Author Topic: Bike commuters: what do you wear?  (Read 6532 times)

grandep

• Stubble
Bike commuters: what do you wear?
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
I am about to start a new job in a couple weeks, and I am planning on commuting to work by bike. From the reading I've done, it seems like some people just wear their work clothes on the bike, while others will wear a full cycling kit with jersey and chamois or bib.

I'm curious to hear from bike commuters on this forum. What do you wear when you bike to work? How far is your commute? Do you wear bike shoes? Clipless pedals? Do you have any other advice, tips, or wisdom to share with a bike commuting newbie?

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
Re: Bike commuters: what do you wear?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Same boat.  Posting to follow and hear suggestions from those who have done it.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
I ride a bicycle 4.5 miles to work. I just wear my normal street clothes, and my normal shoes. As much as possible, I don't want to have to put on anything special to bicycle; I just want to get on an ride with no fuss. I do wear a helmet and some protective eyewear  in the winter though. I also wear warm clothes in the winter, but that is necessary for going outside any way.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
I ride ~9 miles each way, and bring separate clothes to change into at work.  I don't ride in "official" bike gear most of the time, but it is all "dry wick" stuff to keep the sweat away, since I do live in FL.  Most days I wear 3/4 length pants (same I wear for yoga - usually under armour) and long-sleeve white tops (for visibilty and to keep the sun off and the heat away).  Pretty simple. 

My bike is a hybrid (aka commuter).  Clip pedals would be pretty silly on it, so I wear regular sneakers.  No problems. 

As vhalros said - helmet is essential, and I pretty much always wear sunglasses outside - another must. 

BTW - this old thread has a lot of good recommendations for bike gear (lights, etc) if you get serious about commuting.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/discuss-your-bike-bike-lights-tires-fenders-racks-and-panniers/

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
Too many variables.  Can you provide more info?

- climate:  hot?  cold?
- how long is the commute?
- what's your dress code at work?
- do you have showers at work, if you actually need them (e.g., after a long commute in hot weather)?
- do you have a place (drawer) at work to store your work clothes, if you feel the need to change?
- do you care what other people think if you ride in and look less than presentable BEFORE you clean up and change?

I've bike-commuted for years in all kinds of weather and for all kinds of distances and I don't really give a rat's ass what my colleagues think when I roll in.  As long as I am presentable for my work, and can throw on a suit jacket and nice shoes for a client meeting, I'm good.

P.S. The older you are and the greater the job seniority, the less it matters, IMO.  I wear my badassity like a badge / boss.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Climate: Everything from sleet to 110 degree heat.
Distance: 16 miles one-way
Professional Presentation: Look at me, I ride 32 miles a day. People may think I'm crazy but in a good-for-you way. It changed my emotional well-being, so I was more fun to be around.

I aimed for a fast ride with minimal drag on my body (i.e., no loose-fitting clothes and no giant mountain bike tires).

Clothes
In winter I wear a Pearl Izumi windproof jacket and windproof headgear, pants, etc. It's very dry so I don't really sweat much, but I still bring a full change of clothes and shower at work. The Eagle Creek Pack-It (medium) was perfect for a set of clothes, and I'd put that and my shoes in a backpack with a reflective belt around the getup.

In the summer I wear regular bike shorts with board shorts over them and a cycling jersey.

Generally speaking, I avoid cycling-specific clothing if it's made to be super lightweight or super thin. That stuff probably won't keep me dry or warm when I'm riding through 16 miles of downpour or thunderstorms.

Pedals
Clipless should be the pedal of choice for all mustachians! They're slightly more efficient overall, and you work out more of the muscles in your legs. They require special plates in special shoes, but you probably know that. Clipping in and out takes some getting used to, so practice dismounting a little if you go this route.

Bike
I use a cyclocross bike with file tread Schwalbe tires. They go plenty fast on the road but when I need to cut through trails or gravel they still grip it and rip it. 

I ALWAYS wear a helmet and have a front and rear light strobe lights. I realize the Europeans may not wear helmets or whatever, but the U.S. is generally not bike commuter friendly. Assess the risk in your area and stack the safety deck in your favor however you can.

Seat
Always tied a plastic bag over my seat to keep it from getting wet.

Company Cred
My company has a robust bike rack with generally a few bikes locked up each day. I left notes on each of the bikes saying I was new to bike commuting and would love to talk about what they do. That helped with the localisms of the area and the company.

Kudos to you for taking it up! You'll feel wonderful at work - there's nothing like starting the day with a nice shot of endorphins!

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »

- do you have showers at work, if you actually need them (e.g., after a long commute in hot weather)?
- do you have a place (drawer) at work to store your work clothes, if you feel the need to change?
- do you care what other people think if you ride in and look less than presentable BEFORE you clean up and change?

