Author Topic: Biking when your pregnant  (Read 6835 times)

sdp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Biking when your pregnant
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »
My wife is 3 months pregnant and is just beginning to show.  We have been biking all along, but now that she has to start telling people she is pregnant, they are appalled she is still biking and urge her to start driving!  There is a whole bunch of evidence that staying active and excercising is way more healthy for the baby, ect.......I don't need to tell YOU guys,  But anyway, how do you approach this with not so close friends?  what do you guys say that is quick and concise, to get them off your back?
Cheers,
Scott

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
Re: Biking when your pregnant
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
I'd say something like, "i asked my doctor and he says it's ok."

I'm guessing this is your first, or it's been a while between kids, but get used to it. People, especially those without kids, feel the need to tell you what to do. UA will follow you. Don't dare let her eat hot dogs, seafood, wine, lunch meat, etc in public. Oh and wait until the baby is born!! I still get the stink eye while out with my 3yr old and 18month old because i'm doing x, y or z. Best advice is ignore them and move on or you'll be one pissed off mo fo.

Good luck and congrats!!!

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
I rode (and jumped) horses until I was almost 20 weeks along, far more dangerous than biking.  I also drank coffee and ate sushi, and did numerous things that people frown upon, including riding a bike up until about 7.5 months.  She doesn't have to justify why she's biking, and explanations signify that it's up for discussion, which it clearly isn't.   

You can be polite and firmly redirect "We are comfortable with our decisions, thanks. Are you doing anything fun this weekend?"
You can invoke authority, and then firmly redirect "We discuss everything important with our OB, and she/he is not worried.  Are you doing anything fun this weekend?"
Or not so polite if they keep pushing... "Oh, when did you get your medical degree?" "Our decisions are none of your concern"

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
@sdp: Congrats, hope all goes well :)
During my wife's pregnancy she biked all the time, she even worked as a health care provider (geriatric) which is quite intensive. Our midwife said it was no problem as long as she took her pregnancy into account.

Personally I don't understand the reasoning behind advising someone not to bike, however it would seem logical that they might feel that her safety because of other drivers might be more at risk than necessary. If they think that phisical activity is bad then I would definatly listen to the doctor/midwife in stead.

@Mazzinator: I think there are certain items which should definatly be avoided during pregnancy. Alcohol is widely recognized as being a threat to unborns as well as the mother regardles of the amount, I would advise to not drink at-all.
as for other consumables I would follow the doctors orders, there are some which are good and some which are bad. We followed the guidelines because our medical professional was trained and licensed; people on the internet are usually not (no matter how convincing their stories and references).

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »
Congratulations! If you're/she's comfortable with it, go as long as you can.

Friends of mine lost a child in the last month of pregnancy in a bicycle accident, so bad things can happen. My wife had a small accident at about 7 months along with our second child. She stopped riding after that scare. Driving isn't without it's own risks, as everyone knows, but little accidents seem to happen when the pregnancy is further along and balance/weight distribution has changed. Be careful no matter the means of transportation.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »
I biked up until I was about 8 months pregnant with my first child.  With my second child, I had some mobility problems that kept me from going that far.  I would just check with your doctor if you are concerned.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
The risk is of falling if your balance is off.

I stopped biking both times at about 6-10 weeks.  Really, I had extreme tiredness and nausea and couldn't do it the first trimester, and after I just didn't have the balance.  With #2, I had bronchitis at about 6 weeks and that ended my biking.

But I did do spin class until I couldn't climb back up on the bike anymore.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »
You are = you're. Since you're not the one who is pregnant, I guess it doesn't matter anyway, alas.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
Currently I'm still biking at 15 weeks, but I'm not showing yet and haven't really told anyone at work.  I expect I will get comments when I do.  But, I haven't let that stop me before typically I give non-committal responses or ignore the comment when people give me advice I don't intend to follow.  I expect I'll stop sometime in the third trimester because I anticipate balance becoming an issue.

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »
She should say "We're trying to raise a Beastbreed. He/she will carry on the species when all you weak-kneed tittyfuckers die"

If they press it further, she should slap them. Bitches never prosper.

+1

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:13:55 AM »
Congrats to you and your wife on getting preggers.

Personally I don't understand the reasoning behind advising someone not to bike, however it would seem logical that they might feel that her safety because of other drivers might be more at risk than necessary. If they think that phisical activity is bad then I would definatly listen to the doctor/midwife in stead.

Maybe if she slaps a "baby on board" sign on her rear end drivers may take more care?

(Sorry, just thought of it and had to say it :D )

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
@Mazzinator: I think there are certain items which should definatly be avoided during pregnancy. Alcohol is widely recognized as being a threat to unborns as well as the mother regardles of the amount
Not really. Good example of "everybody knows" being imprecise at best, useful for the OP's question! I've known people to bike into the 8th month. Then there was the woman this year who gave birth after her long run while training for a half marathon.

People seriously underestimate miscarriage risk and I think a lot of the hand-wringing over "don'ts" comes from trying to ascribe causes.

Congrats to you and your wife and best wishes for a happy, healthy kid. You have some control over that, but not 100%. Do your best and continue to enjoy life.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »
MicroRN says it best.

Maybe a recumbent bike will help if balance ever becomes an issue.

Congratulations!

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
I say go for it.  Being on a bike, even while pregnant is more safe that being in a car. 

Being active is very important while pregnant.  And being pregnant is a normal part of life, not a medical condition.  I am 6 months pregnant and just shoveled 1 1/2 feet of snow off of my huge driveway.  It felt great. 

As hard as it is, try not to let others impact your decisions.   

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
I say go for it.  Being on a bike, even while pregnant is more safe that being in a car. 

Being active is very important while pregnant.  And being pregnant is a normal part of life, not a medical condition.  I am 6 months pregnant and just shoveled 1 1/2 feet of snow off of my huge driveway.  It felt great. 

As hard as it is, try not to let others impact your decisions.   

chardog

• Stubble

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »
I'd be leery about winter biking (or cycling in rain) while pregnant . . . if you're a strong, experienced rider and have safe places to bike then give 'er.  My wife was following a heavy barbell weight training program until mid way through the 3rd trimester, which also raised a lot of questions.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:17:10 AM »
Get a three-wheeler.  It's what we'll do if I can manage to get with child later this year.  They have sweet cargo baskets too.  And it never hurts to have a bike around that older folks feel comfortable riding. 

Here's Walmart's version:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21188122?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227015580744&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42064396270&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=40022122630&veh=sem

I'm having problems finding a used one though :(

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 07:24:01 AM »
Back when I was pregnant, I stopped biking at about 4 months because at that time of year it was just getting too hot in the afternoons, and the one thing my doctor had told me not to do was overheat. (I guess it's not a problem in most places this time of year!)  And by the time autumn came, I was so huge I didn't even think about getting on a bike.