Author Topic: Bikers - what do you eat before an early morning ride?  (Read 6131 times)

Pinkie Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bikers - what do you eat before an early morning ride?
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:19 AM »
Hi,

I go for exercise rides first thing in the morning when I can - around 40 minutes - sometimes more, sometimes less.  I've done toast with peanutbutter, and other times eggs w/cheese for fuel, or an apple.  Any suggestions - what works for you?

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bikers - what do you eat before an early morning ride?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:39 AM »
I do not exercise with bikeride, but rather go to the gym in the morning. For me a bowl of oatmeal and a banana gives me the best energy boost in the morning before workout (Preferably about 30-60 minutes before).

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
Really depends on what your goals are imo.

I don't typically work out in the morning but I've fasted many a days then lifted heavy weights after work as a method of fat loss.

If my goals are to gain strength and muscle mass all that matters is my overall calorie intake really, but carbs about 30-40 minutes before the gym is helpful in lifting more and more weight.

I think it's a misconception that you NEED food before exercise for energy.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
Nothing.  I don't like to eat immediately in the morning, I don't usually get hungry until i'm awake for a couple hours.  I also don't like waking up early.  So I wake up and then bike ride to work about 30 minutes later.  Then I eat once i'm at work.

Shawn J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
I don't eat until I get to work. My ride usually takes about 30 mins, wind permitting. I eat a bowl of oatmeal once I arrive and get organized for the day.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
I don't eat until I get to work. My ride usually takes about 30 mins, wind permitting. I eat a bowl of oatmeal once I arrive and get organized for the day.

I'm the opposite, I eat a granola bar about 10 minutes before my 30 minute ride to and from work. It really helps. Then again, I'm a few weeks short of 48 so maybe I need that extra boost more than some.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
If you are cycling just for exercise (not to get to work) for about 40 minutes (as opposed to over 1 hour) and desire to "lean out" without planning to lift weights before or after, I would suggest not eating until you are done.  The reason is if you eat before you workout, as you digest (another possible issue...), you will increase your glucose which will fuel your workout.  This is ok, but (at least theoretically) if you exercise right out of bed you will theoretically quickly use up your glucose stores (the sugars in your blood) within 20 minutes, then you will start burning fat. 

The above applies only to shorter workouts.  For long rides, like 60 miles, I fuel up with a double dose of oatmeal and eggs 2 hours before riding.  This way, I store quality slow burning carbs and proteins and it's largely digested at the start of the ride.  When snacking on super long rides, I eat very little at one time (half sandwich/bar/fruit).

All of this is theoretical, not scientifically proven and assumes you have normal glucose levels and you have no illnesses.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
If you're trying to lose weight, exercise on an empty stomach. 40 minutes isn't long enough to deplete your stored glycogen, but it helps ensure you're not over consuming calories. Eat afterwards if hungry, and only until satiation.

If you really want to trim down, exercise for longer periods on an empty stomach. When you first "tank" you'll feel awful. Sick to the stomach even, but after a couple weeks your body "learns" how to efficient go into pure fat burning mode.

For just general fuel/maintenance, which is where I'm at, I actually eat a very large breakfast. 4 eggs fried on two pieces of thick homemade toast, buttered. I usually finish eating at least 30 minutes before I have to be out the door.

ephillipsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
Depends on the morning ride work out, if commute versus hard work out. Peanut butter toast, yogurt with granola and fruit, bananas, grapefruit or some combo of these. plus water to pre hydrate and a small coffee with caffeine.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
One avocado, one 14.5 can of full-fat coconut milk, one banana, a few ice cubes, and a dash of vanilla extract.  Blend in blender.  Eat 40% at least 10 minutes before leaving the house, the other 60% goes into a mason jar and gets eaten upon arriving at my destination.  Don't forget to bring a spoon!  Lots of calories to fuel the ride, but nothing too "heavy" on the stomach to make it angry during the ride.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm in the eat-nothing-before crowd. I've never felt good exercising with food in my stomach. Maybe 1/2 banana or something like that if I'm hungry. Usually bike 10-15 miles to work (35-60 minutes) then eat ~1 cup of oats soaked in milk plus raisins & cinnamon. This is what works for me (not trying to lose weight or train for anything, just going places).

Spartana

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
I run early in the morning  but would eat the same if I biked instead - Fruit, yogurt, granola, coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars.

Spartana

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 03:57:56 PM »
I'm in the eat-nothing-before crowd. I've never felt good exercising with food in my stomach. Maybe 1/2 banana or something like that if I'm hungry. Usually bike 10-15 miles to work (35-60 minutes) then eat ~1 cup of oats soaked in milk plus raisins & cinnamon. This is what works for me (not trying to lose weight or train for anything, just going places).
I guess I should have added this to my post above as I also don't eat until after I (run in my case) first thing in the morning. I walk while I drink my coffee to warm up, then run, then eat a cup of fruit mixed with granola and yogurt. I usually bike ride after that and then will eat a bagel with peanut butter or some kind of protein after my ride. Can't run on a full stomach (but a small coffee is OK) but can bike on a full stomach.

Pinkie Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:08 AM »
Wow thanks for all the great ideas everyone!  Food for thought!  That avocado coconut milk - that's something different I never would have thought of. 

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
I have a relatively short bike commute- 3 1/2 miles, takes about 15-20 minutes depending on lights and traffic- and only have about a cup of Kefir before heading out in the morning and then make a 2-egg & diced ham omlette for breakfast once I get to work.

ajk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
Smoothie with fruit, vegetables, milk, nuts, dark chocolate, and cinnamon.

t-rymz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
Oatmeal. If it's a long ride, maybe a bagel.