Author Topic: Bicycle storage and the apartment dweller  (Read 11858 times)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
Bicycle storage and the apartment dweller
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
How do people in small spaces store bikes?

I plan to ride 3+ times a week so whatever option I pick needs to be easy to use. I also have custody of my boyfriend's bike and ideally would like to keep hanging onto it for him as we will likely use the bikes more in my new place (moving from city fringe to inner suburbs, so lots of places we previously walked we would now need to bike.) Boyfriend doesn't live with me, but it's a long distance relationship, and he often takes lifts with friends who are coming to the city for work or study commitments so carting the bike to and fro would not be practical. So something that stores two bikes would be good (although not 100% necessary).
Also, I don't think I can really attach anything substantial to the wall/ceiling.

I've seen this and thought it could work:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Michelangelo-Two-Bike-Gravity-Stand/dp/B000ACAM38
Does anyone have any opinions on it.

Other options. Store on front porch (however this was where I was hoping to put my patio furniture, however I could put patio furniture behind my back door in the shared yard as some other people living in the complex seem to have done.) Also then I need to find a way to lock it to something (Any ideas?) I was thinking though some sort of vertical storage system outside could be ok - maybe a pulley system? But how damaged would a bike get living outside all the time (undercover but outside) - it doesn't snow but it does rain approx 3 months of the year.

Approach building management regarding using the common laundry (seems to be not very well kept and have heaps of people's junk in it anyway.) Again would need some sort of rack to get it on the wall. Any ideas?

Can't use bathtub as shower is in bathtub ;-)

Could store boyfriends bike at nearby friend's house in their massive but not locked shed (though this may not be a permanent option, as they most likely want to hunt for a new place when their lease is up in February, as they now have better jobs and therefore more choice of rentals.) Any ideas of something to lock the bike to in the shed?

Other ideas - Has anyone seen a vertical mounting system that you could mount to the side of a free standing wardrobe (rather than a wall) or would this likely overbalance the wardrobe.

Thanks!

Thegoblinchief

Re: Bicycle storage and the apartment dweller
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
No specific experience with that rack, but wall-mounting bikes is a popular option for apartment dwelling Mustachians. I would do that as first choice.

Second choice would be using a bike lock on front porch. If it is covered and you don't typically get bad storms where rain comes in through the sides, the bikes will be fine. The main disadvantage would be that determined thieves can defeat bike locks - even really good ones - quite quickly.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
I have a tiny apartment, and have been looking at the same bike stand (although I've been holding off since at the moment I only have one bicycle.)

I would not store my bikes outside, as the weather will mess with your gears and chain, meaning you will have more maintenance issues than if you kept it inside.

I keep my bicycle in the front entryway. The tire sticks out a bit past the hallway, but I just put a little end table on that wall, and haven't had any problems. Do you have anywhere slightly out of the way where you could just prop the bike when not using it?

Edited to add: To keep from getting black marks on the walls from the tire/handlebars I put up squares of material using picture tape (so it is safe on paint).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:36:26 PM by GamerGirl »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
Posting to follow :)

We have a little room attached to our carport, and that 2 bike stand looks very nifty. At my previous office they had similar freestanding pieces to hang bikes off. Perthcyclist uses something similar
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog/category/bike-storage-solutions/

Blake12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
I have a Gear Up lean machine in our small garage to store two mountain bikes, and have been quite happy with it.

http://www.mygearup.com/inc/sdetail/40090___lean_machine/421/7590

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
I leave it in the tiny common area lobby (has locked door).  I share the lobby with 3 other apartments.  One of my neighbors leaves his bike in the lobby also.  Thankfully management allows it because I really have not walls to left in my apartment to accommodate another item.  My cats' cat tree, shelves and litter boxes take up some space.

cupcakes4all

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »
A bit more expensive but we have this one. It's extremely study and easy to put together and take/put bikes on. http://www.amazon.com/Thule-872xt-BSTK2-Bike-Stacker/dp/B001PQVOOY/ref=sr_1_11?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1405314697&sr=1-11&keywords=bike+rack+indoor

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
I've had that rack for 10+ years, and LOVE it.  No holes to drill, very sturdy and stable, especially once you put a bike or two on it, and as I recall it was pretty easy to put together.  Only minor flaw I've found with it is that the bike cables/wires on the underside of your top bar will cut through the rubber sheathing on the arms pretty fast--I've heard of some people wrapping tape around them to keep them from shredding.  I put socks over mine--not fancy, but it works.  :)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
One of my old housemates kept his bike in the dining room. That seemed to work fine.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
I have one of these. A little pricey, but made in Melbs and mails flat-packed and as it disassembles easily I figured it would be easy for me to cart around if I move interstate again. http://www.bikerax.com.au/home.html

