Author Topic: Bike shopping  (Read 2589 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Bike shopping
« on: September 20, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a road bike to use for traveling to and from work (5 miles each way) as well as biking trips (23 miles). What's a good place to look? I know they can get expensive especially for taller people (I'm 6'3"). What should I expect to spend on one?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Bike shopping
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »

All about the details.  CL is great but can take time and with your height will take more time.  I think you need to say how much are you willing to spend to do this (200$ or 800$ or more)?  Your price ceiling may force some decisions (clipless vs flat petals). 

If you are starting from square one I would suggest going into a local bike shop and talking to them.  This might not be the cheapest route but if can help you figure out what path to follow.  Talk to a few different shops before buying.  Most/many shops will give 10-20% off gear when you buy a bike, you will need helmet/lights/pump/padded cargo shorts....  accessories will be a larger part of your up front costs than you might think
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:00:12 PM by AlanStache »

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
You're pretty much within the normal height range for the biggest frames, so there's no issue there. Go to REI and test ride some bikes and find the style you like (road vs touring vs hybrid vs cross), then go from there.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
You're pretty much within the normal height range for the biggest frames, so there's no issue there. Go to REI and test ride some bikes and find the style you like (road vs touring vs hybrid vs cross), then go from there.

Big second. Test riding them around is the best bet. I bought a Cannondale Synapse from REI last year. They also have a 1 year return policy for any reason.  Also comes with a free tune up after ~6 months or some number of suggested miles. Especially with end of season sales, you could easily find a very nice and practical road bike or hybrid for $750 new from REI. Or scour craigslist/etc. for cheaper options.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm thinking $750 is a good budget to start with. There's a place up in town I'll look to do some test drives.