Author Topic: bike lock recommendations?  (Read 6073 times)

scrubbyfish

bike lock recommendations?
« on: February 14, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
My 10 year old lost his bike lock today, so went to secure his bike with my own bike lock...at which point he discovered that mine no longer works! Mine is a Masterlock Python style: http://www.allpadlocks.com/ez-catalog/X380790/127?gclid=CIKxwJbo4sMCFYRufgodmhcA0g

I LOVE this lock because it's light and compact for carrying, yet is super long and flexy, allowing me to tie to very wide poles, include a few bikes, etc. It's worked great for several years. However, we've just learned that it no longer cinches -it now allows me or the thief to simply pull the cable out!

1. Is there a fix for this?

2. And, since we'll need at least one new lock anyway (per the lost one), recommendations for our newest one(s)?

vhalros

• Bristles
Re: bike lock recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »
That is not the kind of lock you can use if there is any theft at all in your area; it can be snipped with one handed cable cutters. Although I guess there must not be a lot of theft in your area if you have been using it for years and still have your bike.

I use two locks on mine; a Kryptonite KryptoLok Series2 U-lock to secure one wheel and the frame, and a Kryptonite Kryptoflex 1218 to secure the saddle and the other wheel (and usually the frame again). Sounds like it would be overkill for you, or for a child's bike in general. The Kryptoflex by itself might serve your needs, although it is more expensive than what you had before; you could just get another one of those if that is adequate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:31:02 PM by vhalros »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »
That is not the kind of lock you can use if there is any theft at all in your area; it can be snipped with one handed cable cutters. Although I guess there must not be a lot of theft in your area if you have been using it for years and still have your bike.

New to this town, so theftiness isn't known yet :)   Four cities ago I had a lock cut through and my (extremely crappy) bike stolen from the yard in the night. From then til now I've stored my bikes indoors but I'm not willing to do that anymore (kid and I are usually in 450-500 sq feet and I'm done sharing it with bikes, navigating them in and out, etc).

The Python ads say thieves can't quickly get through these. Not true?

I'll check out the Kryptoflex -thanks!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
The Python ads say thieves can't quickly get through these. Not true?

It's a 3/16" cable. The ability to cut though it with hand tools depends on the strength of the user of course, but I think that most people could cut through it with an easily concealed one-handed tool, and any one not looking too closely wouldn't even be able to tell they weren't just the legitimate owner unlocking it.

Of course, no lock will stop a determined thief with a full tool set after your particular bike. The best you can do is make them look for easier pickings.

Here in Boston I think the life expectancy of any bike left out side 24/7 is about a year before it vanishes, depending on where exactly.  Its a problem that varies a lot from place to place.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:41:07 PM by vhalros »

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »
Kryptonitr U Locks--low crime/theft rate here, so I imagine my one-time purchase of three locks (three bikes around town on any given day--me, wife, son) will likely last a lifetime as long as the locks don't develop any functIonal issues.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
Do you add the ulock to a cable, darkadams00? If not, how do you get around the challenge of finding only wide poles/trunks/etc to lock to?

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
I use the Kryptonite New York U-lock. It's a little pricier than others, but it's a one-off purchase that will safeguard your investment. Bonus points if you find a used one!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:45 PM »
Do you add the ulock to a cable, darkadams00? If not, how do you get around the challenge of finding only wide poles/trunks/etc to lock to?

The u-lock needs to be what secures the frame, or else it is only as strong as the (much cheaper) cable, so you might as well just get a cable lock. An auxiliary cable anchored on the U is useful for securing wheels, saddles, and other accessories though. This area has been very good lately about providing racks, but if there is no bike rack, I sometimes end up securing mine to sign posts; just make sure they are tall and/or have something to prevent the U lock from going over the top.

Also don't secure them to handicapped parking signs or railings.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:41:29 PM by vhalros »

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 11:09:15 PM »
I'm able to use the U most of the time although sometimes that requires creativity. Also, I've spent quite awhile in the places I frequent often looking for go-to lock ups. During my first spring/summer I spent almost every Saturday out riding around, exploring my 3-mile radius--my most frequent shopping, riding distance (weekly errands). I took notes of routes, shortcuts, lockups, and shops I never even noticed in my car. I found approaching a store from the sidewalk instead of the parkinglot helped me notice several good lockups when there wasn't a bike corral/staple right i front of the store. The inventory made biking more second-nature than waiting until I needed a lockup to find one. But I do carry my cable in my bag or basket most of the time unless I'm certain a trip is to a known location only (I'm bad to get an idea and end up on the other side of town when it's warm).

minimountainmustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
I have a Kryptonite U-lock (New York, I think?) and a cable. It is a pretty heavy duty (and expensive!) combo...but worth it in my opinion. $100 bucks vs. replacing my bikes is a pretty good exchange. I lock both wheels to the frame with the cable and then use the U-lock to lock the frame/cable to the bike rack

scrubbyfish

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
I'm relatively rural, so there aren't many skinny poles to tie around...more like tree trunks and telephone poles for the most part, so a length is essential for us.

However, my kid found his lock, and my own is cinch-locking again (I don't know how it wasn't then was), so now I'm set for awhile... but I'm bookmarking this thread for when I need to replace either. Thanks, everyone!!

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »
2 different brands of U-locks.  1 securing frame to front wheel wheel to stationary object, 1 securing rear wheel to frame (& stationary object if possible).  Been operating like this in Boston for 6 years...have yet to lose a bike, which surprises many of my friends who average every other year.  Heavy?  Yes.  Inconvenient?  Less so than walking home.

I believe I read that bike thefts occur from (descending order)
  • Not locked at all
  • Cable lock only
  • Improperly locked u-lock (wheel only, etc.)
  • Properly locked (u-lock) but in poor area (low lighting, no foot traffic, high crime area, etc.)
  • Properly locked & located high-end bike
  • Properly locked & located low-end bike

With a properly u-locked bike (any u-lock...doesn't need to be kryptonite), you've knocked out like 99.9% of theft (unless you're pedaling some carbon fiber high-end bike) when there are so many more of the first 3 category bikes for thieves to steal.  With a double-u-lock on my low-end bike...I'd only expect to lose my bike if I park it next to a crack house or unless a thief just wanted to prove a point.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
I recommend a multi-lock approach. I use a U lock to lock my back tire and frame (simultaneously) to something and then use a thick cable lock to encompass both tires, the frame and the thing I'm locking it to. If someone really wants the bike, they'll need time and two different tools to break through the locks. I figure this eliminates most thieves.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!