Author Topic: Bike Riding Issue  (Read 5004 times)

alm0stk00l

• Stubble
Bike Riding Issue
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
I have a relatively weird issue when riding my bike and I was hoping for a little advice. When riding my bike for 5+ miles, like my commute to work, there are times when my rear-end, as well as a more sensitive area, tend to fall asleep. It isn't much of an issue while riding, but as soon as I arrive at my destination and being walking, it becomes very uncomfortable. Does this ever happen to anyone else. I am just wondering if I am sitting on my seat incorrectly, or if maybe I have a bad seat. Any advice?

lackofstache

• Bristles
Re: Bike Riding Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
I've never had that problem, but I've played with my set up a lot. The reach from saddle to h'bars, the tilt of the saddle, the saddle itself, the height of the saddle could all be conspiring against you.

I've found the less between me & the bottom of the saddle, the better. No foam, but no carbon either. A hammock type saddle, usually leather (think Brooks) works well because there's little friction, but the saddle still gives (because it's leather).

Tilt matters as well, but everyone is different on what works. Make sure, though, that the nose of the saddle isn't tilted down, pushing you forward.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
You can play around with seat adjustment . . . a couple cm forward or backward makes a big difference, as does slight tilt up/down.  Having the seat and handlebars set to the proper height can also affect how comfortable your biking is.  Seat too low means you put much more pressure on your butt, and less on your feet/hands.  Are you dismounting from the seat when you stop at lights?  This can give your butt a break, and is a good habit to get into (usually a seat set to proper height is too tall to keep sitting in when stopped).

Does your seat have a cutout in the centre?  Some people swear by these.  Do you stand on the pedals to raise your butt up off the seat when going over potholes to reduce the amount of vibration your butt has to absorb?  This can greatly reduce the shock you end up getting (and is good for the bike, as you cushion the wheels and frame from the bumps).  Is your seat wide or very cushy?  Wide/cushy seats feel comfy when you start, but tend to cause more problems than they solve on a bike . . . especially on longer trips.

fodder69

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
I am just wondering if I am sitting on my seat incorrectly, or if maybe I have a bad seat. Any advice?

Yes, and yes. Getting a new seat would help, I was in a bind one time and got a schwinn saddle from walmart for $16 or so that had the cut out in the middle which will help a lot. Don't get one that is too big or too soft. This open is actually reasonably light.

Here is the one I got: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Medium-Width-Soft-Saddle/17330714 It lives on my grocery bike now and is plenty comfortable.

The other thing is I am guessing your saddle is too low. You need to have it high enough that your leg is pretty well extended, you should have to be on your tip toes to touch the ground if you are sitting on the saddle and the bike is upright. It should also be fairly far back as long as you can still reach the bars comfortably. When your seat is high enough your pedaling actually takes the pressure off of your bum, plus you will have more power and it's better for your body all around.

Nicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
There is a nerve in that area called the pudendal nerve, and it can get entrapped. It's kind of like "carpal tunnel syndrome" of the perineal area.

The main extrinsic cause is the bicycle seat. Try some different seats or positions to change the weightbearing/pressure points on your bum.

It is sometimes called "Pudendal Nerve Entrapment" syndrome, or "Cyclists syndrome." It is fixable/treatable and good to catch early.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91896-overview

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »
How long has it been happening for?  I ask because this used to happen to me when I'd only ride sporadically, but since I've started riding daily, it's gone away.  I changed nothing on my bike setup.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
How long has it been happening for?  I ask because this used to happen to me when I'd only ride sporadically, but since I've started riding daily, it's gone away.  I changed nothing on my bike setup.

I've noticed that too, I used to get the exact same issue.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »

I've noticed that too, I used to get the exact same issue.

Yeah!  No more sleeping testicles!

*high five*

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
LOL

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
Sheldon Brown can help: http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html