I've bike-commuted for years in all kinds of weather and for all kinds of distances and I don't really give a rat's ass what my colleagues think when I roll in.  As long as I am presentable for my work, and can throw on a suit jacket and nice shoes for a client meeting, I'm good.

P.S. The older you are and the greater the job seniority, the less it matters, IMO.  I wear my badassity like a badge / boss.

I'll be in New Mexico, so dry year round but the weather can go from really cold to pretty hot. My commute will be about 6 miles one way. I don't know if my work will have showers or not - what I was planning on doing is keeping a stick of deodorant and some wipes at my desk/in my office and just wiping down with those.

I'll probably have a better idea of whether or not I can bike in my work clothes once I'm actually there and have tried it. For now my plan is to pack work clothes separately and bike in a jersey/something I can get real sweaty in and then change once I'm there.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

I'll be in New Mexico, so dry year round but the weather can go from really cold to pretty hot. My commute will be about 6 miles one way. I don't know if my work will have showers or not - what I was planning on doing is keeping a stick of deodorant and some wipes at my desk/in my office and just wiping down with those.

I'll probably have a better idea of whether or not I can bike in my work clothes once I'm actually there and have tried it. For now my plan is to pack work clothes separately and bike in a jersey/something I can get real sweaty in and then change once I'm there.

I used to just wear generic workout clothes and change in my office, mostly because I didn't like having to carry anything with me. So I brought my work clothes the day before and hung up on my door. Once I got there via bike, wipes and deodorant were sufficient for me as well :)

I recommend trying for the first time on a weekend day, so you can plan out the details before you actually need to be presentable for work.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
For me it's just been my normal clothes and shoes, always. I've had bike commutes ranging from the current 5 mins to 15 min with some minor hills. That last commute would sometimes get me a little sweaty, but as everyone was biking in their normal clothes it's never been an issue. Climate is mild with frequent rain, occasional snow and about one heatwave a year.

My work usually doesn't require formal wear. Worst case scenario is heavy rain which means my pants are wet upon entrance. But again, everyone has that same issue, so we just laugh about it.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
I bike 8 miles each way in a variable climate (Chicago).  I use transit when the pavement is icy or snowy (after a snowfall, I wait ~2-3 days for a good melt) or when there's severe thunderstorms.  In recent winters I haven't missed many days.

Summer:  Cycling shorts, tea shirt and sneakers on a 13 year old Specialized Sirus .  Some days I extend my afternoon ride to 26 miles, in which case I do SPD shoes on campus pedals on the drop bar bike Which is a 7 year old Specialized Secteur Elite.

Winter:  Tights and Army boots (too cold for sneakers below 50 F), then layer upper body depending on temperature (tea shirt, long sleeve jersey, fleece, nano-puff jacket, rain jacket or down vest all depending on temp/wind).  30-45 degrees, a head band, below 35 a bala klava, gloves for above 36, cold weather gloves for below.  Helmet, of course.

I shower at work and use a topeak pannier to carry my clothes, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:12:27 AM by frugaliknowit »

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »
4,5 miles in regular office clothes, on a standard 'granny bike'. If it's very rainy I might swap my high heels for sneakers (and bring my heels in my bag). If it's very hot, I'll bring a fresh shirt.

As for a helmet... well, I've said it before on this forum: a Dutchie wearing a bike helmet is like a Viking wearing a life vest.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »
As for a helmet... well, I've said it before on this forum: a Dutchie wearing a bike helmet is like a Viking wearing a life vest.
:-)

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »
I just wear whatever I would got outside and run in, adjusting for the season, and favoring windproof clothing over warm clothing. Wipe down with a washcloth in the bathroom at the office and change there, too.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »

Love that one! Way better than my usual: "Helmets on a bicycle are a way to recognize the German tourists"

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
I live in FL.  My commuter of choice is a cheap aluminum frame mountain bike with no suspension (Gary Fisher Mako) w/ slickish tires.  I like to be able to jump curbs / go off road if need be.  I bike 5 miles each way, year round.

In warm months (most of the year) I just wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt.  I keep my work clothes in the office, and since it's flat (and I don't go so fast) I don't sweat too much.  I wear sneakers and have toe clips on my pedals.  As it gets colder (coldest would be the high 20s, and that is pretty rare) I layer.  I like those wicking / dri fit long sleeve shirts for an underlayer, and something waterproof / windbreakery as a top layer.  As for bottoms, I usually just wear jeans and long underwear.  If I lived somewhere colder, though, I'd probably get something proper.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
I commute about 22 km each way year round, rain or shine (or snow).  The ride goes from pretty quiet suburb traffic to very busy city traffic close to work. 