However I have the space for it in the living room as I live in a rented house rather than an apartment. I would second the advice about keeping the bike inside to prevent rust, etc.

theconcierge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:06:28 AM »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »
Ooh thanks for the ideas...i like the look of the gravity stand but i feel something like the thul.would be easier to use. Thanks to everyone eho pointed out the importance of covering the gravity stand to prevent scuff marks. I am actually super paranoif about this because the rental is in very good shape. Has anyone tried a propping some sort of backing board up behind the stand to protect from tire marks etc? Wad thinking if i covered it in wallpaper or something i could make it arty....

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
We live in a small 1 bedroom, 3rd floor, and just keep our 2 bikes in the living room against a wall.  Just make sure you don't have a really heavy bike and stairs shouldn't be too big of a problem once you learn how to carry it properly.

I used to keep it downstairs inside the locked building front door, cable locked to the inside stair railing, but you could see it from the street and someone broke in and got it, so I would say never store your bike long term where someone can see it, even if it seems like a secure location.

What's the point of a wall mount?  Doesn't it use the same space as just leaning your bike there?  Does it let you put your bike up over something like the couch?  Will you really want to lift your bike up and down all the time?  Or is just so you can keep one over the other?  That doesn't seem like a big space saver either.  Just seems like more hassle than it's worth.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
Sounds like you're pretty sure you feel safest with it inside, but if you've got a safe enough outdoor location and are just concerned about rain, this is what I have (or something just like it, not sure if this is the exact same one):
http://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-City-Silver-waterproof-bicycle/dp/B008QUG62M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405359965&sr=8-2&keywords=KLOUD+City+%C2%AE+190T+Nylon+Waterproof+Bike%2F+Bicycle+Cover+%28Size%3A+L%29

We have a private balcony and keep our bikes out there all the time. After I finally got mine fixed up (7 years of rain and dust did leave it needing a bit of work!) I got this cover and it seems to be doing just fine staying dry and clean under there, even after a couple of fairly strong rainstorms. Granted it's been a drought year, but when it did rain it came down pretty solidly and often sideways. Depending on the size you buy, I think you could probably even just use one cover for 2 bikes, although I haven't tried it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Oooh the cover could work quite well. My ground floor balcony is visible from the street so.also not ideal from a theft point of view, but it's not a sentimental bike and it's covered by insurance. I would still need to lock i to something.

The point of the rack is it.allows you to stack one bike on top of the other freeong up floor space.

beege

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Fired during covid
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
We keep two bikes in our living room on a tarp leaning against the wall. Have been using this system for over a year. We are currently in 700 sq feet so there's plenty of space. I was thinking about getting a gravity stand about a year ago when we were in a 300 sq feet studio but I really try to question each new thing I buy these days and it didn't seem worth it.

We have kept up to 4 bikes at one time in our 300 sqft place and that still wasn't too big a deal. We have also entertained about 10 people including ourselves in that same space with our two bikes in there as well. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm just pointing out that you can make it work without spending the money if you don't want to.

For apartments, we find it works best if you are at the terrace level for bikes (especially if you have lots of baskets full of groceries, etc). Makes it nice.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »
I've kept thinking and talked to my friend she is happy to store my boyfriend's bike in their shed (they live just a couple of blocks away). It's not the most weatherproof shed (and his bike is good and new) so I'll be grabbing one of the $10 bike covers suggested by KS. This is probably the most practical solution, although my friend has said she may not renew her lease when it expires in February. But for now, this will work.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Was going to just drop this link here: http://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sports-Velo-Wall-Black/dp/B004UDLVC4/

This wall mount is nice, VERY adjustable, holds a bike well, and couldn't be easier to get a bike on and off of. For anyone looking for wall storage, it seems to be a good option.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 08:55:47 AM »
For wall or ceiling mounted racks, you need to find out where the studs are first, assuming your apartment is drywall (versus concrete or lath and plaster).  You might ask the building management for assistance.  The rack will not hold screwed into an anchor (without being screwed into a wood stud).  If you find studs in a workable location, the rest is easy.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »
The wall is very nice smooth plaster so drilling anything in is out of the question :(
Also an issue for my TV, but I've solved that one by deciding to put it in the bedroom, as there really isn't room for a TV stand, the only option would be to put it on the wall.
I'm super excited about living in a small space, but there are some problems to solve first.