I saute the veggies, I throw in the rice and "toast" it before adding the water. It brings out a really delicious and nutty flavor.
Beans: The beans get the usual treatment (soaked then boiled) but are finished with cilantro. FYI - we are into small red beans as opposed to black. 

We eat beans and rice several times a week. Its a great make-ahead meal and can be used in so many ways. Our favorite dinner is beans and rice with a fried egg on top!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:37 AM »

I actually have some berbere from Penzeys that I've never used.  I'll try it.  Thanks!
I'm a huge fan of Penzeys.  I'm not far from their headquarters.  I've even applied to work there.  I'll get some berbere when I replenish my S/4 (smoked) salt.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

I'm a huge fan of Penzeys.  I'm not far from their headquarters.  I've even applied to work there.  I'll get some berbere when I replenish my S/4 (smoked) salt.

Penzeys!  I go through the giant jars of their Sunny Paris mix at a shocking rate.  OMG, and their smoked paprika!  Guess I will be adding some of their berbere mix next time I order.

msmargarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
I make one big pot at the beginning of the week, with equal parts beans and diced tomatoes, diced onions, and sprinkle in a few TB chia seeds for added protein.  Then I add spices only to the portion I'm eating.  Day 1 - add cajun spices for red beans and rice; Day 2 - add taco seasoning, shredded cheese and greek yogurt for taco bowls; Day 3 - if there is any leftover, mix with shredded pork or chicken for burritos.  Cheap, easy, and by making the main dish without spice you can add it to smaller portions and have a different meal every day.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Have you tried Yumm sauce? It's from Eugene, Oregon, and when we moved away I dreamed of that stuff. This copycat recipe is pretty close. I tell you this stuff is magic.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/50HjDfW/the-original-yumm-bowl-recipe-from-cafe-/

Put it on black beans and brown rice, add chopped tomatoes and avocado, and cilantro. I like mine on a tortilla.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
And black olives

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
We have not been a family that ate homemade black beans and rice happily.   My kids have always enjoyed beans and rice made "professionally" (as they put it) by restaurants.

This Christmas we received a pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and the kids have snarfed up any bean recipe I have made in it!   They say the flavor gets more into the beans, this way, compared with the slow cooker method.

Here's the first recipe we used that was a hit:  (I did make my own picante sauce)

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-mexican-black-beans-and-rice

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:15 AM »
PTF..gonna steal all these delicious recipes :)

+1 - Yesterday was my "plan meals for next week" day, so this was perfect timing!

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »

+1111111111111111111111111

Berbere is the BEST.  I haven't tried it on beans yet, only dry peas or chicken, but I WILL NOW

Genius.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
Black Beans are my family's Christmas tradition. I make a sofrito of onions, bell peppers and garlic. Then add a seasoning blend called Sazon Completa. Fantastic!

makinbutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
"salsa lisano" which is i swear the national condiment of Costa Rica.  Beans + rice + Salsa Lisano was like 1/3 of every plate I had there.

It also tastes fantastic and you can find it at any "ethnic" grocer

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Update on the beans and rice situation:

1. I used canned beans and berbere seasoning.  DH liked the seasoning.  I did not love the canned bean texture. 

I tried again.

2. Used dried beans in a crock pot with chicken broth.  After beans were done, I threw them on the stove with sautéed onions, green peppers, and garlic AND Penzey's Arizona Dreaming blend.  Wow!  This blend is perfect for black beans!  Also instead of using rice (which I keep seeing is full of arsenic) I used quinoa as the base (Beans + Quinoa = beanoa [Bean-Waw]).  Delish!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »

1. I used canned beans and berbere seasoning.  DH liked the seasoning.  I did not love the canned bean texture. 

I tried again.

2. Used dried beans in a crock pot with chicken broth.  After beans were done, I threw them on the stove with sautéed onions, green peppers, and garlic AND Penzey's Arizona Dreaming blend.  Wow!  This blend is perfect for black beans!  Also instead of using rice (which I keep seeing is full of arsenic) I used quinoa as the base (Beans + Quinoa = beanoa [Bean-Waw]).  Delish!

I know I just said this a few days ago, but PENZEY'S!!!!  IS THE BOMB!!!

Yeah, AZ Dreaming is my go to for beans, eggs, meat if I want a no-salt mix.

PermaculturePumpkin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
"salsa lisano" which is i swear the national condiment of Costa Rica.  Beans + rice + Salsa Lisano was like 1/3 of every plate I had there.

