Author Topic: Bike parking rack at home - creative ideas?  (Read 3995 times)

PtboEliz

• Stubble
Bike parking rack at home - creative ideas?
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:29:42 AM »
I have plans to turn my carport into a bicycleport - at least partially :) Really I just want bikes to have a dedicated parking area - for years I've locked/parked mine against a post alongside the car which can be the pitts.

I've been looking at parking racks and like the loop or triangle style (attached). But I'm thinking there might be a more mustachian approach than buying an expensive rack.

Anyone out there doing anything creative?

I have access to a metal recycling yard so am thinking I could look for some parts and have a local welder fashion something. I'm not keen on it looking junky though.

I'm in and out frequently so looking for a drive-in rack (as opposed to mounting, etc.). Bicycle theft isn't a problem where I live so a heavier rack on the ground wouldn't need to be bolted. Enough space for 3-5 bikes would be ideal.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Bike parking rack at home - creative ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »
Put them up on hooks on the ceiling of the garage, then lock 'em all together with a big cable through the frames.  This way there's nothing on the floor so you can use the space if you want (always handy to have extra space when working on bike repairs), and it's damned near impossible to take them down from overhead while locked up without killing yourself.  It just takes a second to lower them once unlocked though.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
+1 to the hook in the celling idea. Cheap, works great, out of the way. I've crammed 7 bikes and 2 cars in the 2 car garage with room to spare. okay, not all that Mustachian, but we'll call it frugal excess ;)

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »
Thanks gentlemen. The hooks are a great idea for saving space but I have the space. I'm in/out sometimes five times a day so I'd really like a quick 'drive-in' solution. As well, not sure there would be supporting structure in my carport and/or or a nice look with bikes hanging (though it's hard not to love the look of bikes any which way :). It's a covered but open structure, not a garage..

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
Since you mention "carport" I assume this is the basic open-front carport, i.e. not secure. You could easily design and spec a basic DIY pipe rack similar to the PVC rack in the following link, although I would make it out of metal rather than PVC. Similar designs are available via Google. For security two large bolts into the wall and a good-size chain/lock would be sufficient to keep opportunistic thieves at bay. Professional thieves that scope out your neighborhood and notice your rack will still get the bikes if they wish.

If you have a welder/metal shop do a custom job for you, any savings you have in materials will most likely be eaten by labor costs.

http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.com/diy-bike-rack/

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »
Google "pallet bike rack". You'll be done in the time it takes you to pick up 1 or 2 pallets.

I need to get one of these into our garage to corral the fleet.

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
Thanks guys. I like that PVC pipe rack and will flag that site for future but, TrMama, a pallet bike rack is an awesome idea! I've already got a friend looking for a smaller pallet for me for the design attached. Thanks so much for passing that along.
p.s. The hooks idea wasn't wasted on me.. a great solution for me re: winter storage so thanks for that idea too GS and acroy.