Author Topic: Biking to work  (Read 3229 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Biking to work
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
I haven't been biking to work. For the longest time I was about 20 miles away, now I live about 10 miles from work. I have mapped out a safe route, about the first 5 miles is on roads and then remaining 7 is on a bike path and plan to bike it this Sunday to test it out.

Any advice on biking to work?

I have a small car, but the bike has quick release so thinking of driving to work one day and bike home, and then bike back in the morning. What do you think?

My work has a small garage that I can stash my car, and there is a shower that I can use if I am sweaty.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Biking to work
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
Instead of re-inventing the wheel - I'd go here for information:

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/

Funny, that while reading that blog I found this one.  Maybe you will enjoy that one too!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Do you bike regularly? 12 miles is a lot to chew right off the bat. If you don't bike regularly, work up to it. Start with 3-5 miles. My first ride was 5 miles and I thought I was going to die. Now, it's easy.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »
I second the recommendation to ease into a long commute gradually if you don't bike much regularly.

Biking 24 miles round trip forces you to approach biking differently than just doing a couple miles.  Little things that wouldn't bother you at all on the shorter trips like saddle height, inflation of the tires, how comfortable your underwear is, where the seams in your pants/shorts are, fit of the bike, etc. . . . they all start to matter a lot more.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
I second the recommendation to ease into a long commute gradually if you don't bike much regularly.

Biking 24 miles round trip forces you to approach biking differently than just doing a couple miles.  Little things that wouldn't bother you at all on the shorter trips like saddle height, inflation of the tires, how comfortable your underwear is, where the seams in your pants/shorts are, fit of the bike, etc. . . . they all start to matter a lot more.

+1

Take some fun rides, maybe even learn/explore the road section of your commute. Do that for a week or more, building miles as you go.

If you can leave your car at work overnight, the next step to ease in is to do one-way commutes. Drive in, bike home. Then bike in, drive home, etc. THEN tackle the 24 mile round trip.

I went straight to the round trip at about 20 miles, but the first month or two were hell, not gonna lie.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Instead of re-inventing the wheel - I'd go here for information:

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/

Funny, that while reading that blog I found this one.  Maybe you will enjoy that one too!

I wonder if you followed one of my posts.  Though I don't think I've linked to the forum, just to some of MMM's blog entries.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
enigmaT120

I may have.  I think the post was on riding in the winter (even though I live in FLA).  However, I think it was the "What do you mean you don't have a bike!?"  Either way, they were great reads - and the bonus was I found MMM.  What an awesome find too!  So, if it was you - thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!