Author Topic: Biking: power grips / toe clips / others?  (Read 3356 times)

slugsworth

• Bristles
Biking: power grips / toe clips / others?
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »
I haven't used clip in shoes while biking in several years (mainly due to the shoes themselves being too narrow) and have been using power grips but my pair finally wore out (to failure). I was thinking of trying these 'half toe clips' from velo orange but wanted to see if anyone has any advice or other recommendations. Thanks!

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/toe-clips-straps-shoes/vo-deep-half-clips.html

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Re: Biking: power grips / toe clips / others?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
They are a good replacement for full toe clips. Depends on what you are looking for. If you looking for more power go clipless.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
You can get wider cycling shoes.  Shimano offers some, as does SIDI.  I was pretty against the idea of having your shoe stuck to your bike, but after a couple years and tens of thousands of kms riding clipless pedals I hate to go back.  (Every winter I use flat downhill pedals with spikes because they're compatible with seriously warm winter boots).

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »
They don't sell this particular pair anymore, and I only use them for spinning, but they are plenty wide, and I have slightly wider feet than average:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043RGYHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
I think it depends on how you use your bike...if you will regularly want to use non biking shoes, but occasionally do use them, then those kind of pedals make some sense.

If you do go with clipless pedals (which I love and now feel much safer and more secure clipped in than any other option), you will benefit from spending as much time as possible simple cruising around clipping and unclipping, building the muscle memory so it is automatic (so no falling over while clipped in).

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I ran spds for years and am fully comfortable using them.  I just have had a hard time finding comfortable spd compatible shoes and choose to rock the power grips for the last few years of city riding and I've done a few centuries with them too.

I was mainly interested in non clipless options and what peoples favorite setup was.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:59:33 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I ran spds for years and am fully comfortable using them.  I just have had a hard time finding comfortable spd compatible shoes and choose to rock the power grips for the last few years of city riding and I've done a few centuries with them too.

I was mainly interested in non clipless options and what peoples favorite setup was.

I am a big fan of using studded flats when not going clipless.  They offer pretty good traction in wet and snow, and are compatible with any shoes you might want to wear.  Can't pull up, but you can get your food off the pedal faster than any other option if you need to.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »

I am a big fan of using studded flats when not going clipless.  They offer pretty good traction in wet and snow, and are compatible with any shoes you might want to wear.  Can't pull up, but you can get your food off the pedal faster than any other option if you need to.

Yes, there are tons of studded flats with great grip.  I shy away from the spiked studs to avoid the shin-burger phenomenon...and I find they can be aggressive in grabbing the sole of my shoes, so adjusting my foot position is a pain.

Other than that...the power straps do work (did yours wear out that quickly?) and I think they can be more secure with less fiddling than regular old toe clips and straps.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
I haven't used clip in shoes while biking in several years (mainly due to the shoes themselves being too narrow) and have been using power grips but my pair finally wore out (to failure). I was thinking of trying these 'half toe clips' from velo orange but wanted to see if anyone has any advice or other recommendations. Thanks!

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/toe-clips-straps-shoes/vo-deep-half-clips.html

I don't use any foot retention mechanism for commuter/transportation cycling. It doesn't make you faster and it adds complexity to your bike. I just use flat pedals. I did use clipless for decades before I realized it was unnecessary.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
I haven't noticed a performance decrease, but I don't race.

I kept one pair of clipless pedals/shoes and occasionally use them for races. Comparing my average speeds on that bike with clipless and with flats there is no difference. It just feels more "racey" to wear the "tap dance" shoes. ;)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
I haven't noticed a performance decrease, but I don't race.

I kept one pair of clipless pedals/shoes and occasionally use them for races. Comparing my average speeds on that bike with clipless and with flats there is no difference. It just feels more "racey" to wear the "tap dance" shoes. ;)

I never noticed a difference in average speed, but my feet start to feel tired after more than 80 km with flats (even studded ones).  I tried several different types of shoes, but would get the same problem until switching to clipless.  That's the biggest difference that I noticed . . . comfort over longer distanes.  120 km is no biggie with the clipless pedals, but will start to hurt my feet with flats.  You also get a fair bit more power when sprinting or climbing steep hills by pulling up, but that's not really something that I'll do for extended times.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
I'll chime in with what you already tried: I've been using powergrips on my city/commuting bike for years, and very happy. Works with most of my normal shoes without any adjustment

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »
For commuting I've settled on large pedals with rounded studs, no clips.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!