Author Topic: Bike Newbie  (Read 2672 times)

Ugh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bike Newbie
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
In an effort to start using a bike when I can, I have a decision to make.
I had a Jamis from the early 1990s sitting in the garage. It has a fair amount of rust but the frame is perfect.  I brought it to the local bike shop which was a ridiculous waste of time. I know the repairs are well beyond me.
Then I took it to a retired guy who fixes bikes and sells them. I think he is a straight shooter
He  just called to tell me it needs  a new derailleur, chain, shifters, cables and tubes and with labor it would cost $175 to get it rideable.
He said in the alternative he would give me $50 off the refurbished trek he has for sale for $250. It looks like a trek recreational bike like a "pure" or a "verve"
 I am just sticking my toe into biking, and its November, and I am not young ( although I think I am)--what do you recommend?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
Re: Bike Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
If you're getting Derailleur, chain, shifters, cables and tubes replaced for $175 with labor, you're getting a hell of a deal.  Have him do the repairs.  No reason to pay $200 when $175 will get you everything new or like-new condition. 

Bonus points if he'll let you hang out with him and bring a six pack of beers and teach you as he does the work.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »
If you're getting Derailleur, chain, shifters, cables and tubes replaced for $175 with labor, you're getting a hell of a deal.  Have him do the repairs.  No reason to pay $200 when $175 will get you everything new or like-new condition. 

Bonus points if he'll let you hang out with him and bring a six pack of beers and teach you as he does the work.

Bingo. Go for it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »
Yep.  Especially agree with the 'ask to sit in and watch' idea.