Author Topic: Bike Fender Recommendation (retro-fit)  (Read 2790 times)

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Bike Fender Recommendation (retro-fit)
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
Bike Commuters:  Looking to add fenders to my 2004 Specialized Sirrus.  The tires are 700 X 28.  I am really tired of the mud slinging that takes place when riding in the rain.  Have any of you added fenders that you are happy with?  Can you please link them to me?  Pitfalls to watch for?  Suggestions?  Thanks for your help and advise.

Koreth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bike Fender Recommendation (retro-fit)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »
I recently but some Planet Bike Fenders on my Trek 7200 FX. I've been happy with them so far, though I did have to go to the hardware store for a bolt that would allow me to fit the front fender (the supplied bolt was way too long for how my front fork was drilled and tapped for a fender mount). I've got a 700 x 40 mounted underneath (which is probably about as big as I can realistically go). I used their Hardcore Hybrid Fenders ( these: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7046.html ) However, I can't tell from the pics on the Specialized website if your bike has the mounting holes needed to mount that specific model of fender or not.

If you have a friendly local bike store in your area, check them out. They should be able to help you figure out what kind of fenders will best fit your bike.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
I put these on my Fargo.  Nobody local stocks anything like them:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoud.asp

2012 Salsa Fargo by Ed Miller, on Flickr

Mud flaps are extra.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »
Hit up your local bike store or three and ask for recommendations.  Most bike stores have fenders that are appropriate for the area.  I've never regretted fenders that go all the way over the wheel and nearly rub the road. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
If you're DIYing the install make sure to ask if they can be returned if clearances don't work. The Planet Bike hardcore fenders are better than the SKS fenders I'd had but I can't get the front one to mount without some modifications.

I don't know if any fenders are manufactured without releases on the stays in case something jams in the wheel but you definitely want ones that do.

I'd also highly recommend anti-seize or a durable rust-preventing lubricant on the bolts to the frame. Having the bolts corrode frozen to the frame and needing to redrill the holes is not fun.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:34:34 AM by Thegoblinchief »

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

I decided on the Planet Bike ones.  I am glad I did not attempt to install them myself, as it is a pretty tough fit on my 2004 Sirrus. It took the mechanic an hour as he had to fit it around the front derailer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!