Most of the year I use clipless pedals (Shimano M-540),  a steel frame touring bike, 28 mm tires, and a backpack.  I wear a full spandex bike outfit in bright colours.  I've got a wind jacket, a gilet, arm and leg warmers, a buff, and some thin gloves for cooler/rainy weather.   I always wear a helmet (with some reflective tape that I cut and applied to the back), and usually ride with a backpack (change of clothes/lunch).

During the winter I have an aluminum frame road bike set up similar to my summer one, except that it's got bar end shifters (so I can shift with heavy winter gloves on), fenders, a rear rack, 32 mm tires with a little bit of grip for snow, and studded flat pedals (so I can wear warm winter boots).  Winter cycling gear is a mixed bag of whatever works in very cold temperatures.  I have some heavy weight tights, several warm sweat wicking fleece sweaters, a bright neon green windshell with lots of reflective stuff on it, a neoprene face mask, an old bike helmet with all the vents taped shut, a touque, ski gloves, wool socks, and insulated hiking boots.  Usually I'll use panniers in the winter because I find that my back gets super sweaty and uncomfy with all those layers and a backpack on top.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
I used to bike 6.7 miles to university or 13.4 miles daily, I would wear normal clothes in the summer and not have to change when I got to university once I moved my bag onto a basket I installed. I've also done this in dress clothes for presentation and while biking in dress shoes can be a little rough you get used to it fast.

For the winter I added a light jacket with a hoodie and a thick winter jacket, I put on a second pair of pants which was wind resistant and wore thick gloves and steel toed boots.

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »
I rode my bike to work occasionally in 2016. We lived in southern California, so it would be pretty nice most of the time. A little hot sometimes. I was doing 4 miles one way and I would just wear some C-9 athletic pants from Target, a t-shirt, sports bra, and sneakers (and helmet of course). I would bring a wash cloth with me and do a little wash up in the bathroom, change into my work clothes, and put on an extra layer of deodorant. I worked in an office as the front desk person and by the time I'd finish my morning coffee I'd be cooled down. Nobody ever told me I stank so I think it worked!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
I bike 2.3 miles to and from work in Chicago.  I wear regular work clothes and regular shoes, along with whatever outwear is necessary for the weather.  In the summer, I wear a t shirt and change into my work top once I get in, because I tend to get sweaty.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
I commute about 22 km each way year round, rain or shine (or snow).  The ride goes from pretty quiet suburb traffic to very busy city traffic close to work. 

Most of the year I use clipless pedals (Shimano M-540),  a steel frame touring bike, 28 mm tires, and a backpack.  I wear a full spandex bike outfit in bright colours.  I've got a wind jacket, a gilet, arm and leg warmers, a buff, and some thin gloves for cooler/rainy weather.   I always wear a helmet (with some reflective tape that I cut and applied to the back), and usually ride with a backpack (change of clothes/lunch).

During the winter I have an aluminum frame road bike set up similar to my summer one, except that it's got bar end shifters (so I can shift with heavy winter gloves on), fenders, a rear rack, 32 mm tires with a little bit of grip for snow, and studded flat pedals (so I can wear warm winter boots).  Winter cycling gear is a mixed bag of whatever works in very cold temperatures.  I have some heavy weight tights, several warm sweat wicking fleece sweaters, a bright neon green windshell with lots of reflective stuff on it, a neoprene face mask, an old bike helmet with all the vents taped shut, a touque, ski gloves, wool socks, and insulated hiking boots.  Usually I'll use panniers in the winter because I find that my back gets super sweaty and uncomfy with all those layers and a backpack on top.

I just bought a pair of M-540s as my first set of clipless pedals. I still need to get shoes though - do you have any MTB shoe recommendations?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »

I just bought a pair of M-540s as my first set of clipless pedals. I still need to get shoes though - do you have any MTB shoe recommendations?

Nothing brand specific.  I got some typical racing type mountain bike shoes Exustar somethingorothers . . . they have a few rows of big lugs on the bottom for running around in mud.  They work fine, and I'm very used to them now.

If I was doing it over again I'd get some with relatively flat bottoms and a recessed hole for the cleat like these:

I think that for city use the second type are way better.  Being up on those lugs makes walking around on regular road a bit slippery (although they're great on muddy fields).  I think that it's probably easier to clip in with the second type too, because they're naturally going to channel your foot to the cleat.  (Sometimes you don't quite put your foot in the right spot with the type that I have and there's a lot of room for the foot to slip around on the pedal.)  Pearl Izumi and Shimano both make reasonably priced cycling shoes of this type.

