Author Topic: Bike tools?  (Read 4620 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Bike tools?
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
Okay, I finally ordered a RadWagon to use for commute and transport.

I need to get up to speed on doing the maintenance myself, and I will need the proper tools to do it. There are tons of choices out there. I'm reasonably handy, but don't know much about working on bikes.

Thoughts?

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bike tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:14:39 PM »
Park Tools are decent and they make many specialized tools to fit brands from A to Z on the cranks, pedals, freewheels / freehubs, headsets, etc. I have some of their tools for my wife's bike, but I got a mostly complete set of Campagnolo tools for my old road bike. You won't need the Campy tools, although their T Wrench is very handy on almost any bike.

Other than that, some pliers for gripping cables, a series of allen wrenches, quality flat and philips head screwdrivers, and a small, medium and large crescent wrench set should mostly complete. The small one can be used for any small hex bolts, the medium or large for headsets,and the large for getting freewheels off.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »
Thanks. I'm pretty good on general tools (screwdrivers, socket set, hex wrenches, crescent wrenches) - though it seems I need skinny wrenches*.  I had looked at some Park sets at Amazon, but I still don't know which have the needed tools.

*I'm stripping a trash-picked kid's mountain bike with the plan of mounting handlebars and seat on the cargo deck of my RadWagon, to make family biking more plausible. Don't have a wrench big enough to separate the handlebar assembly/front fork. Also, any tips on pulling off the molded hand grips? That seems to be the only way to get the brake handles off.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »
Nashbar and Performance Bike have inexpensive tool kits that'll work well for home mechanics. Park Tool is nicer generally, but you'll pay quite a bit more.

For removing stuck on grips - cut them off with a razor blade, if you don't care about scratching the handlebar. Or blow hairspray underneath and wiggle the grip loose, or blast them off with an air compressor.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Unfortunately, a lot depends on what you have/need to work on, as parts have evolved and new standards introduced, or proprietary parts that have come and gone that require special tools.

For me, the tool I use most is a park 3-way allen wrench (4, 5, & 6mm), but getting allens up to 8mm and down to 2mm is often helpful. Besides those, tire irons (plastic ones), a spoke wrench, a GOOD chaintool that fits your chain (or multiple widths) are pretty essential IMO.  Others that help include, freewheel tool (for the freewheel/hub you have, chain whip (will work on any bike), whatever tools you need for your headset (depends on type, might just be allen wrench, but could require big/thin headset wrench), hub tools (old bikes would require the right cone wrenches), and I also use a cable cutter a lot to redo cables and housing.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »
I recently bought a bike tool kit made by Bike Hand from amazon for about $30 and a bike repair stand for $27 from amazon. They were not even on sale. It has everything I ever need to do my own bike maintenance. People have even completely torn down out the bike together with those tools according to reviews.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
I just got a bike repair stand from REI: Feedback Sport. It makes tuning or messing with bike repair so much better than trying to balance it. It folds up in seconds so it can be stored out of the way in a corner. I was on the fence about getting this, but so happy after its first use. I have a 6 year old that is determined to blow up bikes, so I know this will get a lot of use over the next 10-15 years and it seems sturdy enough to last that long.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »
^^^ yes...a stand (or a clamp mounted to a post or wall)...if you want to work on bikes, that makes it WAAAAY easier (and there are certainly some DIY hacks out there if you really want to save some dollars)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »
Yeah, I definitely want some type of stand or rack. RadWagon weighs in at 70 lbs, though.

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
I recently bought a bike tool kit made by Bike Hand from amazon for about $30 and a bike repair stand for $27 from amazon. They were not even on sale. It has everything I ever need to do my own bike maintenance. People have even completely torn down out the bike together with those tools according to reviews.

Links please. There are a few different t ones that don't quite line up with your price.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
following

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »

Links please. There are a few different t ones that don't quite line up with your price.

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW911XW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I guess I had a coupon or something. It is showing $48 now. Still a great price for a complete tool set.

Here is the folding bike repair stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JTTTBN4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
70lb bike YIKES! For a bike that heavy I would recommend going into a store and trying to load it up before ordering a repair stand. The stand I got locks onto the seat post or top tube, then cranks down. Its awkward to hold a normal bike with one arm while I crank down the holder. I would need a second person or to rest the bike on a stool if it was 70lbs.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »
I was kind of thinking of getting a nice Park Tool bike repair stand. Then I saw one in person, they are HUGE.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
70lb bike YIKES! For a bike that heavy I would recommend going into a store and trying to load it up before ordering a repair stand. The stand I got locks onto the seat post or top tube, then cranks down. Its awkward to hold a normal bike with one arm while I crank down the holder. I would need a second person or to rest the bike on a stool if it was 70lbs.

It's a steel-frame cargo bike with electric assist. So yeah, it's heavy. :D

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radwagon

It's going to start as my commuter bike, and "preschooler rides on the back for family outings" bike. He's not steady enough to keep up on his own yet.