Author Topic: Bike Help! what to do?  (Read 7914 times)

trinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bike Help! what to do?
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »
Hey all,

I finally made the decision to start riding my bike to work!

Small problem though: I noticed there was a crack in the head tube of my old 2001 Specialized Hardrock Sport Mtn bike. I had hardly ever ridden it so I took it to a specialized dealer and they are offering me a deal because the frame is under lifetime warranty.

The problem is: it's a 12 year old bike and they don't make that frame anymore!
The deal is: I can get a new bike at a steep discount! About $260 + $100 for the shop to put it together.
I'm thinking of getting the Specialized Sirrus Sport- a hybrid, commuter-type bike. (or maybe the Crosstrail?)
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirrussport
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/crosstrail/crosstrail

Here's where I need advice. Should I...
1. Get the Sirrus for $360 and keep it? (They keep my old bike).
2. Get the Sirrus for $360 and try to sell it for retail on Craigslist - MSRP $620, so maybe $500? and try to find a cheaper used bike on Craigslist?
3. Sell my old mountain bike for whatever I can get for it ($100-150? I really have no idea) and then try to find a used bike a Craigslist?

Any experienced bike commuters out there? What would you guys do?

I really know absolutely nothing about bikes lol. I was going by MMM's advice for the "commuter" or "hybrid" type of bike and that is the main one specialized makes. Is the $360 a good deal or can I do better on Craigslist? I have no idea what to look for in a used bike or what used bikes are worth. I also prefer a men's frame over a womens.

Thanks in advance!!! :-) :-)

ScottEric

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bike Help! what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
I would take the new bike from the bike shop at a discount and keep it.  Here's why:

1. Hopefully they can get a bike that fits you right, a good bike shop can do that and bike fit can make a big difference.
2. A good bike shop will include a 30 day tune up, so that after all your cables stretch a little from use (this is normal in a new bike) they can give it a quick adjustment. 
3. If you don't know a lot about bikes, trying to flip a new one to trade down for a used one can have some pitfalls.  You said you don't know the used bike market very well.  Do you know how to tell whats up with a used bike?  If you do your own mechanics, it's less of an issue, if you're paying a shop to do anything the used bike will need, it can add up fast, a full tune up can run $100 easy. 
4. Personally, I'm not inclined to inviting that kind of hassle into my life for a potential $200 surplus.  It sounds like work, and not fun work. Especially trying to trade a commodity that I'm not already super familiar with.

Just to complicate things, will they give you a deal on a Globe?  It's a Specialized subbrand, they look like pretty nice commuter bikes.

Either way, Good luck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »
The Sirrus looks like a decent bike (has attachment points for fenders/rack too, which are essential in a commuter).  I don't like flat bars on their own for long rides though.  Either look into some bar ends, or look for something with drop bars so that you have more places to put your hands when they start getting sore.

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »
Will they sell it to you for $260 unassembled?  Bike assembly isn't that difficult!

Nate_D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
A couple things:
  • People who shop for bikes on craigslist aren't interested in paying anywhere near retail, even for a new bike. You'll never get that much for the Sirrus.
  • If the headtube on the Hardrock is truly cracked, the frame is effectively shot and anyone who rides it is rolling the dice. If it were to fail at high speed, the entire front end of the bike could collapse, which could result in a fatal crash. IMHO it would be irresponsible to sell it to anyone else unless you specifically listed it as selling "for parts" or "for scrap".
I'm in agreement with the other replies: buy and keep the new bike the shop is offering you.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
I would say that the brand new bike for half price is too good of a deal to pass up.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
I'd say stick with the shop bike. Can you get something from Specialized's "Globe" line? They have swept back bars (probably more comfortable than flat bars), fenders, and other niceties for commuters. I'd go with a crossroad instead of a crosstrail -- front suspension is not needed and adds extra weight and more to fail.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
If for some reason you get to keep your old Hardrock, I would give you a few bucks + shipping to send some of the parts to me.  My road/cyclecross/non-mountain bike is an old Hardrock that needs a few parts.

Joet

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »
I use a sirrus sport as a commuter, love it. I put fenders on it so far

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!