Fit is more important than anything else though.  Make sure the shoes fit well, (not loose in the heel box, not tight on the sides) and make sure that there's a little extra room because your feet will swell a tad after a couple hours on the bike.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
Shoes

Thanks for this.  I know quite a bit about running shoes but absolutely nothing about biking.  Actually didn't even know these existed.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »
I ride 5 miles each way, all year long, for 17 years. I wear regular clothing with a bright yellow jacket, in winter I tend to over dress and sweat more.
When I get to work I use baby wipes to clean up. I usually wear my work clothing except I always wear sweat pants to and fro so as not to get grease on my nice pants. I also wear sneakers adn chane in to my heels at work.

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 09:28:56 PM »
My bike commute is 12.5 miles each way in moderate SF Bay Area temperatures.  In the morning, I basically roll out of bed and throw on yesterday's shirt--gross, I know, but it makes for one less shirt each day that I'll need to wash.  I also wear a helmet, padded bike pants, and sneakers. I always bring a change of clothes to change in to, and when I arrive at work I skedaddle immediately to the shower.  When the weather is cold and/or foggy, I wear a wool sweater because it breathes better than windbreaker-type jackets, which make me too sweaty.  I'm a bit of a weather wimp and would rather carpool than ride my bike in the rain.

For visibility, I wear a fluorescent orange mesh reflector vest.  They're cheap, lightweight (can be rolled up into a ball in my pannier when I get to the office), and super visible at night.

Lastly, I usually wear full-finger cycling gloves.  I had a bad bike crash as a kid which caused road rash on my hands, so I'm mindful of protecting them now.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
ok, sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread. I live in a part of Michigan that can get pretty cold,not a ton of snow usually. Dead of winter it can average mid to low 20's F, sometimes colder. I don't commute by bike but have tried riding it more for trips to the market, library, bank etc. I've figured out how to stay warm other than fingers. Even when I MTB'iked regularly the fingers would be the first to go. Can anyone recommend a good mit that will keep me warm. Iv'e tried lobster mitts, cycling gloves inside mittens etc. Not looking to spend a lot either. Suggestions??
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:56:43 AM by MatthewK »

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
My commute is a little over 7 miles one way. Wearing regular clothes was okay for a while, but warm and sweaty in the cotton underwear led to jock itch, so now I wear biking shorts that I hang to dry in my cubicle. I bring a stack of underwear and some pants to work each week to change into and bring the underwear home each night and change back into it. I like golf shirts since they are business friendly and non-sweaty enough to just keep wearing all day.

Less than about 55 degrees I need full finger gloves, less than about 50 I'll wear tights. Wind vest/armsleeves/jacket/helmet liner depending on what's comfortable for the weather. Safety glasses and a helmet. Reflective bib and ankle straps if it is dark outside. I'm sure I look like a dork in my biking gear, but no one has driven into me yet.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
ok, sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread. I live in a part of Michigan that can get pretty cold,not a ton of snow usually. Dead of winter it can average mid to low 20's F, sometimes colder. I don't commute by bike but have tried riding it more for trips to the market, library, bank etc. I've figured out how to stay warm other than fingers. Even when I MTB'iked regularly the fingers would be the first to go. Can anyone recommend a good mit that will keep me warm. Iv'e tried lobster mitts, cycling gloves inside mittens etc. Not looking to spend a lot either. Suggestions??
@MatthewK: You need a windproof solution. I use a pair of larger windproof mittens over whatever weight warm glove seems appropriate. I have found that I typically need very little insulation once the windproof layer is on. For reference, I also tried lobster mitts and found they got soaked with sweat very quickly.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
@MatthewK: You need a windproof solution. I use a pair of larger windproof mittens over whatever weight warm glove seems appropriate. I have found that I typically need very little insulation once the windproof layer is on. For reference, I also tried lobster mitts and found they got soaked with sweat very quickly.

Thanks for the tip! I found some reasonably priced smart wool gloves as liners and a pair of wind/water proof mittens on amazon. Waiting for them to show up and give them a test, it's been extremely cold here the last few days, looks like it will continue for awhile so this should be a good test :-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »

Thanks for the tip! I found some reasonably priced smart wool gloves as liners and a pair of wind/water proof mittens on amazon. Waiting for them to show up and give them a test, it's been extremely cold here the last few days, looks like it will continue for awhile so this should be a good test :-)

Layering like that works very well (and as a side bonus it's easier to dry everything out quickly), but be aware that the inner and outer gloves shouldn't fit too snug.  If they're snug it reduces blood flow which will freeze your hands very quickly.  Generally I've got to size up two sizes for the outer layer.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
I just wear work clothes and boots. Sometimes I wear a jacket when I’m biking and throw a cute sweater in m6 bavkback. In the winter, I wear a helmet with a beanie underneath to keep my head warm. I bring a hairbrush. That’s about it. I think biking is easier if I don’t have to worry about dressin* differently than if I was driving.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!