It also tastes fantastic and you can find it at any "ethnic" grocer

Yes, I was going to suggest this too! When I was in Costa Rica several years ago I fell in love with this dish, called Gallo Pinto (Spotted Rooster). The key is Salsa Lizano, which you should be able to find in ethnic grocery stores without too much trouble. Here is the full recipe: https://www.foodwine.com/destinations/costarica/gallo-pinto.html

Bonus: Beans + Rice together form a complete protein, so good for vegetarians.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:32:31 AM by PermaculturePumpkin »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
I gotta follow this thread - been thinking about doing more rice & beans.

I liked the rice & beans in Cuba... called "Moros y Cristianos" ...lots of recipes online.   Lots of garlic and added bacon!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
I like this recipe: http://www.jellibeanjournals.com/caribbean-rice-beans/

I up the beans and us black beans if I can't find small red beans.  Kidney beans are totally the wrong kind of bean

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 09:55:46 PM »
Nutritional yeast.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »
Here's a quick recipe using Salsa Lizano:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/05/dinner-tonight-gallo-pinto.html

I also like beans with Az Dreaming from Penney's or with Cowboy Caviar from Trader Joe's.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »
I frequently add vegetables when cooking beans to improve flavor and increase my family's vegetable intake. I often add celery, onions, green peppers and tomatoes. Also, I fry in olive oil 3-4 minced cloves of garlic and add it to the beans once they're cooked and season all of it with salt and grounded black pepper.

If you're not vegetarian you can cook beans with a small piece of sausage to improve taste. You want to look for a sausage with fat that "melts" better when cooking, since some sausages pass little taste to the beans (dice the sausages or at least poke holes in it before cooking).

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin

I followed this method over the weekend with pinto beans and pressure cooked them. Mixed them with brown rice, some queso fresco, and fresh salsa for lunches.

Other than needing some salt, I can confirm that this is truly yummy, filling, and super healthy. I think my body is just giddy from all the vitamins. :-)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »

1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin

I followed this method over the weekend with pinto beans and pressure cooked them. Mixed them with brown rice, some queso fresco, and fresh salsa for lunches.

Other than needing some salt, I can confirm that this is truly yummy, filling, and super healthy. I think my body is just giddy from all the vitamins. :-)

oops. I meant to put in "salt and pepper to taste" because yeah, definitely needs both. Went back and added. :)

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
I have been eating rice and beans all week.  Yesterday I cooked up a little chicken and made burritos with the leftover rice, beans, and a little quac on top.  Amazing. 

I don't own a pressure cooker but I keep hearing about it.  Tell me why you love yours. 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »

What brand of berbere do you recommend?  Probably need to keep it to medium spice because of my kids.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
I don't remember offhand the brand of berbere I am using, but it is on the spicier side. You could always cut it with something like sour cream, or just use less spice/more tomato paste?

Cindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »

I tried again.

This thread is great! Since you mentioned quinoa, I'll throw in this recipe that I love:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49552/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »
I don't own a pressure cooker but I keep hearing about it.  Tell me why you love yours.

Check out any one of the Instant Pot threads here and you'll hear all about it. :-) I just got one on the Black Friday special this past November, and the benefits I've seen are:
1. Cooks beans from dry (no soaking) in half an hour or so.
2. Cooks rice like a rice cooker.
3. Allows you to walk away and ignore your food, you don't need to babysit and stir.

I've known people to do things like ribs and Boston butt in a pressure cooker - much faster cooking, and the meat is very tender (ribs are then browned on the grill). A friend has cooked large roasts from frozen in his, so if you tend to hit dinner time and realize that all your meat is still frozen, you can still cook it and not get stuck ordering takeout.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
Cojita cheese, sautéed onions plus a bunch of chili powder and whatever hot sauce i have on hand.

Oh, and i've figured out that you don't have to soak beans overnight. I just rinse them, put them in the dutch oven, cover with water about an inch, and stick them in the oven at 325 for about 1 hour 45 mins. Add a little more water around 1 hour if its getting low.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
you all are referring to soaking beans overnight and then cooking them in the crockpot?

Or in an instant pot?

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
you all are referring to soaking beans overnight and then cooking them in the crockpot?

I'm referencing not soaking beans overnight and cooking them in a dutch oven.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »

1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

(salt and pepper to taste when finished)

Made this last night and added quinoa (our rice substitute). SO YUMMY and a great base for our taco bowls especially when adding shredded taco-seasoned chicken from the crockpot.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
What does this group say..should I soak my pinto beans before Cooking them in a crock pot? I've never done this before and want to do it tonight. I don't have an instant pot. But I have a pound of dry pints and water!
Whatcha think

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
I make my rice using veggie broth or a veggie bullion cube- it makes all the difference in flavor